Author Topic: Queensryche Condition Hüman 2015 Album Discussion  (Read 86504 times)

lmu2002

• View Profile
Re: General QR 2015 Album Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:53:34 AM »
I agree with many of the thoughts here. I can't see them doing rejected albums and small venues for years coming. They are all 50+. I do think that the next album could well be their last if it doesn't sell as expected. I certainly hope that they can bring their A-game one more time and astonish the world with a brilliant album.

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The R˙che
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
I fully expect the new album to be a big step from from the ST and have a couple longer, more epic sounds and not have that rushed sound to it as well. And I'm willing to bet that the word got around to other casual QR fans about how amazing the last album was and because of that, the new one will end up selling quite a few copies than the ST did. I'm going to guess around 20,000 in the first week. We have to remember that Empire has sold over 3 million copies in the USA alone so there are that many casual QR fans out there who are potential future fans if they end up hearing the new stuff and how good it really is. Because of that, I think this band could have a great future ahead of them if they are marketed properly. Only time will tell though.
Countdown to Iron Maiden in concert!: http://tinyurl.com/zgc426t
Site Designer and Product Promotions for: http://www.lightupfun.com/
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/​
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
I fully expect the new album to be a big step from from the ST and have a couple longer, more epic sounds and not have that rushed sound to it as well. And I'm willing to bet that the word got around to other casual QR fans about how amazing the last album was and because of that, the new one will end up selling quite a few copies than the ST did. I'm going to guess around 20,000 in the first week. We have to remember that Empire has sold over 3 million copies in the USA alone so there are that many casual QR fans out there who are potential future fans if they end up hearing the new stuff and how good it really is. Because of that, I think this band could have a great future ahead of them if they are marketed properly. Only time will tell though.

If they were casual fans of Empire, chances are they have not followed the band throughout all the drama. At best, I think the band can hope for those casual fans to be ticket purchasers based purely on nostalgia. The business of selling records has changed too much, and without any kind of mainstream support (remember, the Empire singles were in heavy rotation on MTV and radio, a main marketing avenue the band lost in the Promised Land release/tour cycle), just getting them to hear it might be a hard proposition. The band just wasn't mainstream long enough for that 3 million in sales from Empire to translate to a rabid, long-term fan base (hell, the two tours following Empire couldn't come close to selling as well as Empire did).

Queensryche as a brand probably has enough to it to sustain them as a nostalgia act. They blew any momentum they had to be more relevant by not having a real tour strategy that mixed headlining with opening for more high-profile acts when the S/T album was released (and the already stale setlist is not helping). As long as things continue in this fragmented one-off touring approach, they will continue to be this tiny niche band until they call it quits.

T-ski

• On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
I'm starting to lose interest in the band.  All I ever see on Facebook are the same old clips over and over again of their live performances.  There is just so much a man can take of QotR, etc.

Maybe all the drama of the split is what was holding my attention in the first place, because I know it wasn't the music they were putting out (until the s/t).

They need some kind of plan.  The constant touring of the same old songs has run it's course months ago.  They have indeed become a nostalgia act and that's too bad.

Please ring in some new and kind of put the old to bed for a while.
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
Rather than quote anything above in particular, I'm gonna kind of make a broad comment across the spectrum of the last four posts here.

Lets be honest here, with or without Degarmo helping on Tribe, with or without Tate, This band has not been RELEVANT in the larger sense basically since Q2K. And specifically from pretty much Mindcrime 2 (especially after those who's interest it did peak heard the damn thing) onward up until the split, and downward spiraling irrelevance that culminated with DTC's complete failure and the gimmick bullshit that was the Caberet etc.

There are no strong album sales outside of the big players, most of which fall outside the realm of hard rock/metal...ie: Coldplay, Taylor Swift, JayZ, John Legend, Lady gaga, Katy Perry, Pharrel Williams, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars...etc,etc, So to think this bands gonna sell a ton of records is ridiculous, they could release the greatest metal/hard rock record since 1988 and it wont fuckin matter, it wont sell.

The S/T was a solid really good record from a well past their prime band, with a new very capable and solid replacement for Tate. If they build upon that with a little longer better structured and better mixed album in the same general formula, I personally call that a major success at this stage.

This is why I have been adamant in stating I do not want them touring with a bunch of new metal bands, Todd turning into a cookie monster growler, or them changing up and playin some kinda UN-Queensryche like shit.

They are what they are, I don't know why everybody is beginning to complain here about this " they gave us what we asked for and wanted" setlist.  its stale that fast? Half the people on here it seems (from what I read) haven't even seen the damn show yet. I personally saw it once and todd was sick. Once they have this second record out, I expect to hear some S/T songs, some new album songs, as well as , some post empire songs sprinkled in the set list.

This band is not all the sudden gonna be on VH1, the cover of Hit Parader (I don't think they print that anymore, but you get the point), they aren't gonna be opening for the Rolling Stones, Metallica, or Kiss these days. It is what it is and I'm sure they know this. They're no different from the likes of Fates Warning, Yes, Styx, Deep Purple, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Motorhead, King Diamond, Great White, Skid Row ...the list goes on...None are selling shit with new music, they're all just tryin to scrape by on the road playin gigs (much smaller than they used to) and sell some merchandise to survive.

