Author Topic: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews  (Read 35936 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
Re: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2018, 05:26:53 AM »
I actually like Papa Roach live.  They always had a fun set when they played Rocklahoma.  The lead singer would walk across the benches in the VIP area up front to get to the GA folks behind it.  Skillet is pretty good live as well. 

Dropping Rocklahoma this year for the first time in years this year.  Just not enough bands I'm excited to see to justify the expense and the vibe has changed over the last two I went to.  They have Vince Neil high up in the order for Saturday nite (usually the biggest nite of the festival).  That alone was enough for me to say no lol.  Vince was headlining the Rockingham festival I went to in Nottingham UK last October.  I went to see a hockey game instead of suffering through him mumbling and huffing and puffing. 

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
I recently went to see this band called My Son the Hurricane, a "14 piece brasshop beast from Toronto/Niagara" and holy cow these guys rip ass. Their poster made me think they were a ska band, but it's basically hip hop (an emcee who raps) with a band and live horns. It's really fucking good. They played a triple-header last month and I went to two nights. And the third night when I was doing something else, I wish I were seeing them again. Great live show, especially if you're into dancing, and just a great energy all around. I haven't been this excited about a live band in a while.

http://www.msthofficial.com/
Birthday Cake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFuKyx9F1OQ
Smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noi4Is-jBeA
Ain't My Style (live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnemm3l168
Bottles Into Money (live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-2iA3KNkZI

And they're coming back in August for another triple-header. I'm getting tickets for all three shows this time.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:32 AM »
Good find on My Son The Hurricane, have to keep an eye and ear out for them. 

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
Graham Bonnet Band/Guido Stoecker's Bodyguerra
Musiktheater REX
Bensheim, Germany  15 May 2018

My second time seeing the Graham Bonnet Band, third time to see Bonnet sing (saw him with MSG last fall) and first time to see him do a full headline set.  Last time I saw the band they were kicking off the first band first night of an outdoor festival last summer in the UK so weather and sound issues.  But indoors this time with their own setup.

Wasn't expecting an opening band but there they were lol.  Guido Stoecker's Bodyguerra.  Guido is the guitarist and very much a Blackmore fan.  Good set, they got about 40 minutes.  Think post Dio Rainbow faster songs.  Especially sounded like Stranger In Us All, Blackmore's last before he joined the lute and harpsichord time machine.  Englishman Ian Parry on vocals kinda sounded like Doogie White (vocalist on that last Rainbow platter) which added a bit more to the Rainbow influence.  Nice surprise, songs went over well and Guido was a good guitarist.  Rhythm section was tight, no major clams  >:D

Bands sharing backline and drum kit so changeover was fairly quick.

I was right up front for the show.  I was blown away at the sheer power of Bonnet's voice.  At a few points he was right infront of me, and having the PA speakers behind me, I heard his voice live and the power was incredible.  Taking into he is 70 years old and singing in original key for most songs, he puts many singers half his age to shame.  He moves around the stage, lots of fun on that stage, everyone smiling and having fun. 

Considering the guitarists he's played and recorded with (Blackmore, Schenker, Malmsteen, Vai, etc) he's tapped a guy named Kurt James to handle the guitar and handle it he does.  I was impressed with his comfort on stage, running around, hamming it up with the band and audience all set while nailing the solos.  He has the Malmsteen speed while still having feeling and soul in his playing. He emulated the original guitarists feel and tones. 

Joining Graham on keys was Jimmy Waldo, who he formed Alcatrazz with.  Sounded good from where I was, I wasnt getting most of the keys in the mix but the speakers were behind me for the most part.

Mark Benquechea on drums, the man can hit the skins.  Again handled the parts well.  Considering that he's covering some parts that Cozy Powell played originally he did very well.

On bass is Beth-Ami Heavenstone.  She's been the one stalwart in this iteration of the band since Graham put it together a few years ago.  Guess it helps when they are linked off the stage as well.  Having said that, she is a good bass player and backup singer.  And having to emulate Chris Glen and Roger Glover parts, she does well.

I like the fact that he only plays songs he sang on from Rainbow and MSG.  Annoys me to no end when, for example, Joe Lynn Turner plays Smoke On The Water.  Yeah you sang it when you were in Rainbow and Deep Purple, but you werent the one who recorded it, and you have enough Rainbow albums you sang on to pull songs from. 

