Author Topic: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews  (Read 34559 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Saw Saxon recently with UFO here in Philly. Saxon put on a great show and were very well received here. Wish Diamond Head would have been on that bill too, would have loved to check them out. Byford was awesome and still has most his vocal range intact agreed.

Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Oh, also I picked up tickets to see Bush in Atlantic City in April. One of the better 90's bands in my opinion. That should be a good show.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons/Hellhorse
Das Bett
Frankfurt, Germany

Show wasn't quite sold out but looked close to me (400 capacity).  Way more folks in there than when I saw Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy last year.  Lots of Motorhead gear as to be expected. 

Hellhorse is out of Denmark and only caught half their set as they started a half hour earlier than what was printed on the ticket.  Not bad for a drop D tuned doom metal band.  Not my cup of tea but there you go. 

Phil Campbell and The Bastard Sons (Todd on guitar, Dane on drums, and Tyla on Bass and not his son Neil Starr on vocals) played a good set with eight of their own songs out of 19 played.  Lots of Motorhead of course.  Neil doesn't try to sing like Lemmy and Tyla doesn't use Lemmy's bass tones.  But they sound good as you have the guitarist that wrote and played those songs over 30 years.  The only song from before Phil's tenure with the band was Ace Of Spades.  I would have been fine had they not played it but I understand why they did and it did sound good.  They played a cover of the Hawkwind song Silver Machine (from Lemmy's time in Hawkwind and on the new album from these guys) and the Motorhead version of David Bowie's Heroes. 

Band sounds really good, like Motorhead but not if that makes any sense.  And that's a good thing.  Phil and the band have a lot of fun on stage and his sons have definitely got their musicianship and professionalism from their dad.  Worth checking out if they end up in your area.

Setlist:

Big Mouth
Freakshow
Deaf Forever
Rock Out
Cradle To The Grave
Welcome to Hell
Take Aim
Born to Raise Hell
Get On Your Knees
R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
Ringleader
Dark Days
Silver Machine
Ace of Spades
High Rule

Encore:

Just 'Cos You've Got The Power
Rock 'n' Roll
Heroes
Going to Brazil

Next up is Gotthard/Eric Martin (Mon) followed by Myrath (Thurs) and Pretty Maids/Pink Cream 69 (Fri)
Halestorm tix go on sale tomorrow for their October show in Frankfurt ;-)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
Sheryl Crow is playing the Winnipeg Folk Festival this July. Should be a good time.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6583067.stm

Well she won't need too much toilet paper....

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
I'm not touching that one  ;D 8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:18 AM »
Grabbed a ticket for Punky Meadows and Frank Dimino at the Trocadero in Philly in April doing an Angel reunion set. Michael Schenker fest kicked absolute ass last night I wrote more about that in the Michael Schenker Band thread. There's a few more good ones coming I have my eye on too.  8) 

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
Got tix yesterday to see:

Don Airey (Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blizzard Of Ozz, Gary Moore, etc) & Friends 23 March

Graham Bonnet Band 15 May

Glenn Hughes doing Deep Purple set 25 October

Might do G3 (Satriani/Petrucci/Uli Jon Roth) on 27 March

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
Gotthard/Eric Martin
Batschkapp
Frankfurt, Germany 12 March 2018
Was surprised to see the balcony closed and the back of the hall draped off to about 2/3rds of full capacity.

I got tickets for this show mainly for Eric Martin (Mr Big).  He's opening a set of dates over here for Gotthard, a melodic rock band out of Switzerland.

Eric Martin came out with an acoustic guitar and accompanied by another guitarist, Dave Cotterill.  Good set about 35 minutes.  I've always enjoyed him with Mr Big (who will be coming back thru in August) so I was glad to see him do an acoustic set.  Mostly Mr Big songs and their cover of Wild World.  After they played Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy Eric referred to Dave as the human electric drill (this is the Mr Big song where Paul Gilbert usually brings out the electric drill with picks on it).  Made me wish he had a longer set.

