Author Topic: Queensryche Condition Hüman 2015 Album Discussion  (Read 86503 times)

T-ski

• On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
Re: General QR 2015 Album Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
I did drop a question on their Facebook page and they said to expect a late spring release.  That would be about 5 months from now.  If they are still in demo mode I can't see the album being done until summer/fall.
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • WÖR Party
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
I can, once you get through pre-production, you pretty much have your ducks in a row for the actual recording.  They've written and recorded together once in a "discovery" phase as the boys and Todd were getting to know each other.  Now that they've been touring together a lot, and writing together on and off of the road, their writing style and form are goint to take root more easily.  Workflow will be more efficient.  I foresee this coming together very well.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The R˙che
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »
Per the new Metal Nation Radio interview with Todd:

*Still in the demo stage
*15+ songs are nearly done
*Not yet in the studio
*Century Media is not pressuring them to record or finish ASAP
*He doesn't want to change the sound/style of the band drastically
Todd also said he's hopeful the band can start tracking the album next month. What exactly is tracking and does it give us any other clues as to when the recording for the album will be finished?
Countdown to Iron Maiden in concert!: http://tinyurl.com/zgc426t
Site Designer and Product Promotions for: http://www.lightupfun.com/
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/​
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Grappler

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:11 PM »
Per the new Metal Nation Radio interview with Todd:

*Still in the demo stage
*15+ songs are nearly done
*Not yet in the studio
*Century Media is not pressuring them to record or finish ASAP
*He doesn't want to change the sound/style of the band drastically
Todd also said he's hopeful the band can start tracking the album next month. What exactly is tracking and does it give us any other clues as to when the recording for the album will be finished?

Tracking is actually recording the album in the studio.  Individual tracks are used for each sound (guitar 1/guitar2/solo/bass/drums/vocals/sound effects), hence the nickname "tracking." 

It doesn't mean much - recording could go fast or it could take a long time if they are perfectionists.

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The R˙che
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »
Ah, I see Grappler. Thanks very much for the explanation. Let the waiting game continue!
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• View Profile
    • WÖR Party
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
The more preparation you do in advance, and address during pre-production, the more efficient your time will be during tracking, and even perhaps mixdown.

Case in point, Stryper just completed tracking their next record in barely a week.

Our band did tracking for 7 songs some 20 years ago in 3 days during the early onset of Pro Tools and ADAT's. 

QR has always been very organized, taken lots of notes of what they want to happen when they want it to happen in a mix.   Little things like "a reverse reverb at the end of that verse" or panning the reverb to one side only on a lead guitar part (Disconnected/PL), to planning your overdubs, etc...

Do all of that in your dry rehearsal (PreProduction), and your tracking and mixdown will be all the more fruitful.

magic_child

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »

I would guess that the very earliest date for the release now would be already May. And only if they are doing the final recording now, only need a few weeks (which would be very fast for a band like Queensryche), probably also using good tracks from the demo phase. Then they could finish recording in February, finishing mixing and mastering in March, and they could (theoretically) manufacture the album in April. But all that would be very, very rushed. Not the album itself or the songwriting, just the final phase (they also would need to get the layout done, etc.). But then again, if that final phase is just "executing", and no creative work, it can be done very fast. But most bands are still arranging and being creative during that phase (for example, trying out background harmonies, finalizing solos, etc.), so it could also take easily one or two months more.

Normally the record company wants at least two months after the final master for promotion, so even if they are very fast, around June would be more likely. And then record companies have their own kind of strategies, often they push back records to the fall, if they didn't have enough time to release it before summer. Records that were finished in the first months of the year are often released in September or later.

I would prefer, if they would take their time and really work out every detail, like they always used to. Even if they did all that during pre-production, they should still continue doing it during tracking. Maybe work on it until the summer festivals and release it in the fall.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:08:26 AM by magic_child »

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The R˙che
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
Hopefully by their next show on March 20th, they'll be ready to play a new song.

magic_child

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:08 AM »
Just listened to the complete interview with Todd, and he himself said that he would guess that it will be out around June/July, and that around this time would probably be safe to say. So that's almost around the time I guessed above, without the band rushing it and without the record company delaying it.