The band played about a 100 minute set. Definitely worth seeing live if he's in your area, tickets wont break the bank and you'll get to hear one of rock's unique vocalists.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
I recently went to see this band called My Son the Hurricane, a "14 piece brasshop beast from Toronto/Niagara" and holy cow these guys rip ass. Their poster made me think they were a ska band, but it's basically hip hop (an emcee who raps) with a band and live horns. It's really fucking good. They played a triple-header last month and I went to two nights. And the third night when I was doing something else, I wish I were seeing them again. Great live show, especially if you're into dancing, and just a great energy all around. I haven't been this excited about a live band in a while.

http://www.msthofficial.com/
Birthday Cake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFuKyx9F1OQ
Smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noi4Is-jBeA
Ain't My Style (live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnemm3l168
Bottles Into Money (live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-2iA3KNkZI

And they're coming back in August for another triple-header. I'm getting tickets for all three shows this time.

Those guys are actually pretty catchy and decent, I liked a few of those tunes.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
And yes, Bonnett sounded damn good at 70 in those Schenker Fest links, so I'm sure that was a great show  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:39 PM »
Sons of Apollo, Felix Martin and Sifting at the TLA in Philly Wed May 16, 2018.

Sons of Apollo had two opening acts both California bands, the first to play was a band called Sifting, I got there after they had completed their set, a few people I talked to said they were decent. The next band Felix Martin was all instrumental stuff and featured Felix playing a custom made double fret board 14 string guitar. Very heavy bass and guitar driven stuff with a solid drummer. The first few instrumentals were pretty cool kick ass jamming but it did get a little redundant.
Here is a look at them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzi4HTmjqI4

Sons of Apollo then came on they played their entire debut album with two Dream Theatre covers (Just let Me Breathe and Lines in the Sand), along with cover songs by Queen (The Prophets Song & Save Me) and Van Halen (The Cradle Will Rock) mixed in. They also did a kick ass instrumental of The Pink Panther Theme led by Bumblefoot, and Sheehan and Sherinian had solo spots.

Jeff Scott Soto was very impressive with his command and stage banter and vocals. Bumblefoot was insane and on his A game, I gained a ton of respect for him. Sheehan was excellent as was his bass solo. Sherinian's style didn't impress me all that much especially his solo, his playing just sounds too much like guitar noodling, and they already had plenty of that, so he kinda gets lost in the mix if you ask me. His playing was more noticeable and sounded better on the record than live. Portnoy was mostly low key but rock solid on drums all night.

The crowd was very into the band. Aside from the Queen and Van Halen cover songs and the few tunes I heard on you tube a couple times from the album I didn't know any of these songs but they kept everybody's attention pretty much from beginning to end. Excellent live band. I was surprised at the turnout, I actually thought when I purchased the tickets that these guys would sell out this venue. The venue was probably less than half capacity (which is 1,000). I'll venture a guess at maybe 450 to 500 people were there and that is being generous. UFO/Saxon and Michael Schenker Fest at this same venue was way more attended than this show. If you get the chance go see them, you won't be disappointed.   

Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »
Iron Maiden/Killswitch Engage
Saku Suurhall
Tallinn, Estonia 26 May 2018

Had a bit of an issue getting to Frankfurt airport Friday evening due to a broke train but after running thru the terminal we made our flight which ended being delayed itself.  Several Maiden fans on the flight.  Saturday touring around Tallinn was more Maiden clothed fans around old town. 

Headed to the venue around 1800 and no issues getting in (not even a security pat down).  Nice venue 10000 capacity for concerts.

This was first night for Maiden's Legacy Of The Beast tour and deep lines for the new merch on offer.  Lots of fans from our of Estonia we wondered if any locals got tix lol.

Killswitch Engage played a 50 minute set to start.  Not a huge fan but I do enjoy the banter from lead guitarist and Price Is Right contestant Adam D and his stage moves.  They closed out their set with their cover of Holy Diver.  They had plenty of room to maneuver on stage and full PA and lights. 

After they left Maiden's crew set up the monitor wedges and when Doctor Doctor kicked in on the PA two roadies dressed in UK army battle dress uniforms pulled the black coverings to reveal their usual stage setup covered in olive drab camo netting.  Lites go down and Churchill's Never Surrender speech comes over the PA.  Aces High kicked off the set with a full sized inflatable Spitfire over the stage with spinning propeller and lights.  Oh and it tracked out over the front part of the crowd and moved on all axis.  At the end of the song the plane was nose up behind the back risers as stage went black to sound of aircraft crashing (allowing crew to deflate and disconnect rigging)  Lights back up for Where Eagles Dare.  Two more inflatables overhead thru the show ( Icarus during Flight Of Icarus, this song played for the first time since 1986!) and a horned Eddie head during Iron Maiden.

The set list saw other songs getting aired out including The Clansman and The Sign Of The Cross from Blaze Bayley's turn with Maiden along with Revelation and For The Heater Good Of God.  Hallowed Be The Name made a return to the set after being left out during the second half of Book Of Souls tour cycle due to a lawsuit over royalties. 