Gotthard has been around since 92 putting out their melodic rock.  This was their acoustic tour so the main band was rounded out with a percussionist and two female backup singers.  Had heard a few of their songs over the years and they are good musicians but lack a hook to make me do a deep dive into their catalog.  Deep Purple , Aerosmith and Bon Jovi are big influences on the band.  Most of their set last nite reminded me of later Bon Jovi ballads and melodic rockers, especially with the acoustic setting.  I did enjoy the percussionist and what he added to the vibe for sure.   They covered Deep Purple's version of Hush early in the setlist and closed out the night with a great cover of Smoke On The Water. 

I'd go see them again plugged in. 

Setlist

Miss Me
Out on My Own
Bang!
Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller
Beautiful
Feel What I Feel
Hush
Remember It's Me
Stay With Me
Tequila Symphony No. 5
Mountain Mama
Why
C'est La Vie
One Life, One Soul
Tell Me
Starlight
Sister Moon
Right On
Lift U Up

Encore:
Heaven
Anytime Anywhere
Smoke on the Water

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
Myrath/Manigance
Nachtleben
Frankfurt, Germany  15 March 2018

Pretty small venue in basement under a cafe in downtown Frankfurt. Maybe 250 capacity. My guess is about 150-175 at the show last night.

First up was Manigance, a band from France that sings in French.  They just got a new lead singer this year and she sounded pretty good.  They have a keyboardist still listed as being in the band on their website but he was no where to be found as they played as a five piece (vox, two guitars, bass and drums).  The keys were taped/triggered.  It was kind of amusing as they sang in French, stage patter in English in a German club.  Style very much like Kamelot and Angra overall.  First two songs the sound was muddy but they got it together.  Only drawback with the singer is some of the high notes were flat sounding.  One of the guitarists was playing a seven string.

The bands shared a drum rack and bass drums.  Swap out of cymbals and drums went pretty quick.  About 20 minutes between sets which was nice.  I hate the everything is ready but we're gonna make you wait cause rock and roll stuff. 

Myrath starts with a taped song and a bellydancer.  Then they launch into their set.  Straight into a new song from an album to be released later this year.  Third song of the set was also a new song called Dance which also saw the bellydancer return.  She would make two more appearances during the main set.  I've liked this band since seeing them open for Symphony X two years ago.  My wife does bellydancing so I am familiar with the melodies and percussion of Arabic music and this band blends metal very well with these influences.  The lead singer is a good frontman, engaging the crowd better than many others I have seen.  Guitarist plays a custom 7 string with Arab styled artwork on it.  He and the bass player are both incredible players.  Both have solo spots in songs that highlight their talents.  Drummer lays down the rhythms of his homeland very well blending them with the western rock styles.  Keyboards flesh out the band well. 

Encore was three songs, two of which had the bellydancer on stage with the band.  It was fun to watch all this happen on the very small stage at Nachtleben.  I'm sure other venues for this tour are comparable in stage size. 

Setlist:
Born To Survive
Storm of Lies
Dance
Wide Shut
Merciless Times
Get Your Freedom
Endure the Silence
Nobody's Lives
Madness
Sour Sigh
The Unburnt
Tales of the Sands

Encore:
Believer
(Unknown)
Beyond the Stars

Will definitely see both of these bands in the future and if they are in your neck of the woods, you should see them.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »
Sheryl Crow is playing the Winnipeg Folk Festival this July. Should be a good time.

I love Sheryl Crow! I finally got to see her in Oct. 2015, and she definitely brings it live. Enjoy.  8)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
Pretty Maids/Pink Cream 69
Colos Saal
Aschaffenburg, Germany  16 March 2018

Venue was close to sold out. 

Pink Cream 69 was a band I'd wanted to see live for awhile.  I'd heard some of their songs over the years, initially from wanting to hear Andi Deris' pre Helloween band. Good songs but not enough to get me to buy the discs. 