Expectations need to be in perspective of the real world these bands are fighting for survival in here in 2014.       
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Grappler

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »

Lets be honest here, with or without Degarmo helping on Tribe, with or without Tate, This band has not been RELEVANT in the larger sense basically since Q2K. And specifically from pretty much Mindcrime 2 (especially after those who's interest it did peak heard the damn thing) onward up until the split, and downward spiraling irrelevance that culminated with DTC's complete failure and the gimmick bullshit that was the Caberet etc.

Completely agree.  The split with Tate put the band back on the map in a big way.

There are no strong album sales outside of the big players, most of which fall outside the realm of hard rock/metal...ie: Coldplay, Taylor Swift, JayZ, John Legend, Lady gaga, Katy Perry, Pharrel Williams, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars...etc,etc, So to think this bands gonna sell a ton of records is ridiculous, they could release the greatest metal/hard rock record since 1988 and it wont fuckin matter, it wont sell.

Also agreed.  Album sales across the board are tanking. 

This is why I have been adamant in stating I do not want them touring with a bunch of new metal bands, Todd turning into a cookie monster growler, or them changing up and playin some kinda UN-Queensryche like shit.

This is where we disagree.  It is entirely possible for a band like Queensryche to swallow some pride and work their way back up again.  Anthrax has been doing it for a while.  They were doing really well after WCFYA came out and then the wheels fell off.  They've opened for tons of bigger bands - Volbeat, Megadeth, etc.  Iced Earth has been working their assess off for 3 years now, touring relentlessly. 

Queensryche doesn't have to change drastically, though I think it would be really damn neat if they did.

I don't know why everybody is beginning to complain here about this " they gave us what we asked for and wanted" setlist.  its stale that fast? Half the people on here it seems (from what I read) haven't even seen the damn show yet. I personally saw it once and todd was sick. Once they have this second record out, I expect to hear some S/T songs, some new album songs, as well as , some post empire songs sprinkled in the set list.

I think some fans, including myself, wish that they had come out stronger.  They pretty much took 2012 off.  2013 could have been some nice tours in conjunction with the new record, with other progressive/melodic metal bands.  They're on Century Media - they could have tried to tour with any number of their labelmates if the schedules lined up.  They have only played a few songs from the album, when they could have played almost the whole thing plus another 60 minutes of old school hits.  Maybe they wouldn't be paid as much, maybe they'd be blocked out of some markets...but put a package of bands together and figure out where you can play. 

Expectations need to be in perspective of the real world these bands are fighting for survival in here in 2014.       

There are two schools of thought - Queensryche becoming a nostalgia/state fair band by being lumped in with the hairbands (which is what they've been doing, even after the split) or forging ahead as a metal band and reaffirming their stance.  Sure, they've made their guarantee by playing fly-in dates to 5, but the image isn't what I'd like to see.  I think they needed to get out in front of a lot of different types of fans, not just the nostalgic, hair band crowds. 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
I'll use this analogy, If they were to go out with a few label mates or newer metal bands that the majority of the OLD SCHOOL/ been there since the 80's/ OLDER Queensryche crowd doesn't recognize or have ever heard of. How many newer fans realistically are they going to pick up VS how many older /old school or casual fans that go see them live presently would they lose. Risk VS Reward there IMO doesn't lend itself well in this instance. Be mindful lot of Queensryche's biggest hits were a little on the poppy and or Ballad side of the spectrum in all honesty. That's a big factor here. I do however agree that they could do this to great effect in Europe, but not in the USA.   

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
I'm starting to lose interest in the band.  All I ever see on Facebook are the same old clips over and over again of their live performances.  There is just so much a man can take of QotR, etc.

Maybe all the drama of the split is what was holding my attention in the first place, because I know it wasn't the music they were putting out (until the s/t).

They need some kind of plan.  The constant touring of the same old songs has run it's course months ago.  They have indeed become a nostalgia act and that's too bad.

Please ring in some new and kind of put the old to bed for a while.

Interesting take. For me, I started losing interest in the band BECAUSE of all the drama associated with the split. From the lawsuits to the fan wars, it has taken a lot to not throw in the towel. I saw three shows pre- the S/T release and a shortened set at M3 post release and while the shows have been a breath of fresh air compared to what QR has been playing in the preceding years prior to the split, I am still not quite sure if I am sold on this lineup as a whole. I have been listening to a few TLT-era bootlegs and I appreciate all the passion he is bringing and how it has reinvigorated the band. The S/T was a solid release, but for me it failed to really make an impactful statement. It has not aged well (maybe one song would crack my top 20, and that is a big maybe) and the fact that it does not get a lot of emphasis in live shows (I remember the days when QR used to put 5-7 or more songs from the new album in the setlist, something that really helped solidify the new material and give it sustaining strength) really makes me wonder how happy they ultimately were with the finished product.