This was the best staging I've seen from Maiden in ages.  The amount of detail in the huge hand painted backdrops still blows my mind with a new one for each song as well as four others flanking that are painted as stain glass church windows.

Lots of propane. Think they've been hanging out with Rammstein.  Bruce even had a two fisted flame thrower during Icarus which had a malfunction for a bit with the left thrower.  Whose bright idea was it to give him a flame thrower anyway?  I told my wife that this is how Nicko will die  this tour lol.

Bruce was his at his theatrical best.  almost as many costume changes as Hqlford.  From flying officer coat and leather helmet for Aces High, to winter hat and white anorak for Where Eagles Dare to a 19th century nightwatchman costume with top hat and a long nosed silver carnival eyemask with green lighted lantern for Fear Of The Dark.  No trooper jacket for him this tour during the Trooper as Eddie made an early appearance decked out as a British redcoat  complete with backpack and bedroll to stalk the stage and swordfight with Bruce. 

The show was themed in four parts.  War Religion Death and Hell.  After the first five songs of war, all the camo netting was removed to show the artwork of a cathedral underneath.  It also gave a first look at Nicko's drumkit.  All the drum shells were painted with different stained glass versions of Eddie thru the years.  Drumhead was a round stained glass mosaic and cymbals were black with a blood red gong at the back.

Considering this was a first show for new stage and setlist not too many hiccup.  Sound was pretty good from our seats (lower bowl 9 rows up from floor about 70 feet from stage on right facing stage).  Nicko's drums really up in the mix.  Bruce was amazing on vocals. still moves all over like a loon.  Steve and the three guitarists were great as well.  Some minor hiccups but those will be ironed out in a few ahows. 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-kicks-off-legacy-of-the-beast-world-tour-in-tallinn-estonia-video/

Got back to our hotel about 2 hours after the show (pub stop to watch Liverpool lose to Real Madrid and bad karaoke) and already dozens of videos on you tube. 

If you are in Europe check out this show.  I'm curious how they'll handle the overhead props at festival gigs.  This is the best show I've seen from Maiden in years and the band sounds great.  Hopefully they tour North America next year with this and they need to film this setlist.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »
Sons Of Apollo
Hellraiser
Leipzig, Germany

I've been looking forward to seeing these guys live since their album Psychotic Symphony came out last year.  I've seen all of them play in other groupings over the years Sheehan starting in 1980 with Talas, then David Lee Roth, Mr Big, and Winery Dogs , Portnoy 1986-87 early Majesty shows, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, Winery Dogs, Sherinian 1989 with Alice Cooper, sort of with Kiss on the Revenge tour and then with Dream Theater.  Have seen Bumblefoot only once before with Guns and Roses at Rocklahoma and Soto a few times with Trans Siberian Orchestra. 

Four hour train ride to Leipzig, hotel check in then across the street to an Irish pub to watch Germany lose to South Korea and make their earliest exit from a world cup since Hitler was Chancellor here.  Then a cab to the venue a few miles away.

Hellraiser when you first come up on it looks like an abandoned building.  Its on the edge of a rail car repair facility.  But then you hear the band doing sound check inside.  That and the amount of Dream Theater and Winery Dog shirts waiting lets me know I found the right place.

No opener tonite.  Band is doing headline shows in between hitting festivals in Europe and this is there first show in Germany.

Venue probably holds 900-1000, maybe 400ish at the show.

All nine abum tracks get played along with a few solos (though not one from Portnoy) and covers including two Dream Theater songs from Falling Into Infinity (Sherinian's only full album with the band)

Soto is just an amazing vocalist and blew me away with his strength and soul in his voice.  I'd pay serious money to hear him do a set singing with Dream Theater.  The two DT songs sounded incredible with him on vocals (Just Let Me Breathe and Lines In The Sand).  He even channeled Dug Pinnick (who did some vox on Lines In The Sand on the album).  He then did the vocal canon part from Queen's Prophet song as his solo and man what pipes.  Then Bumblefoot came out to accompany him on Queen's Save Me (dedicated to Freddie Mercury and Vinnie Paul)

Bumblefoot was incredible.  Doubleneck guitar, top neck is fretless.  Just mindblowing to watch him play.  Oh he does high harmonies as well for vocals.  He doesnt have the depth in his voice that Soto does, but neither do a lot of full time rock singers.  Bumblefoot could be a full time lead singer if he wanted to.  The Pink Panther theme was a fun part of the set.

