Author Topic: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews  (Read 35980 times)

RTM

• View Profile
Upcoming Concerts & Reviews
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »
This may turn into 2 separate threads, we'll try it as one first.

bhg70

Re: Upcoming Concerts & Reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
Saw Lecrae last night in Houston. He put on an amazing show. My mini-review I posted to FB last night:

"Tonight, Lecrae demonstrated what it means to infuse your art with your faith. He does not preach. He testifies, his words set to some of the best beats you will hear in rap music. The result was an emotional roller coaster, as songs I'm very familiar with were pieced together in a new way to tell a story that is more autobiographical than I realized, warts and all. It was honest, personal, and real. It is also high quality. He does not produce shoddy work and call it "good enough." He pushes himself and those he works with to produce the best songs they can. Ten years into his career, and those songs keep getting better and better. I know he just released his latest less than a month ago, but I'm already looking forward to what he'll do next."

Upcoming shows:

Thousand Foot Krutch next month & Nightwish in May 2015.

I also just bought my tickets to ProgPower USA XVI next year. I really wanted to go to this year's show, but I didn't realize tickets sold out so quickly. By the time I went to buy them, they were already sold out.

Nemo Atkins

• Just a small town boy living in a lonely world
    • View Profile
    • Nemo Atkins' Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »
I'm going to be definitely seeing Queen + Adam Lambert in January. They're coming to my local area (...well, OK, Newcastle isn't completely local for me, as it's still about 50 miles away, but it's still the closest city to where I live, so it's close enough!), so I'm happy about that!

In terms of possible gigs which I still thinking about, there's a folk duo up in Newcastle at the end of October that I'm debating going to see, I'm considering going to see Reckless Love, Saxon, Hell, Machine Head, Slade and Sweet at various places around the UK in December (mostly because I really like those guys and want to try to see all of them before going to see Queen in January), I'm organising a trip to see Kamelot in London in March with a few friends and I'm hoping to do the same to see Blind Guardian in April (although that one might not happen: I'm not that familiar with Blind Guardian's discography outside of Nightfall in Middle-Earth and I don't know the support band (Orphaned Land) at all, so I might opt to skip this one).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:08:27 PM by Nemo Atkins »

Grappler

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
Just bought my ticket:

Nightwish
(Sabaton)
Delain

Sabaton is technically unannounced.  The original event poster featured their logo, which was quickly removed.  Nightwish just posted that on November 10th, they have a big announcement regarding the US tour....Sabaton's last date opening for Amon Amarth in the US is November 9th.   I do not believe that is a coincidence, and they are waiting for Sabaton to finish this tour so they don't impact the ticket sales by announcing dates later on with Nightwish.  :)

After 15-16 years, I am FINALLY going to see Nightwish!  And with Floor Jansen as well!  Plus, the opening bands are both awesome.

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
I'm going to see Nightwish, too. I'll admit I'm a newbie to their fan base, but I LOVE Floor and didn't want to miss an opportunity to see them. I'm also buying my tix to see Sixx A.M. in April later this morning. I've been waiting for them to do a headlining show for years, and now that Motley's (supposedly) going away, they're doing a big headlining tour with Apocalyptica opening. Yay!

Grappler

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »
Awesome!  They really are better with Floor.  It's been a while since I've been this excited to see a band.

You might enjoy a little Delain too - their keyboardist was one of the original Within Temptation members, so their first record was very much in the vein of older/Silent-Force era Within Temptation.  Now they're a bit more poppy like WT as well and also have a female singer. 

bhg70

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
I bought my tix for Nightwish in Houston next May. If Sabaton does end up on the bill, that will be great. I had tickets to see Sabaton, ReVamp, and Iced Earth last April, and got sick the day of the show.

It was Floor's performance at Wacken, that turned into Showtime, Storytime, that made me a fan. I've since bought their entire back catalog, but I admit to preferring Floor's live versions to any of the studio versions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:32:00 AM by bhg70 »

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
I had tickets to see Sabaton, ReVamp, and Iced Earth last April, and got sick the day of the show.

Oooh, bummer. That was a great show--we immediately bought both of ReVamp's CDs after their set. Sabaton are good, but I will say this--they stink. Literally. Hubby and I were down front and you could smell their B.O. from the stage. If they do wind up on the Nightwish bill, I'll be safely up in the balcony where the stench can't get me. ;)

EvilAshLives

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Just got tickets to see Danny Elfman perform on November 1st in Hollywood.  This is an orchestral performance of the pieces he composed for Tim Burton, with Elfman coming out to sing all of the Jack Skellington parts from Nightmare Before Christmas.  Since I never got to see Oingo Boingo, and I thought Danny Elfman would never perform again, this'll be a total dream come true.  Can't wait!!!!

EvilAshLives

nattiep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
Saw King Diamond last night. The man still has it and I don't know how. Stage was pretty big for what I've seen of his past set ups from bootlegs. Actors and costumes, burning "grandma" alive. The setlist was pretty varied, with only a few albums skipped and a couple of Mercyful Fate songs thrown in.

Hank Wrangler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
Just got tickets to see Danny Elfman perform on November 1st in Hollywood. 

That sounds like it will be a hell of a show. Have a great time!!

Grappler

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
I love that King Diamond stage set!   He's playing tomorrow night in Chicago, and weeknight shows are tough for me to do, especially with the logistics of getting to/from work and to/from the show cheaply.  Sucks that I'm missing that show, but I can live vicariously via youtube.

Deathless

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
Decided to pull the trigger and go see Amon Amarth Friday night, they've been selling out all over the place and word is this show is great to see. I'm pumped!

Grappler

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
Decided to pull the trigger and go see Amon Amarth Friday night, they've been selling out all over the place and word is this show is great to see. I'm pumped!

If you're not already a Sabaton fan, be sure to check them out.  I think they only get 45-ish minutes before Amon Amarth, but it's the equivalent of a tank (ha!) rolling over you.

Unless I win free tickets to this show via the venue contest, I'll likely be skipping this tour.  Sucks, because I love both AA and Sabaton, but my budget is really tight this time of the year.

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
Alter Bridge this weekend!! I'm just a little excited!!!!!!!