Author Topic: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews  (Read 34565 times)

Eye9

• View Profile
Re: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
I wanted to see the Maiden tour and missed it  >:(

Fish is still around? what Marillion stuff is he doing these days live? definitely have to let us know how those two are after you see them.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »
Yeah he plugs around Europe.  Last tour was his Farewell to Childhood (supposedly he wont be doing even Kayleigh or Lavender this time through).  This cycle will be Weltschmerz (his new CD, German word for world weariness) and his farewell to Clutching at Straws.  He is planning on retiring from touring and maybe even recording after this cycle, but he's pushed it back.  His voice is pretty well shot but I think its in better shape than Ian Anderson's but that bar is pretty low. He is moving to Germany to live with his partner and her kid once he's done with the road.  Marillion is still plugging away as well but when Hogarth took over the mic stand they lost the plot for me at least.  They are playing later this year here but I have a schedule conflict and cant make the show.  May go see Rothery's solo band when they come through here in May I think. 

Maiden should be good as its a non album support cycle so more older tunes (Book Of Souls was a good tour as the album cuts they played I think went over better than the last few album tours)  Bruce's voice has held up phenomenally well, especially after the cancer scare.  Still need to read his book, its in the pile of must reads lol.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »
Cutting Crew and Wang Fucking Chung are playing my town this summer. Not really sure what I think of that yet.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
Iron Maiden/Killswitch Engage in Estonia
Phil Campbell & Bastard Sons
Andy Scott's Sweet
Kamelot
Fish

I'm a big Sweet fan, I put up a lot of different stuff in their band thread on here. I have a lot of their stuff and have tracked down a bunch of the official bootlegs and the Level Headed tour rehearsals.

Let me know how that show is and what songs they play, wasn't sure if Andy was still touring or not, I guess he is, but yeah I'll never see him since he doesn't come to the States. I wish him and Steve Priest would merge and do a more legitimate version of Sweet, but I guess that's not going to happen. Very underrated band in the hard rock/metal community. I don't know that they'd even be much of a draw even if they both formed one version of Sweet together sadly. Great band though. 

Steve Priest's version doesn't seem to do too many dates and the east coast dates are few and far between and are usually a hike from me. But they are another one of those one original member bands that it is hard for me to get excited about or go out of my way to see.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
I saw Priest's version back in 2010 at the Rock n America festival in OKC.  Priest has put on a lot of weight and his voice is not what it once was.  He's lived in the US for decades and I think a deal him and Andy cut was he gets North America and Andy gets Europe.  I did get to see Andy Scott and his singer perform back in 2016 at a show that tours around Europe billed as Rock Meets Classic.  They get singers or one or two band members from bands to come out and do their hits backed by a rock band and a small orchestra.  Was pretty good.  I'll do a separate post on that but Andy and his current singer Pete Lincoln did good, be nice to see it with his band.  The last run through Europe last year was supposed to be the retirement run but here he is lol.  These guys just need to quit announcing retirement tours and just not go out anymore if they mean it but I realize its a money thing to do a Farewell tour. 

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:32 PM »
It looks like I'm going to see Steve Hackett this Sunday (2/25). He's playing a new venue in Phoenix called The Van Buren, which opened last August. I believe it's 1500 capacity with roughly 100 tickets left as of this writing.

It's supposed to be "An Evening With" and feature Genesis, solo, and GTR material. Should be interesting, I haven't seen a gig there yet.  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »
I've yet to catch Hackett live doing the Genesis Revisited stuff, one of these days. That should be a great show.

I picked up a seat for Armored Saint/ Act of Defiance at Sellersville Theatre, PA in July. Saint is doing the Symbol of Salvation album in it's entirety. That will be awesome. Got to see them last year open for Queensryche in Baltimore, will be cool to see a headline show  8) 

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
Hoping they do the Symbol Of Salvation top to bottom run thru when I see them in Germany in August.  That is one of my desert island albums for sure. 

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2018, 01:40:43 PM »
I had a great time at Anthrax and Killswitch Engage the other night. I'd never really heard any Killswitch stuff before, and I was pretty impressed with them. It was great finally seeing Anthrax after being a fan of theirs for over 30 years. Frank Bello is the fucking man.

