Author Topic: Building the Empire Campaign  (Read 16131 times)

seffles

• View Profile
Building the Empire Campaign
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »
This just popped up on YouTube. Anybody got any details?

http://youtu.be/zITXKmKZ4PM

starforsaken

• View Profile
Re: Building the Empire Campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
Looks like a Kickstarter-type thing. http://www.pledgemusic.com/ Curious... :-\

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
interesting, I guess we'll find out in a few days. If its a pre order type thing, I would assume its far too early to set up a pre order build up for the new record, if in fact its not coming out until April at the earliest. hmmmmm. Could it be what I've been waiting for...A live dvd/cd package and they wanna gauge pre orders to see how many to have produced? that would make sense... But the title throws me off a little bit, Building the Empire campaign? guess I'll wait to hear details, this could pretty much be anything
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Deathless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
Its up here - http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/queensryche

Quite a few different options. I'm not sure need quite what to think about this... But I suppose it's the future!

Grappler

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I know that the industry and underground metal bands have relied on this kind of campaign to record an album.  But to see an established band use it is a little scary.  Was their contract with Century Media for just one album?   Unless they need a crapload of funds to ensure a quality production on the record.

For die-hard fans, there are definitely some cool options if you have the money.  I'm of an old school belief.  I'll buy a cd, go to a show at times, and buy a t-shirt.  I don't have the disposable income to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at a band for trinkets or a chance to meet them....even a band that I love.

Maybe buying Geoff out of his shares was more costly than anyone thought.

bhg70

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:13 PM »
Michael Sweet posted a link to a PledgeMusic campaign today for his new Sweet/Lynch project. I asked him to clarify whether the campaign was for funding the album or just for special extras. He confirmed it's just for the extras. The album will be released on Frontiers regardless.

Based on the text of the one for Queensryche, as well as the fact that it's 137 days instead of the standard 30 or 60, I'm guessing this is the same. It's a pre-order + optional extras. Which actually ties in really well to another thread on here, where it's been suggested that the band kick their interactions with the fans up a notch. Maybe they listened.

Update: I just pre-ordered it through the PledgeMusic site, and confirmed via the FAQ that this is, indeed, just a pre-order with optional extras. It is not a fund-raising campaign, at least not for the album itself. Hence, the 137 days.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:39:12 PM by bhg70 »

Grappler

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Update: I just pre-ordered it through the PledgeMusic site, and confirmed via the FAQ that this is, indeed, just a pre-order with optional extras. It is not a fund-raising campaign, at least not for the album itself. Hence, the 137 days.

Cool - thanks for clarifying for the board.  I'm more familiar with underground bands that use the campaigns to fully fund a project/album/dvd, which explains my initial response.

I do agree that it is a nice way to include more fan interaction and give fans a multitude of options...additional cost = additional perks, if desired.

Hank Wrangler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I've pledged for a few bands this way. Good luck, boys!

Tommy Britt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
I've pre-ordered, as well.  ;D

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Lots of great stuff, I feel like they have big plans for the next album. Colour me excited. I just wish that that hoodie wasn't so expensive.  :(

But oh well. Going to be pre-ordering that autographed album posthaste.
What's becoming of me?

New Reign

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »
Holy crap!

jjrock88

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 01:52:56 AM »
I like this idea and hope it really benefits the band!

Tacomaryche

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
I like this as well and I think we are looking at the future of marketing for most of the music industry. They are basically 6 months out from a new album release. They will be able to collect revenue early for new album sales, they will get 6 months of buzz and build up, they will be able to collect demographic info on who is preordering and where they are for tour planning and they will be able to do all of this without much in the way of upfront investment. Depending upon how they have this structured with their record company and their (hopefully better) promoter this has the potential to really increase their revenue from releasing a new album and then successfully touring off of the new release. Done correctly this could and should be huge for the band. I'm looking forward preordering and seeing how this turns out.

AnybodyListening.net

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Tacomaryche hit the nail on the head.

It's additionally another revenue stream offering opportunities that don't really mean much more extra work for the band. This is completely aimed at hardcores, who have proven they'll spend lots of cash to do this stuff.

Off the top of my head, I can probably name 20 people that will gobble up what they can into the thousands of dollars. That's a huge payday for the band.

This is what bands (even established ones) do now. Look at what the big bands like GnR, Def Leppard, Journey all do -- they partner with a retail outlet. This is just QR partnering with fans to secure extra funding, and it helps market them at the same time.

Is it a kickstarter-type thing? Yes, in a way. It's not them asking you to fund the record, but it is them asking you to buy extras in order to give them more money. And like Tacoma said, this is the present and future for most bands.

Personally, I thought they should have done this on the last record, but I'm sure it would have looked desperate at the time, given the competition with Geoff. But I'm glad to see QR finally doing something that makes fiscal sense.

I won't be buying any of this stuff, but for people who haven't had access to them over the years (or have and want more), it looks fairly good. Good luck to them.

Grappler

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
The formal announcement was released via Billboard:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6304409/queensryche-equity

Rock act Queensryche is giving fans a chance to share in profits that the band generates through such avenues as merchandise and record sales.

For a minimum investment of $50,000, fans who pass an independent accreditation process can purchase an equity ownership stake from a private consolidated holding company that entitles them to “a fixed percentage” of future revenue, according to attorney Marc LoPresti of LoPresti Law Group, who helped Queensryche establish the LLC.

“This is an opportunity for fans to actually own an equity stake in the band,” says LoPresti. “There is nothing that they do as a unit as Queensryche that the fans that invest will not be a part of.”

LoPresti notes that the band is “only raising a certain amount of money”: a total of $2 million. He explains that while there have been “indications of interest” from potential investors, “we are hoping that we will engage more people instead of less, because for the guys, it’s about the music and it’s about the fans.” A prospectus will be available to potential investors to help evaluate whether they want to participate.

An internal board of directors comprising drummer Scott Rockenfield, bassist Eddie Jackson and guitarist Michael Wilton and band counsel Thomas Osinski will oversee the corporation. They are currently seeking an independent auditor to join the board; LoPresti expects one will be named soon.

The corporate opportunity will officially be announced at the beginning of November. At the same time, Queensryche will also be launching a separate PledgeMusic campaign that will focus on raising funds for recording the band’s next CD. However, money generated from fan buy-ins of the Queensryche corporation is a means of raising capital to give the group “the flexibility to do a lot of things,” says Rockenfield. He adds that the band has “a lot of big-picture stuff going on” that it hopes to do, such as “touring and being able to present ourselves in bigger ways.”
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:51:02 PM by Grappler »