I'm fine with that, would be more worried if they would want to keep the spring date by any means.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• View Profile
    • WÖR Party
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »
Records are usually totally completed and ready to press a few months or more prior to release, even artwork selected and such.

Why the lag between the completion time and release time you say?

Marketing tools.  It takes time to set all of that up, and it also aids to build up further anticipation of the release which research can often reveal that this aids sales.  Marketing has so many facets and may will agree/disagree what is best in general, much less a specific artist/application.

RoushRycher

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »
My guess is that they will try to get it out before they head to Europe mid-July in order to honor the CD release party being offered through the Pledge campaign.  (wouldn't be much of a release party after it was out for 6-8 weeks)
Magnetize what you conceptualize beause your thoughts become things. Ths is the Law of Attraction. -TLT

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The R˙che
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Another interview with Todd where he says the songs remind him of Mindcrime and Rage. I'm SO FREAKING PUMPED for the new album right now!!!

http://bravewords.com/news/queensryche-vocalist-todd-la-torre-talks-new-album-some-of-the-songs-remind-me-of-rage-for-order-and-operation-mindcrime

AnybodyListening.net

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
While I don't doubt Todd's sincerity, remember, we've heard the same thing from Queensryche since HITNF. Although, to be fair, QR did say they were channeling Empire-Mindcrime-PL on the self-titled, and they did deliver.

But saying Rage-Mindcrime for the new record isn't really a stretch, that's basically what the last record sounded like.

I think one thing is clear -- the band likely isn't going to stir the pot again, in terms of expanding their sound. I think you're going to get a few more records that sound similar, style-wise, with some minor differences. Pretty much how Accept's last few records sound very similar.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:59:55 PM by AnybodyListening.net »

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 01:18:12 PM »
I think one thing is clear -- the band likely isn't going to stir the pot again, in terms of expanding their sound. I think you're going to get a few more records that sound similar, style-wise, with some minor differences. Pretty much how Accept's last few records sound very similar.

Very plausible, though I'm hoping they do push the boundaries a bit with this next release. I don't think it's entirely out of the question either. Keep in mind the talk about some longer more progressive songs, comments about heavier use of the dual lead guitars and Todd pushing for things to get heavier. With the success of Where Dreams Go To Die I wouldn't be surprised if Parker gets to spread his wings a bit also.

That's not to say I'm expecting an all over the map heavy progressive punk album laden with guttural growling, I just hope there is enough stirring in the pot to bring us back to the old days - ever changing albums with a natural sonic progression. 

AnybodyListening.net

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

Very plausible, though I'm hoping they do push the boundaries a bit with this next release. I don't think it's entirely out of the question either. Keep in mind the talk about some longer more progressive songs, comments about heavier use of the dual lead guitars and Todd pushing for things to get heavier. With the success of Where Dreams Go To Die I wouldn't be surprised if Parker gets to spread his wings a bit also.

That's not to say I'm expecting an all over the map heavy progressive punk album laden with guttural growling, I just hope there is enough stirring in the pot to bring us back to the old days - ever changing albums with a natural sonic progression.

I remember saying to Todd that I loved the vocal style on "Discordia," and he said that style of vocal really doesn't have a place in Queensryche. It's things like that, which have me doubting.

Longer, more progressive songs are a part of the QR sound already anyway. That's really nothing "new" per se, which is my general, overall point. I think Queensryche will sound like a modern version of classic era Queensryche, with not much deviation from that period.

For QR to expand, I think different style of vocals (such as what's in Discordia), and different types of songs are needed. I'm not saying you do stuff like Tate attempted with D2C or anything like that.

But I'd love to see them bring the metal legitimacy back to the QR name, and then throw in a few songs that brings them a different metal-style direction.

So if QR15 sounds like Rage-Mindcrime modernized, style-wise, make sure there are three songs on there that perhaps deviate and try something in the metal vein that QR really hasn't done -- thrash metal style song, maybe a song with a gruff type vocal as a prominent part, do a three-part vocal song with Ed, Pamela, and Todd.

Stuff like that. Grow WITHIN your genre. So many avenues to pursue. But the more I listened to the ST, and the more I hear about QR15, the more I think they are going to pursue a very safe course, ala Accept.

Not bad by any means. But certainly not as forward-pushing as they used to be.