After seeing them live last Friday, I'm more of a fan now.  They are like Aerosmith where the studio albums don't really capture the energy and vibe of the live show.  They are in a special guest billing so they got to play for over an hour and 13 songs. 

Bass player Dennis Ward's bass tone was awesome and was more upfront in the mix without taking away from the rest of the band.  Good melodic metal usual influences (Maiden Priest Dokken Whitesnake etc).  Well worth checking out.  Pretty sure their band name kept them from being bigger in North America.  Played 5 songs from their 2017 release Headstrong.

Setlist:

We Bow to None
Welcome the Night
Keep Your Eye on the Twisted
Path of Destiny
Talk to the Moon
Lost In Illusions
Man of Sorrow
Walls Come Down
Livin' My Life For You
Bloodsucker
Do You Like It Like That
Break the Silence
Shame

Pretty Maids came up next.  Last run of shows for their Kingmaker tour before a break and recording a new album for a 2019 release.  Been a fan of these guys since Future World came out in 87.   

Melodic metal at its finest.  Ronnie Atkins sounded better at this show than he did when I saw them last year.  He does strain a bit on the higher notes (he has a thin head voice, always has) but was on key and pitch.  Very good frontman, good sense of humor.  He bungled the lyrics to Eye Of The Storm, a ballad off of Future World which they've trotted out for a handful of shows in the last few months after only a handful of live plays thru the years.  They plowed through (which I prefer, rather than the band stopping and starting over) its rock and roll after all.  Ronnie laughed it off and apologized.  Ken Hammer was stellar as usual on guitar.  Rene Shades has been on bass for a few years now and has a few songs where he has solo sections in and has been a great addition to the band. 

Good mix of songs from last three albums and their first two.  They are gearing up to record a live show in a few weeks where they will play Future World all the way through so five songs from that album played at this show.

Setlist:
Mother of All Lies
Kingmaker
We Came to Rock
Heavens Little Devil
It Comes at Night
Eye of the Storm
Rodeo
Pandemonium
I See Ghosts
Bull's Eye
Little Drops of Heaven
Back to Back
Red, Hot and Heavy
Encore:
Future World
Love Games

Getting to see both of the bands again in October in the UK at a festival and looking forward to that

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
You "DO" go to a lot of shows, don't you  :D 8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
Pretty Maids/Pink Cream 69
Colos Saal
Aschaffenburg, Germany  16 March 2018

Venue was close to sold out. 

Pink Cream 69 was a band I'd wanted to see live for awhile.  I'd heard some of their songs over the years, initially from wanting to hear Andi Deris' pre Helloween band. Good songs but not enough to get me to buy the discs. 

After seeing them live last Friday, I'm more of a fan now.  They are like Aerosmith where the studio albums don't really capture the energy and vibe of the live show.  They are in a special guest billing so they got to play for over an hour and 13 songs. 

Bass player Dennis Ward's bass tone was awesome and was more upfront in the mix without taking away from the rest of the band.  Good melodic metal usual influences (Maiden Priest Dokken Whitesnake etc).  Well worth checking out.  Pretty sure their band name kept them from being bigger in North America.  Played 5 songs from their 2017 release Headstrong.

Setlist:

We Bow to None
Welcome the Night
Keep Your Eye on the Twisted
Path of Destiny
Talk to the Moon
Lost In Illusions
Man of Sorrow
Walls Come Down
Livin' My Life For You
Bloodsucker
Do You Like It Like That
Break the Silence
Shame

Pretty Maids came up next.  Last run of shows for their Kingmaker tour before a break and recording a new album for a 2019 release.  Been a fan of these guys since Future World came out in 87.   

