Author Topic: 2020 The Final Year of "Roads To Madness".  (Read 2030 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2020 The Final Year of "Roads To Madness".
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
2020:
Well it's been a year that will never be forgotten and will live in infamy and we're only half way through it, who knows what's in store for the next six months to close out 2020. But between the Covid 19 virus and all it's sickness, death, economic ramifications and hardships. All the societal and political issues ongoing currently and who knows what else is in store leading up to the presidential election and beyond lol. Buckle up folks it's gonna be a wild ride.

So, with that said. What better year than 2020 to announce that this will be the final year of operation for the "Roads To Madness Forum." Upon the termination of the 2020 yearly registration cycle for this forum, which I believe runs out in either September or October. The renewal will be cancelled and left to expire, thus terminating this forum from existence. 

I honestly have been contemplating the closure of this site for the last two renewal years and somehow kept fighting myself to keep it going this long. With my limited computer skills I'm surprised that I've been able to hold this place together for as long as I did. It's been entertaining and fun at times, but it is also something else I have to dedicate resources, time and energy to as well as watch and police the site (although not much policing has ever been required). This site has been spared for the most part of spam, and anyone ever needing to be "Warned" or "Banned" unlike the well known boards that preceded this one.

A sincere thank you and appreciation to all who have participated, or lurked and followed along for the ride these last six years. for those who'd like to stay in touch after the final curtain comes down, I will be continuing to participate under the same handle (njfirefighter) at the Official Queensryche website fan forum and who knows maybe over at the Dream Theatre Forum as well from time to time. I certainly welcome the savings of (albeit, not that pricey) the costs associated with running this forum, and lets face it, at this point there's nothing I have left to say or give my opinion or commentary on regarding music that can't be posted on the other two aforementioned forums. I no longer need a podium/soap box  ;D

My involvement in taking over this forum served it's intended purpose quite some while ago and was due to a matter of circumstantial happenstance. I never intended or planned to be a forum administrator to begin with, let alone to be one for any extended period of time or forever. I stuck it out for six years, which is longer than I had anticipated. I no longer see the need to do so.

Stay Safe Everyone!
Thanks for the support over these last six years!
 8)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:15:10 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
Re: 2020 The Final Year of "Roads To Madness".
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:33 PM »
Sorry to hear this forum is being shut down it gave me great freedom to share alot
of the players and music I enjoy with others who may not have ever experienced them.
 Thanks for that oportunity best of luck to everyone who has enjoyed the music and
Thank You for keeping this going this long.

Eye9

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »
I'm not entirely surprised, I've known this day would come, as you've discussed it with me several times over the last year or so. Surprised you hung in there as long as you did.

I'll miss this place when it's gone. Has always been a good place for ryche info and the whole beatdown room thread timeline was a comical and poignant piece of queensryche online community history and really set the record straight. 8) This place was also a good source for some cool band links, unknown music links, etc (thanks InnaGaddaDaVida and NJFF among others for that). Now is as god a time as any with the current status of live shows, uncertainty, lull in activity and queensryche news and i'm sure you have better things to do with your time. I've helped fly the flag for ya these last few years and it's been a pleasure  :)

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:46:41 AM »
Oh man, thanks for keeping the forum alive all this time!
I've always enjoyed having a place to dicuss the band and the live shows C:-)
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:50:40 AM »
I can dig man. I'm surprised we've stuck it out this long. Thanks NJF for keeping this goofy thing going for as long as you have. We've had some good times.

Any chance this place can simply be locked and retained in a "viewable only" kind of mode? Or is that just more unnecessary costs?
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

Operation:Queensr˙che

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
I can dig man. I'm surprised we've stuck it out this long. Thanks NJF for keeping this goofy thing going for as long as you have. We've had some good times.

Any chance this place can simply be locked and retained in a "viewable only" kind of mode? Or is that just more unnecessary costs?

I disagree (yet respect) NJ's decision on this. However, YES,  I agree Rock about keeping it in a "view only" mode if it's feasible.  8) 

ted262

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
Eh, you guys could always start a new board at one of the free hosting sites like ProBoards and then NJF wouldn’t be on the hook for hosting/domain fees.

Eye9

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »
Eh, you guys could always start a new board at one of the free hosting sites like ProBoards and then NJF wouldn’t be on the hook for hosting/domain fees.

Huh. Yeah there is an option. Someone would have to design it all from scratch though I would assume, definitely not in my wheelhouse lol.

ted262

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
With a place like proboards, thy specialize in message boards, so I don’t think there’s any designing involved.  I don’t think there’s really an customizing either, since it’s free (with ads).  Someone would still have to set it up different forums/sections etc) and moderate, but I believe they handle all the technical stuff behind the scenes.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 10:19:06 PM »
Sorry to hear this forum is being shut down it gave me great freedom to share alot
of the players and music I enjoy with others who may not have ever experienced them.
 Thanks for that oportunity best of luck to everyone who has enjoyed the music and
Thank You for keeping this going this long.

You were a big reason this site lasted this long, I got you to come in when this place was struggling a bit and you were far and away the leader in new topics posted, and second only to me in total posts. I'm glad you got some years of enjoyment out of it and sincerely also thank you for being here all this time.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »
I'm not entirely surprised, I've known this day would come, as you've discussed it with me several times over the last year or so. Surprised you hung in there as long as you did.

I'll miss this place when it's gone. Has always been a good place for ryche info and the whole beatdown room thread timeline was a comical and poignant piece of queensryche online community history and really set the record straight. 8) This place was also a good source for some cool band links, unknown music links, etc (thanks InnaGaddaDaVida and NJFF among others for that). Now is as god a time as any with the current status of live shows, uncertainty, lull in activity and queensryche news and i'm sure you have better things to do with your time. I've helped fly the flag for ya these last few years and it's been a pleasure  :)

Thank you greatly for your support all this time and yes, you were the first to know. You were another top 5 all time poster and it was greatly appreciated  8) Thank You!

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 10:24:17 PM »
Oh man, thanks for keeping the forum alive all this time!
I've always enjoyed having a place to dicuss the band and the live shows C:-)

You have been a die hard supporter of this place since just about the beginning my friend. Thank You!! You've spent a lot of hours here. I'll see you around I'm sure on the Queensryche official forum and DTF once this place goes down. Been a pleasure.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 10:27:45 PM »

You have been here since the beginning, have been a crazy and fun friend to have during this entire run. You also were a top 5 all time poster and contributed A LOT to this forum. I greatly thank you. Hope we can keep in touch via the Queensryche official forum. I believe you have my email, stay in touch when all is wrapped up here. Been a pleasure getting to know you and thanks for all the support.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »

I disagree (yet respect) NJ's decision on this. However, YES,  I agree Rock about keeping it in a "view only" mode if it's feasible.  8)

How did I know you'd disagree  ;D You can always take the site over, like I did from RTM and keep the place rolling. You or anyone else, for that matter that wants to have a go at it. It isn't that difficult and really doesn't cost all that much. I've just had enough and wanna concentrate on renovating my house and making money to survive this crazy Covid era shit were in. You also have been here from the get go and have been a top 10 contributor and I thank you! It's been a fun five years and a pleasure getting to know you. 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »

Oh, also a few of you asked about keeping the site online as a "View Only" mode type of thing so the site doesn't get wiped off the internet. I'm not real familiar with that but I would imagine you have to continue to pay for the rights to the site name for it to stay actively viewable, which I really have no desire to pay to do.