Author Topic: Operation Mindcrime 2017-2018 Tour Dates and Footage  (Read 8461 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
Re: Operation Mindcrime 2017-2018 Tour Dates and Footage
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
Last time I saw Tate was the second show he did as Queensryche during the two Queensryche time.  It was 6 April 2013 at West Wendover, NV.  What a trainwreck that show was.  From his vocal issues and abundant arrogance, his band (Kelly"Oven Mitts" Gray, Rudy"Finger Lickin' Good" Sarzo, Randy "Leather Boy Dry Humping Keyboard That May Not Be Plugged In" Gane...it was almost as painful to watch as it was to listen to.  I'll admit I went to see how bad it would be and they did not let me down. 
Fast forward to 2018.  Currently living in Germany and a few months ago see that O:M are playing a headline show at a nearby venue (Colos Saal in Aschaffenburg).  Good venue, 500 capacity, good sound system.  Had seen some videos of this run of shows and Tate and his current band sound pretty good so figure it would be worth the 28 Euro (about 34 dollars). 
I was pleasantly surprised.  I went in with the bar low and the band cleared it with ease.  They were well rehearsed, both of the lead guitarists did great with their parts with only a few minor clams.  Considering what Tate had been sounding like last decade and a half, he was at least as good as when I saw QR when they opened for Priest in 2005.  He was on key for 98 percent of the set.  He nailed the notes that mattered, didn't seem winded after long note holds, and no sign of wine on stage.  The band impressed me.  Yeah the leads arent Wilton or DeGarmo but are leaps and bounds better than Sarzo and Gray.  It was nice having the third guitar on many of the songs when he wasnt busy doing keyboards.  And the backing vocals were in key as well.  What a treat  ;)  Think a really good cover band like one that plays outside their home base (think the Iron Maidens).  And a nice surprise was Tobias Sammet showing up to sing on Jet City Woman to close the show.  Tobias is the mainman behind the Avantasia project that Tate sang on and did some shows with a few years ago.  That was pretty cool.  Crowd was about 250 folks. 
It's easy to bash on Tate.  He brought a lot on himself with his actions leading up to his removal from QR in 2012.  But he is still a huge part of why QR still has a fanbase.  Age is cruel to singers.  Add the stress of touring, not taking care of your instrument by smoking and drinking , and stress from outside (band issues, personal issues, etc) and its no surprise that Tate's voice sounded like crap.  My issue with his singing his last decade in QR was he didnt seem to give a shit. I don't get upset with singers that have to drop an octave instead of going for the high note .  Age happens.  It was the being off key, being pitchy, talking down to the audience, seeing the tension between him and his now former bandmates.  And it got worse from year to year till the wheels came off in 2012.  Tonite I saw a singer who gave a damn again.  Who didn't phone the show in.  Who had a band who could play their instruments and knew the songs and played them well.  Is he beating Mindcrime to death?  Sure.  Would it be nice to hear something besides this album and Empire, Best I Can, Jet City Woman, and Silent Lucidity.  Hell yes. Grab some stuff from Warning and Rage to sprinkle in the setlist.  Now that he has more of his voice back it would be great.  But I'm not the one that has to sing those songs to make my living.  It's tough for any singer to find their way when the voice starts to falter but when you have a vocal legacy like Tate has, the ego hit has to be 100 times worse. 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »
Welcome aboard Radardude. Great to have ya  8)

Glad you enjoyed the show. The more I see and hear of Mouton, I like his playing much more than Kelly. The recent footage has been much better, those guys are sounding pretty good. I don't know how much time they put into rehearsing but it doesn't sound bad at all. Tate sounded alright in that stretch of dates especially given how many dates in a row they played without a break in the schedule.

I will definitely catch a show when the tour hits the States later in the year. I wanna see it in person, as opposed to shitty you tube vids, just how much improved his vocals and this lineup are. Your saying you think he sounds as good as back on the 05 Priest tour. That's a substantial upgrade from recent years. I'll have to hear that for myself  :D

So how's Germany? if ya don't mind my asking. You relocate there for work, pleasure, Military (a guess based on your name).

