Author Topic: What musician/artist do you want to see BACK in major music/band?  (Read 2140 times)

Deathless

• View Profile
I thought NJ had some great threads going, and reading an article about Dave Lombardo from Slayer made me think of this one.

What musician or artist would you want to see back in a band setting? Either starting a new one from the ground up or joining an established act? I know Dave has Philm, but it doesn't seem to appeal to a lot of people. Mike Portnoy of course is now involved in a number of different bands, with the Winery dogs seeming to have taken off quite nicely.

Oscar_For_Rutger

• I'm definitely not Grendelsan. Nope.
    • View Profile
    • Rutger Hauer Forum
Re: What musician/artist do you want to see BACK in major music/band?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
Selfishly, I'd like to see Roy Khan back in professional music. I totally respect what he's doing and that he's found personal happiness, but I feel there's a bit of a hole left in his absence.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • WÖR Party
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Julien Lennon.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
Jimmy Page: get a band and get on the road whether or not you do a solo album.
Ritchie Blackmore: Back to the Stratocaster- One more Rainbow go around.
Fish Reunion with Marillion

Stevie Ray Vaughn's Band -Double trouble needs to hookup with a premier blues guitarist and form a new band. 
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Hank Wrangler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Andy Partridge (from XTC)

22 Acacia Ave

• QR+TLT=QR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
Jeremy Enigk (Sunny Day Real Estate, The Fire Theft, Solo)

SDRE did a small reunion tour a few years ago, with no concerts even close to me. And they were talking about recording a new album. I think they did record a couple new songs, as one new song was released a few months ago. It was a split record with another band, for that "New Record Release Day" or something that effect. The song is called Lipton Witch, and of course it's amazing!!

Sunny Day Real Estate was part of the first movement of the emo, post-hardcore scene in the mid 90s. Let's not get into what emo has turned into, something COMPLETELY different than what it first was. Most serious rock music fans should now the difference. Other bands included would be Placebo and Fugazi. I know there are others, but can't think of them. There was also screamo, a few years later, with a few great bands leading that scene. Again, screamo has turned into something completely different too, than when the first bands started coming out. Examples of the first good screamo bands would be Glassjaw, Thursday, alexisonfire and Thrice. When you've been listening to rock and metal for over 30 years, a person needs something new and exciting. Grunge, nu-metal, metalcore, screamo, hair metal, traditional metal, etc, etc. I love it all!!

Sunny Day Real Estate put out 4 AMAZING releases, a band that definitely didn't seem like they were finished. Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters, must have liked them enough to steal their rhythm section. haha Nate Mendel is an original member of Sunny Day, and a wickedly underrated bass player! He's all over the bass, on the first 2 releases. Drummer William Goldsmith only played on 2 tracks, on The Colour and Shape. Dave and him must not have gotten along for some reason.

Jeremy Enigk has also released a few solo albums, all of which are brilliant! And a side project called The Fire Theft, which was basically SDRE, only without original guitarist Dan Hoerner, and Nate stepped back into the fold. They only released one album, unfortunately.

So, as you can see, lol, this band is pretty special to me. When I started writing music in the 90s, they had a huge influence on my songwriting. Along with Alice In Chains!!!!! I'm am a DIEHARD Maiden fan, and huge fan of metal in general, but it doesn't show in my songwriting. haha Keep in mind, Iron Maiden weren't very good in the mid to late 90s, and metal had taken many interesting turns, at this point.

If you would like to listen to some Sunny Day Real Estate, I'll post a few good songs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAotWVmVRS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSrxkLEAGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD0eU-VJPuk

Grappler

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
Selfishly, I'd like to see Roy Khan back in professional music. I totally respect what he's doing and that he's found personal happiness, but I feel there's a bit of a hole left in his absence.

I think I'd agree with this.  I wasn't terribly impressed with his last album with Kamelot, but I love his voice - even going back to the Conception days. 

Thankfully, Matt Barlow is doing Ashes of Ares now, otherwise he would have been my answer.