Anthrax played a relatively short set (11 songs I think?) and only played 2 new songs. But everyone loved the show all the same. Do fans complain about Anthrax shows the same way certain fans complain about current Queensryche shows? Like is their some uberfan named NotMan who goes on message boards and complains about Anthrax not playing much of their newer, more relevant material?  ;)
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
Notman here, them god damn bastards, they still haven't changed up that set list and started playing more material. Who do they think they are, fucking Queensryche  >:D

I been trying all evening to get Son's Of Apollo tickets for the philly show, it won't let me buy tickets. I think that damn thing may have sold out day of sale.  >:( 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
must have been a ticketmaster snafu, finally got in and got my Son's of Apollo ticket  8) I'm curious to see how that show sells, if they sell out that venue. Not too bad $30 ($44.75 after ticketmasters fuck thy customers over fee's  >:( )

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
Joey and Frank are the cool ones in the band, Joey especially.  Last year was the lets flog Among The Living end to end yet again tour (kinda like QR/Tate with O:M).  When they played the Big 4 show at Yankee Stadium they opened a new song (at the time) from Worship Music (Fight Em Till You Cant) and played The Devil You Know also from that album in a 9 song set (they were first on that day but I felt best energy on stage)
Plus you never know if Benante is going to be behind the kit.  Last 5 times I saw them , I got Jon Dette 4 out of 5 shows.  Just let Charlie go the Tipton route. Stay in the background, manage business stuff, write new material, etc. 

May go to Dublin to see Sons of Apollo, want to see them on their own and not at a festival the first time.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
Passing on the Stones.  Cheapest seats in a football stadium are 181 Euros (221 US dollars) for nose bleeds at the other end.  Seen them before so I'm good lol. 

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
Plus you never know if Benante is going to be behind the kit.  Last 5 times I saw them , I got Jon Dette 4 out of 5 shows.  Just let Charlie go the Tipton route. Stay in the background, manage business stuff, write new material, etc.

I honestly couldn't tell you if that was Charlie behind the kit when I saw them, hahaha. I thought it was. I thought maybe they introduced him. But who knows.

SEE? This is what some fans are like with bands, "NotMan". Some people are fans of the music, but they may not always know what the fuck is going on in the band. I knew Dan Spitz had been out of the band for awhile, but I completely forgot why he left. AND THAT'S OK.

But yeah, seeing the guys actually perform was something else. After seeing live videos, music videos and numerous interviews for over 30 years, it's just not the same as actually seeing them galloping around on stage. Scott Ian may be a dick (at least that's what the internet tells me) but he put on a solid fucking show, and at the end of the day, that's all I care about.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Saxon/Diamond Head/Armored Dawn
Batschkapp
Frankfurt, Germany

Show has been sold out for awhile now.  Not surprising as Saxon has a huge following amongst the metal community here. 

Armored Dawn is a band out of Brazil that plays what I'd call Viking Metal.  Not bad, not something I'd buy but didn't walk out on their set either.  Midday slot at a festival. 

Diamond Head was next up and was a band I'd been wanting to see for a long time now.  They were supposed to play at Rocklahoma last year but Mother Nature had other plans and theirs was one of the sets that got cancelled.  Brian Tatler on guitar is the only founding member left.  Most of you know their songs thru Metallica, who were heavily influenced by the band and still play Diamond Head songs live, especially Am I Evil.  Their current singer, Rasmus Bom Andersen, has a strong voice and did very well.  Really enjoyed the set, short as it was, and will keep an eye out to see them headline a club. Why they didnt make it the first time around in the late 70's early 80's comes down to poor management and band squabbles. 

Saxon has been around since the mid 70's and I have seen them numerous times from around 81-82 thru to this show.  I have never seen them play a bad gig.  Their lineup has been pretty stable for 10 years now. 

They opened with Thunderbolt the title track from the new album and it is a song meant to open a concert with.  The set was a mix of classics interspersed with six more songs from the new album, all of which sounded good and went over well with the crowd.  Biff Byford is one of the better frontmen in metal.  Always smiling and having a good time but staying on course.  His voice has held up well, better than many others and he can still bring the goods.  Founding guitarist Paul Quinn and Doug Scarratt are one of the best tandems in rock and trade licks well.  Nibbs Carter on bass is still a perpetual motion machine on stage left and is a good background vocalist as well.   Nigel Glocker is on his third tour of duty (this one since 2007) with the band on drums and brings experience from playing pop, rock, prog, jazz and blues.  Great drummer. 

They Played Rock And Roll is the band's tribute to Lemmy and Motorhead on the new album and really went over well.  Motorhead and Lemmy shirts and back panels on battle vests were second only to Saxon in the crowd.  Towards the end of the set they debuted Sons Of Odin from the new disc live for the first time.  First encore was Heavy Metal Thunder and Princess Of The Night and second encore was Denim and Leather.  All three found the crowd in full voice singing along on the choruses.  Older man behind pushing 60 kept headbanging the whole night behind me, occassionally hitting my back and shoulder. 

Saxon isnt a band to take chances, they know their fanbase and give them what they want and do it exceptionally well.  Catch them with Judas Priest and Black Star Riders this spring in the US.  Looking forward to catching them when they come thru Europe on the next leg of this tour.