Enjoy the forum.   
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
I reviewed the Wendover show on the old BDR forum back in 2013 and I may have been the one to have coined Oven Mitts in that review but not 100% sure on that.  But it did seem to take on a life of its own after that.   8)  Every time Gray and Sarzo went for the ringing chords or the picked bits in Waiting for 22 or things like Speak or Needle and they just fell flat.  Much better last night.  I wasnt a fan of Gray or Stone in QR, neither gel'ed with Wilton.  Parker was a lucky find for them and he's come into his own. 

I think Gray might be road managing with O:M.  There was a guy on stage between acts with the beard that could have been him but without the hat...not really sure.

I thought Moughton did a great job last night.  And that kid Robertson was amazing for his age I thought and him and the bass player doing double duty every show is a good workout.  Their band's set was about 30 minutes.  Every player was an upgrade from the last iteration I saw 5 years ago. 

Definitely worth seeing when they swing thru the States next time.  I can live with dropped tunings and going an octave lower for the high notes on occasion with high support from background singers but he nailed for the most part the ones you hope to hear last night.   A lot less pulling the mic away when going for the high ones. 

Germany has it's good and bad for me.  Spouse works for US government and I am along for the ride as semi retired/funemployed.  This is our second time over here and its nice to be in the Frankfurt area (last time was out in the countryside).  Plus is being able to get anywhere in Europe by plane in 3 hours or less by direct flights.  Lots of opportunities to see bands more so than in the States sometimes.  Minus for me is just how the Germans/Europeans do things.  No pay at the pump gasoline, no drive through ATM's, shops closed on Sundays, parking sucks, you need a PhD to keep track of your trash sorting (they actually have a calendar to let you know what days what flavors of trash go to the curb), paying to use toilets most anywhere, they dont know how to queue.  Just little annoyances.  They've gotten better about taking credit cards in a alot of places than they did 8 years ago. 

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
what? You have to pay to use the bathroom in Germany/Europe? that's fucked up. I bet you get non stop opportunity to see some great bands though over there the US is so big many markets get totally missed or are out of driving range to get to without a multi hour road trip. 

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »
Here a bunch more I found that have been posted from recent dates for those that want to study the varying degrees of sound quality and the quality of the material as the tour progresses.

My empty room/Eyes of a stranger 1/20/18 Rebellion, Manchester UK
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw-MKNUliQ8
Operation mindcrime 1/21/18 Tivoli Buckley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NYosRm8vYI
Speak 1/13/18 The Corporation Sheffield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhDcfNKP4Zo
Suite sister mary 2/6/18 Colos-Saal Aschaffenburg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3stVyCAoc
Suite sister mary 1/20/18 Rebellion Manchester https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_reBG4P28
Jet city woman 1/20/18 Rebellion Manchester https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26JB7RCPO6c

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
Here is a nice little treat.

Someone Else 1/15/18 The Garage, Glasgow
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23rRpf-X9mE

Speak-  from that same show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAC6KNAtLPk

this is cool, here is Bruno Sa who is playing keyboards for Operation Mindcrime on the current tour doing a version of, yep
Someone Else https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAjtAXNYb4
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:10:48 PM by Eye9 »

Bgs1972

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
The Needle Lies 1:45 is pretty cool to see / hear...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4ApRso9tg