Billy Sheehan is the top rock bass player on my list.  I've seen him play live for 38 years now.  Never a bad set from him.  Kept his solo short, but still phenomenal.  He's rocking the double neck bass on this tour. 

Sherinian is my second favorite keyboardist from DT after Kevin Moore.  Definitely a rock and roller.  I can hear the Keith Emerson influence in his playing.  One the critcisms of him is that he trys to sound like a guitarist but thats a plus in this band.  It just fits the music.

I'm glad Portnoy is living up to his word in making Sons Of Apollo a priority the next 18 months.  It's my favorite project of his, hands down, since he left DT.  I like that this is a rock band with prog elements. 

They started a bit late so the encore was just one song.  The first release Coming Home.  I think it's the strongest song on the album and it was even better live.

They just finished a run of shows in the US before heading over here for the summer and early fall.  Hopefully they do another run next year.  Go see this band, you will not be disappointed.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
Update for remaining shows 2018:

22 July: Iced Earth
6 August: Armored Saint
7 August: Mr Big
9 August: Danzig
10 August: Municipal Waste
11 August: TSOL
14 September : Rick Astley
16 September: Kamelot
1 October: Tarja/Stradivarius
15 October: Saxon/Y&T/Raven @ Bataclan in Paris
19-21 October: Rockingham Festival in Nottingham, England
25 October: Glenn Hughes
26 October: Bullet For My Valentine
27 October: The Quireboys
30 October: Ross The Boss
1 November: Fish
5 November: Bonfire w guests
6 November: U2 in Dublin
14 November: CoreLeoni
19 November: Magnum
27 November: Doro
5 December: Nightwish

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
You do go to a few, don't ya  :D  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Update for remaining shows 2018:

22 July: Iced Earth
6 August: Armored Saint
7 August: Mr Big
9 August: Danzig
10 August: Municipal Waste
11 August: TSOL
14 September : Rick Astley
16 September: Kamelot
1 October: Tarja/Stradivarius
15 October: Saxon/Y&T/Raven @ Bataclan in Paris
19-21 October: Rockingham Festival in Nottingham, England
25 October: Glenn Hughes
26 October: Bullet For My Valentine
27 October: The Quireboys
30 October: Ross The Boss
1 November: Fish
5 November: Bonfire w guests
6 November: U2 in Dublin
14 November: CoreLeoni
19 November: Magnum
27 November: Doro
5 December: Nightwish

Nice! Some good ones on that list I'd love to see. Especially Raven, Quireboys, Ross the Boss, Fish and Doro.  8)
You'll dig the Armored Saint show, they kicked ass Wednesday night in PA. I almost didn't go cause I hate the ride out there especially on a weeknight but man am I glad I went. Great show. They were always one of my favorites from the eighties metal era. Never got to see them before until they opened for Queensryche in 2016 and now Wednesday nights headline show, better late than never.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Left out Midge Ure on 13 November.  My calendar app has been wonky lately hiding events then they reappear.

Armored Saint should be a great show.  Steady lineup, still sound great.  Hope they do most of Symbol.  Their run over here isn't being billed as them playing the whole album. 

I hear ya on dealing with drives to shows.  Some gigs are game day decisions for me.  Sometimes I don't want to stand for 4 hours in a venue with no AC when the temp outside is high. 

Saxon/Y&T/Raven will be awesome.  all three bands kick ass live and it's at a venue I've been wanting to see a show at.

U2 in Dublin should be interesting.

Fish will be bittersweet.  His voice is pretty well shot which he cops to.  Plus it's supposed to be his last live shows before he focuses on other things in life.

Quireboys are always a fun time live.

Be nice to see Ross The Boss, maybe I can email him to bring me some pizza from home....

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
Last night (9/8) I saw Tempe, Arizona's own Gin Blossoms' homecoming show. Their new album Mixed Reality is being hailed as their strongest since their 1992 breakthrough New Miserable Experience.

It's cool to see that the band is still in a good place overall, and making new music 30 years into their career. More importantly, with artistic integrity intact. Four out of five stars. Very impressed!  :)

I'd be remiss not to mention Big Head Todd & The Monsters, who opened the show, and who are also headliners in their own right. One word: FANTASTIC!

To my ears, they're kind of a hybrid of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, Tom Petty, and Dave Matthews to some extent--- all in one. It's like they drew from all those musicians and then created their own sound.

Singer and lead guitarist Todd Park is amazing, and seemingly overlooked in the music press. The musicianship in this band is top notch, to say the least.

Truth be told, going by crowd response, they gave the Blossoms a run for the money. They also played a 13-song set, which isn't very common for an opening act. A perfect double-bill, and I highly recommend fans of 90s rock to see this if you get a chance.  8)