Hopefully without the time pressure that the S/T had, they can knock one out of the park and really build on the first steps they have taken. But while the band is probably historically my favorite band of all time, my motivation for maintaining the level of fandom I have long held, even through the worst of the Tateryche years, has been waning. What was once a joyous thing now feels more like it requires too much effort. I am really hoping distance from the drama of the split and a solid album to follow-up the S/T will re-build a great fire that is dangerously close to burning out...

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
I've honestly been loosing a great deal of interest in the band lately as well. A lot of the praise they got immediately after the split all the way through the release of the ST was well deserved, but after that release, they have been doing things horribly.

Yes, I do think the setlist is beyond stale, they needed an overhaul a long time ago. That being said, I see the band limping a few more months, staying relatively quiet through the holidays and a bit beyond.

After that it's time for a major grind. They dropped the ball after the ST, and they don't have the luxury of dropping the ball again if they want to stay out of obscurity. After the holidays they need to start dropping album teasers, promote themselves like crazy, and demand a PR push from the label. They need to build a frenzy around this album release (all this assuming the album is any good) and hit the road hard with a fresh setlist. I would also like to see a blast on social media of something other than old by the numbers youtube videos. Give us some behind the scenes stuff, interviews, documentaries, fan q&a's, promotions, etc.

Queensryche absolutely can make a moderate comeback, but I really do see this as their last shot. The band needs to stay tight, bring back energy to the show, I still think Todd has room to improve on his stage presence/look, and the setlist needs some new HEAVY songs.

If the band wants to headline with buy on bands opening, they better absolutely bring it, even more than they are now. They need people to be talking about their show for weeks after the fact. If they are opening for anyone, which I think is a great idea, they need to make sure the setlist is relevant to the fanbase and easily changeable. This is a band that will both gain new fans and win old fans back if they bring a high energy balls to the walls show out on the road as an opening act on a major tour. The same concept applies top bringing bands on the road with them, I think they can and will gain a large new following if they go this route, but they need heavy new material and a lights out show. Queensryche is an incredible live band with an immense catalog of great songs, after this new release they will have 90+ minutes of great new material to draw from as well. There's no reason they can't dig their career out of its grave and power forward.

Bringing this discussion back to the 2015 album, it needs to be relevant and heavy. Bring a Queensryche dual guitar attack on the new album, bring the soaring vocals and add in some longer deep tracks the long term fans will love. But don't forget the modern and heavy sounding tracks to bring on the road with new bands and to stay fresh in general. A fusion of the two gives the band one last spark, it will be up to them to make something of that spark and carry the flame into their future.

RoadWarrior21

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
It is entirely possible for a band like Queensryche to swallow some pride and work their way back up again.  Anthrax has been doing it for a while.
Sometimes I wonder about that, though. Of all the popular '80s traditional metal bands (the Big 4, Maiden, Priest, etc.), QR put themselves in a rare if not unique situation in a very bad way in that they never recovered from the mid-to-late-'90s slump. We've already been over the brand damage on numerous occasions, so no need for me to rehash that (although it might make for more interesting discussion in a separate topic), but as admirable a job as the guys have done repairing the brand with the set list and the self-titled album, it might just not be enough with the damage done by the shenanigans in recent years. Not only that, but they also had all the Tates' dirty deeds in regards to "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" and their hitting every market they could two or three times a year. As NJFF said, things are what they are at this point and I'm not sure what could be done beyond what they're doing now. Who's to say that they haven't tried to get a spot on a tour with Maiden or Iced Earth and it just didn't happen for whatever reason?

But maybe things could change, if they bring the progression from the 2013 self-titled album and played songs from the new album (and the S/T) in their shows. To what extent, I don't know, but if it has, say, a "Roads to Madness"/"Promised Land"-type epic, a couple of balls-to-the-wall tunes a la "Deliverance" or "Don't Look Back," and isn't brickwalled all to shit, that could definitely open more doors for them especially if they played those songs live.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:29:37 PM by RoadWarrior21 »

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Hey guys and girls, we were getting a bit far off topic (myself included), so I decided to split the thread. From here on out lets keep this thread for relevant album discussion - future info on release dates, teasers, speculation, and the like. If it gets broader than that, there's probably a better thread for it.

Nobody did anything wrong obviously, just a little clarification and a reminder for myself.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
I think this next album is gonna kick MAJOR ass and cement in stone that they are better now than they have been since the end of the Promised Land tour without a doubt. They already have regained the heavy feel of the early days, Todd's vocals are top notch and its all in tune. The more I listen to ST, there's no doubt in my mind this next record is gonna be ridiculous as this time they're taking their time. better production though please and MUCH longer.

T-ski

• On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
what became of all the talk of getting the new album out early in 2015?  there has been zero buzz around this new album other than all the "pre-order" pledge drive thing.

curious minds want to know.
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

Grappler

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
Per the new Metal Nation Radio interview with Todd:

*Still in the demo stage
*15+ songs are nearly done
*Not yet in the studio
*Century Media is not pressuring them to record or finish ASAP
*He doesn't want to change the sound/style of the band drastically
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:12:04 AM by Grappler »

Deathless

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »
Also, Jimbo was in Seattle earlier this week (they posted a pic on the FB page). Wondering if he's up there doing pre-production? Or starting the discussion on recording, etc.