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Yeah, that's a pretty impressive wail. Nice work.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
Last time I saw Tate was the second show he did as Queensryche during the two Queensryche time.  It was 6 April 2013 at West Wendover, NV.  What a trainwreck that show was.  From his vocal issues and abundant arrogance, his band (Kelly"Oven Mitts" Gray, Rudy"Finger Lickin' Good" Sarzo, Randy "Leather Boy Dry Humping Keyboard That May Not Be Plugged In" Gane...it was almost as painful to watch as it was to listen to.  I'll admit I went to see how bad it would be and they did not let me down. 
Fast forward to 2018.  Currently living in Germany and a few months ago see that O:M are playing a headline show at a nearby venue (Colos Saal in Aschaffenburg).  Good venue, 500 capacity, good sound system.  Had seen some videos of this run of shows and Tate and his current band sound pretty good so figure it would be worth the 28 Euro (about 34 dollars). 
I was pleasantly surprised.  I went in with the bar low and the band cleared it with ease.  They were well rehearsed, both of the lead guitarists did great with their parts with only a few minor clams.  Considering what Tate had been sounding like last decade and a half, he was at least as good as when I saw QR when they opened for Priest in 2005.  He was on key for 98 percent of the set.  He nailed the notes that mattered, didn't seem winded after long note holds, and no sign of wine on stage.  The band impressed me.  Yeah the leads arent Wilton or DeGarmo but are leaps and bounds better than Sarzo and Gray.  It was nice having the third guitar on many of the songs when he wasnt busy doing keyboards.  And the backing vocals were in key as well.  What a treat  ;)  Think a really good cover band like one that plays outside their home base (think the Iron Maidens).  And a nice surprise was Tobias Sammet showing up to sing on Jet City Woman to close the show.  Tobias is the mainman behind the Avantasia project that Tate sang on and did some shows with a few years ago.  That was pretty cool.  Crowd was about 250 folks. 
It's easy to bash on Tate.  He brought a lot on himself with his actions leading up to his removal from QR in 2012.  But he is still a huge part of why QR still has a fanbase.  Age is cruel to singers.  Add the stress of touring, not taking care of your instrument by smoking and drinking , and stress from outside (band issues, personal issues, etc) and its no surprise that Tate's voice sounded like crap.  My issue with his singing his last decade in QR was he didnt seem to give a shit. I don't get upset with singers that have to drop an octave instead of going for the high note .  Age happens.  It was the being off key, being pitchy, talking down to the audience, seeing the tension between him and his now former bandmates.  And it got worse from year to year till the wheels came off in 2012.  Tonite I saw a singer who gave a damn again.  Who didn't phone the show in.  Who had a band who could play their instruments and knew the songs and played them well.  Is he beating Mindcrime to death?  Sure.  Would it be nice to hear something besides this album and Empire, Best I Can, Jet City Woman, and Silent Lucidity.  Hell yes. Grab some stuff from Warning and Rage to sprinkle in the setlist.  Now that he has more of his voice back it would be great.  But I'm not the one that has to sing those songs to make my living.  It's tough for any singer to find their way when the voice starts to falter but when you have a vocal legacy like Tate has, the ego hit has to be 100 times worse.

Be cool if footage of Tobias doing Jet city woman with him surfaces. I'd like to see that. He definitely sounds much improved and the music and vocals overall sound better. I like your assessment of no wine in sight, him giving a damn again and putting forth effort, it's about time. I wonder what sparked this all the sudden. A fresh newer group of musicians giving their all from Mouton down to the youngsters, or perhaps did seeing Todd up close and personal a few months back nailing the old material with a re-energized Queensryche maybe light a spark of competition in him.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:43:33 AM by Eye9 »

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
I'm thinking when he made that acoustic tour last year along with playing with new folks that weren't old hangers on from Myth or career replacements from other bands.  I think the young guns want to impress and took the time to dig in and learn the parts as a fan would.  And that rubbed off on Tate.  I honestly was expecting a minor trainwreck but I was happily surprised there wasnt one.  I'm guessing seeing Todd with his old band gave another kick to get him back on his game. 

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »

Great versions, and 3:21 is also impressive in the last one, if you ask me  >:D
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
I found that footage of Tobias doing Jet city woman with Geoff from the Feb 6th show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdv74ruk6QY

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
That's a really fun performance. And Tate even does a couple different cool vocal things I'd never noticed before. Good stuff.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

livgrnfan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:18 PM »

Great versions, and 3:21 is also impressive in the last one, if you ask me  >:D

The pre-solo scream and the 15 second sustained note beginning at 3:21 on Needle Lies were pretty impressive.  Sadly, I don't like the way he sang the rest of the song.  Someone Else was pretty good.  It seems like Tate mostly can perform those occasional treat songs well (see the acoustic I Will Remember from 2011 with just him and Parker).  He seems to vocally be on par with his 2-shows in Brazil last year here (meaning it sounds better to me than the last 10 years with him but I'd still prefer to hear Todd for most songs).

As for the band, I don't like the way the two full-time guitarists play most of the solos, and the rhythm section is nowhere near Scott/Eddie (especially the drummer).  They're still definitely better than his 2013-2015 band.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
Agreed the rhythm section is nowhere near as tight as Queensryche, that is why a loss of Scott would be a big hit. But the guitar work is an undeniable vast improvement over the Sarzo brother and Gray. He hits the vocals here and there but yes it's an inconsistent improvement at best.