Author Topic: Aerosmith  (Read 795 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Aerosmith
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
The bad boys from Boston, America's answer to Jagger and Richards were no doubt Tyler and Perry. The definitive Aerosmith lineup including Tyler, Perry, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton and Joey Kramer came together in 1971 and were signed to Columbia Records in 1972. Their self titled debut album was released in 1973. The debut followed by Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, Rocks and Draw The Line saw them ascend to the top of their commercial peak and cement them as one of the premier rock acts of the seventies.

By 1979's Night In The Ruts the band was self destructing, fueled by internal strife, drug and alcohol addictions and the usual shit that happens in rock and roll. Midway through the recording of the album Joe Perry left the band. The following record Rock In A Hard Place which featured the new guitar tandem of Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay, as Brad Whitford left the band during the recording of the record, his rhythm guitar is however on the song Lightning Strikes. This album I think is very strong and under rated, I still play this one quite a bit to this day.

1984 saw the band reunited in full with Perry and Whitford returning to the band. Done With Mirrors (1985) would be the reunion album, a good offering that won critical praise, but did not live up to commercial expectations. I liked this record as well. This album sold five times platinum and was the return of Aerosmith, it was also the first of many albums by the band where outside writers would be used and thus would push them in a more commercial radio friendly direction, something I was not a big fan of, but the band laughed all the way to the bank as they say. The following album PUMP sold seven million copies to date in the US and continued their return to the top. I think I saw them live twice during these years and they were on fire live. Get A Grip from 1993 was the last Aerosmith album of much interest to me personally, but it sold over five million records in the US alone, and something like twenty million worldwide and won major acclaim, awards and put them so far at the top of ladder there was no where to go but down and this album was a marked decline from the previous few. The albums that have followed have been much of the same but there is no denying Aerosmith ranks up there among the best, with their early material  72-82 being their best days IMO. The 1983-1990 period was a nice return to glory.

here are my favorites, some are the big hits that everyone loves, some are deeper album cuts that are a little more off the hit radar.

Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Aerosmith
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
A few more great ones in my regular rotation

Dude looks like a lady;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE
The other side; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGfPrst29Y

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »
I'm going to see Aerosmith this Sunday (4/2) at the NCAA March Madness Music Festival--it's a free show. Traffic-wise, it's going to be a mess with Phoenix Suns basketball as well as the Diamondbacks baseball season opener the same day.

All are taking place literally within a four-mile radius. The games alone are next door to each other! Roughly 100,000 are expected that day downtown--NOT counting the first two nights of the festival.

I've seen Aerosmith a few times over the years but I'm not a hardcore fan. My favorites will always be their first four albums, with the first album being my favorite. This will most likely be my last time seeing them. Should be fun.  :)

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
I saw some of the clips they showed of I assume the Aerosmith show you saw during the finals pregame show last night. I thought they kicked fuckin ass on "Love in an elevator" with Perry with some killer riffs and Tyler's old ass rolling on the floor on the stage and doing his classic wails. The "Walk this way" intro with whoever the rapper was, not so much, I wish they would go back to doing that damn song the proper way, the rap version Sucks IMO. Hope you enjoyed the show, if most of the rest was more in line with the "Love in an elevator" clip I saw I'm sure it was worth the trip.     

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
I was looking at some stuff about Pump and came across this tune that was slated for the album but never made it. It apparently didn't get as far as Steven Tyler putting vocals to it, but it sure is a badass riff.

Sniffin' (formerly known as Looking Up Your Old Address): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8cIFsQT0E4
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.