Author Topic: Tate Acoustic tour 2017  (Read 4630 times)

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
Re: Tate Acoustic tour 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »
I saw the show on Feb 15 in Vienna VA. Good show. Glad I went. I think the acoustic environment suits Geoff Tate perfectly given where he is today (and I can make a recent comparison, having seen him sing with Trinity a couple months ago). I thought the mix of songs flowed well, and the band he assembled did a good job. I actually expected a bit more of the storytelling, but he picked specific songs, including an amusing anecdote to intro Chasing Blue Sky, a huge shout-out to CDG leading into Out of Mind, a little history on Operation: Mindcrime, the album, prior to I Don't Believe In Love and a retread of a story to intro Until There Was You.

Speaking of the music, the violin solo during Blood was the highpoint and the showstopping musical moment of the night.

It was a small venue, essentially a coffee house, and he drew about 250-300 which would have been close to capacity and consistent with the last time he toured solo in this area, promoting Kings & Thieves at Jaxx a few years ago.

I really appreciate the diversity Tate brings to his setlists these days. Getting songs like Blood, CBS, and Some People Fly, songs the current version of Queensryche would never touch (and even wouldn't touch when Tate was still there) make his shows interesting.

The faster songs, other than Take Hold, I thought translated well to the acoustic setting. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that it wasn't just slow, predictable acoustic numbers (like what the band did for MTV Unplugged). A song like Walk In The Shadows still maintained its groove and vibe and pacing, even as an acoustic number.

Not a fan of what Tate does in terms of cadence and phrasing sometimes, but I found that being an acoustic setting, with arrangement adjustments already present to accommodate the acoustic translation, I was a lot more forgiving when they were tampered with. Likewise with the solos, I found I wasn't keyed in on them. When I saw the Tate-version of Ryche on the FU tour, I found myself paying way too much attention to how that version of the band was hitting (or more to the point missing) the notes, especially on the solos. In this setting, giving allowance for the translation to acoustic, I found it was much easier to just go with the flow and get lost in the moment without nitpicking all the nuances.

Tate was a little pitchy, but for the most part, he was consistent and worked well within his current range to put on a very intimate and enjoyable performance. If you have a chance to catch this tour, I give it a recommendation.

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
Setzer - Thanks for the links on Dime.  I had one of those shows, but not the other.

ShadowWalker - Thanks for the review of the show!  I am rethinking on whether or not I want to go see him.  I haven't been as thrilled with his vocals and attitude, but still find enjoyment in the music.  Looking on setlist.fm, it's interesting that all but two songs are QR songs, and one of those songs is a cover.....BUT, the song selection is nice and it's good to see him doing (or attempting to do) songs that are outside the norm.  If the bootlegs sound good, I might hit up the show....if nothing else it might serve as a final time seeing one of my favorite vocalists.
Quote from: NJFIREFIGHTER
That Justbob guy doesn't post too much, but he is pretty much always right  ;D

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »
I agree Shadow, very much so, that the acoustic setting better suites his style. I definitely this Scott Mouton much better, both acoustically and electrically than Robert Sarzo. I see Mouton as a major improvement, I think that dude is pretty good. So much so, that I actually hope he comes around later in the year with a proper Operation Mindcrime tour for that last record (Resurrection) which I thought IMO was pretty decent.

Back to the acoustic tour show, I definitely like this set list and it is a cool mix of some songs that you don't get to hear from Queensryche, unfortunately the show isn't coming within a reasonable reach to my area here in the South Jersey/Philly region. So I'll have to settle for the you tube vids or possibly chasing down a bootleg of it unfortunately. Because I too, think I would have enjoyed that show. 

Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:11 AM »
Setzer - Thanks for the links on Dime.  I had one of those shows, but not the other.

ShadowWalker - Thanks for the review of the show!  I am rethinking on whether or not I want to go see him.  I haven't been as thrilled with his vocals and attitude, but still find enjoyment in the music.  Looking on setlist.fm, it's interesting that all but two songs are QR songs, and one of those songs is a cover.....BUT, the song selection is nice and it's good to see him doing (or attempting to do) songs that are outside the norm.  If the bootlegs sound good, I might hit up the show....if nothing else it might serve as a final time seeing one of my favorite vocalists.

"If nothing else it might serve as a final time seeing one of my favorite vocalists"

I actually had that thought process when I went and saw the Geoff Tate's Queensryche tour doin Mindcrime. I actually ended up enjoying that show. But seeing what he's been doing with these acoustic shows, and seeing as how I liked the Resurrection album, I don't think that show will wind up being my last from him. until I personally witness a "BAD" show. I won't write off seeing him again. 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:39 AM »

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:43:02 AM »
"If nothing else it might serve as a final time seeing one of my favorite vocalists"

I actually had that thought process when I went and saw the Geoff Tate's Queensryche tour doin Mindcrime. I actually ended up enjoying that show. But seeing what he's been doing with these acoustic shows, and seeing as how I liked the Resurrection album, I don't think that show will wind up being my last from him. until I personally witness a "BAD" show. I won't write off seeing him again.