Melodic metal at its finest.  Ronnie Atkins sounded better at this show than he did when I saw them last year.  He does strain a bit on the higher notes (he has a thin head voice, always has) but was on key and pitch.  Very good frontman, good sense of humor.  He bungled the lyrics to Eye Of The Storm, a ballad off of Future World which they've trotted out for a handful of shows in the last few months after only a handful of live plays thru the years.  They plowed through (which I prefer, rather than the band stopping and starting over) its rock and roll after all.  Ronnie laughed it off and apologized.  Ken Hammer was stellar as usual on guitar.  Rene Shades has been on bass for a few years now and has a few songs where he has solo sections in and has been a great addition to the band. 

Good mix of songs from last three albums and their first two.  They are gearing up to record a live show in a few weeks where they will play Future World all the way through so five songs from that album played at this show.

Setlist:
Mother of All Lies
Kingmaker
We Came to Rock
Heavens Little Devil
It Comes at Night
Eye of the Storm
Rodeo
Pandemonium
I See Ghosts
Bull's Eye
Little Drops of Heaven
Back to Back
Red, Hot and Heavy
Encore:
Future World
Love Games

Getting to see both of the bands again in October in the UK at a festival and looking forward to that

Nice, Cool. Would have loved to have seen that show.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
Don Airey & Friends
Musiktheater REX
Bensheim, Germany   23 March 2018

New venue for me this evening, nice repurposed building.  Bench seating and tables along walls, some standing cocktail tables strewn about.  Maybe about 400 folks there.

Don Airey only band on the bill and started on time.  I figured the friends would be pretty good musicians, seeing as Don's pedigree and CV is legendary in rock.  Starting with his time in Cozy Powell's Hammer in the early 70's to playing with guitarists like Gary Moore, Randy Rhoads, Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker and more up to his current day job alongside Steve Morse in Deep Purple.  I had no idea how good these would turn out to be.

Set heavy with Rainbow and Deep Purple songs.  All the Rainbow tunes were from his two albums with the band, Down To Earth and Difficult To Cure.  Sprinkle in tunes from Blizzard Of Ozz, Focus, Colosseum II and two songs from his upcoming solo album and it was a really fun set to hear. 

Singer Carl Sentance was amazing.  Currently the lead singer with Nazareth, he handled the material from all these different bands in the original keys.  His voice fit the best with the Graham Bonnet songs from Down To Earth.  But all the other material sounded great too. 

Drummer Jon Finnigan and bassist Dave Marks are the rhythm section Blackmore should have hired for his current incarnation of Rainbow.  Finnigan did Powell, Paice, Kerslake, and  Hiseman proud.  Marks spent time with a tour of Hans Zimmer's live show and has worked with Carl Palmer and it showed.  Belfast born Simon McBride on guitar was amazing.  He definitely channeled that other Belfast boy Gary Moore on Still Got The Blues and Colisseum II's The Inquisition and handled the other guitarists material just as well. 

The two new songs were Victim Of Pain, a chugging more metal sounding number, and All Out Of Line, a blues based song.  Both sounded great and were received well by the audience.

Carl missed a cue in Back On The Streets but band handled it well. 

The show didn't drag at all.  An hour and forty five minutes flew by. 

Setlist:

Spotlight Kid (Rainbow)
Pictures Of Home (Deep Purple)
Back On The Streets (Gary Moore)
I Surrender (Rainbow)
Still Got The Blues (Gary Moore)
Victim Of Pain (new solo song)
The Inquisition (Colisseum II)
Mr Crowley (Blizzard Of Ozz)
All Out Of Line (new solo song)
Difficult To Cure (Rainbow)
All Night Long (Rainbow)
Lost In Hollywood (Rainbow)

Encore 1:

Hocus Pocus (Focus)
Hush (Deep Purple) with drum and bass solo's
Black Night (Deep Purple)

Encore 2:

Since You Been Gone (with a really cool crooner style intro by Carl and Don)

Encore 3:

Bad Girl (Rainbow) was a B side to Since You Been Gone

The chemistry of the band was great.  Everyone was smiling and having fun on stage.  If you get to see Don and his friends do it.