Author Topic: Tate Acoustic tour 2017  (Read 4698 times)

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
Tate Acoustic tour 2017
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
Anyone going? I may end up at a pair of them, one locally in the DC area and one on Long Island (the latter a coincidence of timing that I was planning on being there that weekend). He has a crap-ton of tour dates posted on his Facebook page, if anyone is interested...

Rockox

• View Profile
Re: Tate Acoustic tour 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »
I won't be going (because it's nowhere close to me, grrr) but holy cow look at this tour image/poster. That's probably the most brilliant, badass image Tate's released since his departure from QR. LOVE the Mindcrime logo influence.

And he's even got it on a fucking t-shirt. Good man. http://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_403&products_id=3379&tplDir=GeoffTate#.WIDi-02QyUk
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
Yes, I'll be going. Looking forward to it.

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
I actually went with my sister to see the show in Copenhagen 2 weeks ago. My biggest surprise at the show was how short they all were (especially Tate) ;D
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

livgrnfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
My biggest surprise at the show was how short they all were (especially Tate) ;D

Well, age does tend to shorten a person.  Looking at old Queensryche promo photos, it seemed like either Tate or Eddie Jackson was the second tallest in the band to Chris DeGarmo.

What did you think of the show, by the way?  I don't know if I could get over my bias to give an honest assessment of the performance if I saw YouTube videos of it.  To be fair, half of the songs I saw on his setlist were ones that I did not care for, and most of the other half seemed like they would lose their power in the acoustic form that Tate almost certainly chose so that he could keep his voice up for the 2 hour performance.

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »
Well all things considered he sang pretty well for the most part. But there were some pitch problems throughout. He and Scott seems to be getting along really well with the Irish guys they're playing with, because they seem to be having a lot of fun.

I will say though, that there was a minor incident or two at the show... It all boils down to how much people love to drink here, and talk during shows, something which Tate adressed several times, both explicitly towards the crowd: "Hey what am I missing here? What are you guys talking about?", and later on during Take Hold of the Flame (before the classic A4-E5), where some people in the audience really wanted Tate to sing and sustain something... Tate just gave one guy this really odd look, turned to one of the Irish guys, and did this: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1171127_o.gif

livgrnfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
Thanks for your feedback Setzer.

He and Scott seems to be getting along really well with the Irish guys they're playing with, because they seem to be having a lot of fun.

From what I've heard, he's not using those guys for his U.S. tour but using a three piece backing band (maybe also with Scott and/or Randy) with only one designated singer.  Did it seem like the backing vocals at your show significantly boost the performance (I'm guessing you would have said if they were on the shambolic level of that band he stunk up the 2013 Monsters of Rock show with.)?  I also saw one stretch here where he seemed to have 11(!) back to back shows so your Copenhagen show might be the last one you see of him before his voice gets completely fried for a while.

I will say though, that there was a minor incident or two at the show... It all boils down to how much people love to drink here, and talk during shows, something which Tate adressed several times, both explicitly towards the crowd: "Hey what am I missing here? What are you guys talking about?"

I'm guessing the stripped down, intimate nature of the shows at largely pubs and clubs might have opened up the floodgates for drunken conversation.  ;D
Not sure why he wanted to know what they were talking about though; I'm thinking anyone who came to see him there would walk away liking the show unless it was a total disaster (which your assessment does not imply at all).

and later on during Take Hold of the Flame (before the classic A4-E5), where some people in the audience really wanted Tate to sing and sustain something... Tate just gave one guy this really odd look, turned to one of the Irish guys, and did this: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1171127_o.gif

This is exactly what I meant by songs losing their power in the acoustic form.  I get that Take Hold was a hit, but it seemed like the first half of Roads to Madness would be a better Warning song for this type of show.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:43:52 PM by livgrnfan »

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
Thanks for your feedback Setzer.

He and Scott seems to be getting along really well with the Irish guys they're playing with, because they seem to be having a lot of fun.

From what I've heard, he's not using those guys for his U.S. tour but using a three piece backing band (maybe also with Scott and/or Randy) with only one designated singer.  Did it seem like the backing vocals at your show significantly boost the performance (I'm guessing you would have said if they were on the shambolic level of that band he stunk up the 2013 Monsters of Rock show with.)? I also saw one stretch here where he seemed to have 11(!) back to back shows so your Copenhagen show might be the last one you see of him before his voice gets completely fried for a while.

I will say though, that there was a minor incident or two at the show... It all boils down to how much people love to drink here, and talk during shows, something which Tate adressed several times, both explicitly towards the crowd: "Hey what am I missing here? What are you guys talking about?"

I'm guessing the stripped down, intimate nature of the shows at largely pubs and clubs might have opened up the floodgates for drunken conversation.  ;D
Not sure why he wanted to know what they were talking about though; I'm thinking anyone who came to see him there would walk away liking the show unless it was a total disaster (which your assessment does not imply at all).

and later on during Take Hold of the Flame (before the classic A4-E5), where some people in the audience really wanted Tate to sing and sustain something... Tate just gave one guy this really odd look, turned to one of the Irish guys, and did this: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1171127_o.gif

This is exactly what I meant by songs losing their power in the acoustic form.  I get that Take Hold was a hit, but it seemed like the first half of Roads to Madness would be a better Warning song for this type of show.
1) The backing vocals were solid, and actually on-key. I can't say the same for the line-up Tate used back in 2013 :o
2) He said that more as a "Hey I'm telling one of my stories, why aren't you listening?"
3) Indeed, Take Hold of the Flame doesn't really work as an acoustic. At least not the way Tate is currently performing it - maybe someone else can make a better arrangement?

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
I definitely would like to catch this, but so far no dates work in close enough proximity to me. Need a Phiily/Philly burbs/ South Jersey or Delaware show.  >:(

Shadow Walker: Not even a Baltimore date, but I'd be hard pressed to go there again LOL  :-\
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »
Indeed, Take Hold of the Flame doesn't really work as an acoustic. At least not the way Tate is currently performing it - maybe someone else can make a better arrangement?

I see what Tate's trying to do, but I think you're right in saying a better arrangement might work better for that song. I like lots of the changes made, especially the chorus, but it's almost as if this arrangement is TOO similar to the original, so much so that you can hear the audience expecting Tate to hit certain - original - notes because that's what makes sense for the song. If the song were completely redone, to the point where it's barely recognizable, then that'd be something. But that might be too far out of left field for fans.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »
I won't be going (because it's nowhere close to me, grrr) but holy cow look at this tour image/poster. That's probably the most brilliant, badass image Tate's released since his departure from QR. LOVE the Mindcrime logo influence.

And he's even got it on a fucking t-shirt. Good man. http://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_403&products_id=3379&tplDir=GeoffTate#.WIDi-02QyUk

That is a cool ass poster and t-shirt love it

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
Here's some snippets and highlights from the 1/24/17 Clearwater Florida show.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-queensryche-singer-geoff-tate-video-highlights-of-clearwater-acoustic-concert/
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:36:50 AM »
Tate will be bringing the tour close to where I live, but I really don't have any desire to spend the money to go see him.  After seeing some of the videos, I am content with downloading a bootleg or two and calling it good.
Quote from: NJFIREFIGHTER
That Justbob guy doesn't post too much, but he is pretty much always right  ;D

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »
Tate will be bringing the tour close to where I live, but I really don't have any desire to spend the money to go see him.  After seeing some of the videos, I am content with downloading a bootleg or two and calling it good.

Well you're in luck then. There are 2 recordings on DIME right now :)
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=581979
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=583784

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
One of these days I gotta figure out how DIME works...