The last time I saw Geoff is when there were two Queensryche's.  After lowering my expectations, I remember that his show wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (it wasn't great, it wasn't horrible).  As of now, Geoff as a solo artist is still very listenable for me.  BUT....as I was catching up on work tonight, I listened to the two bootlegs that I have from his tour.  To break it down:

The Music
------------------------------------------
If you go ahead and submit to the fact that you aren't gonna have QR playing the music, the band doesn't do a horrible job of performing the music.  Again, you have to not scrutinize the band for essentially adding their own interpretation to the music.  You won't be "wowed" by them, but they do a good job.

Geoff Tate (the vocalist)
It's an acoustic set.  He's not gonna "go for it" when it comes to anything that requires a vocal reach back to his glory days.  But honestly, in the acoustic setting, he achieves a good balance.  You aren't gonna say "DAMN, did you hear THAT?!?!?", but you will appreciate the attempt.

Geoff Tate (the storyteller)
This is where the things completely fall apart for me.  The show from January 11, 2017 seemed very raw and unrehearsed.  The show from February 4, 2017 seemed like.....well, it seemed like the Geoff Tate Comedy Hour that was filled with songs that you used to remember to be awesome.  Basing things from the February 4, 2017 bootleg....The best way that I can describe it is like this:  Geoff tried to channel some dry humor (imagine "The Real Geoff Tate" from the Classic Metal Show), while doing a Southern vocal interpretation of the "soul-of-the-Popeye's-Chicken-spokeswoman-encased-in-an-old-dude-from-Seattle".  The storytelling felt "off".  The timing felt "off".  The whole storytelling aspect felt rushed, scripted, and insincere.

After listening to these two bootlegs, I don't know that I would want to go see the show.  I just get the vibe that I would want to sit as far back as I could, in a dark corner, so that I didn't have to be in the spotlight of a train wreck.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
I don't really see what the draw is of promoting as a "storytelling" kinda deal when it's pretty much what he normally does. And, from what I've seen online (and from how I understand his in-between song banter to be), I agree with a couple posters saying that the "stories" are kinda flat, as they tend to end with a goofy joke, a la "silence in Tennessee."

Maybe it's just that I've seen a ton of legit folk performers and am used to hearing some really good stories told before any given song is performed. They're likely very scripted, but usually they feel sincere and personal. I just don't get that vibe from Geoff Tate's stories. Something that he could work on, for sure.

I'd still probably want to see Tate do a show like this over a traditional rock show. Just something different.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
I haven't had a chance to watch it, but here's a link for a video of the full show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimkgU98Hhk&feature=youtu.be

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 02:58:44 PM »
I'm not hating this at all. Thanks for the link, justbob.

I'm liking the instrumentation and some of the slight variations Tate is doing with the melodies, though I wish he would do more. This type of setting really lends itself to changing up the vocal lines and, when done tastefully, is a fun treat for fans.

But I'm only as far as his Nashville story and holy shit is it terrible. ;D
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
I haven't had a chance to watch it, but here's a link for a video of the full show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimkgU98Hhk&feature=youtu.be

Watching this now, I'm six songs in, Very much enjoying it. Really good. He sounds great in this setting, and again I think Scott Mouton is very good on guitar. I'd prefer a good drum beat over this kid bangin on a box but guess ya can't have it all lol.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »
Very good show, I enjoyed it. I would definitely be interested in seeing this show but my only option would be April 9 in Lancaster Pa a good hour and a half drive from here on a Sunday night no less. So I will probably have to pass on that  >:(

FATE

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Maybe a weird place for my first post, so I'll preface by saying that it has been a pleasure reading this board the past few weeks. I ran in to it during a google search for "what the hell happened to the bdr". I subsequently read a lot of very entertaining banter in the BEAT DOWN thread lol.

GT's show last night in Kent, OH was, in a word... tremendous. Shadow gave a very accurate review earlier in this thread, so I won't attempt to duplicate that. Bottom line - it's basically a can't miss imo. Yes, part of it may be simple math (how many more opportunities will we have), but for the most part it was a success on all fronts. Great representation of a lot of classic and a few obscure cuts from the catalog, musicians that are having a blast on stage, and GT in a very suitable environment for letting his iconic voice "shine". The crowd embraced and supported the material emphatically, the "connection" that Geoff is so good at creating was there from beginning to end. I'm not real big on the whole "acoustic" vibe, but I'm very happy I went. My wife, who usually requires much cajoling to even consider going, and then usually backs out, is looking for other close dates today lol... Which brings me to the real reason I actually decided to respond here... For those that see the closest venue as a little more than a stroll, GT said last night that they are still adding dates and mentioned that they had recently booked one in Lima, OH sometime in July. It seems like they are hitting a lot of smaller towns so it might be worth giving your current dates a little breathing room and watching the tour page.  ;)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
Welcome, FATE. I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen, and Tate's voice sounds surprisingly good in a number of sections. It's doubtful he'll come anywhere close to me in Canada, so I'll just have to settle for some Youtube clips.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
Welcome aboard Fate and Yax.

Here are the listed Tour Dates at present.
http://geofftate.com/tour/

I'm hoping for a Philly date with the added summer dates that haven't been posted yet, fingers crossed  ;D

Yax

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »
Welcome aboard Fate and Yax.
Thank you!

I went to the Stockholm show. It was great. I'd jump at the chance to buy a live release. Not sure if this has been posted. It's a professional recording from a two song session. If not, then enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek5lat_PFCM

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:17:45 PM by Yax »