Author Topic: Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)  (Read 1332 times)

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
Now that we have two Very Good Queensryche albums with the current lineup. Interesting to see where they fall in the rankings. Rank all the Queensryche studio albums in order best to worst and for a bonus, if you'd like, you can rank the live releases best to worst. I will need some time to think about my list, but thought this would be cool to do.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Re: Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
Ok here goes.

1) Operation Mindcrime
2) Rage For Order
3) The Warning
4) Condition Human
5) Empire
6) Promised Land
7) Queensryche 2013
8) Tribe
9) Hear In The Now Frontier
10) Q2K
11) Operation Mindcrime 2
12) American Soldier
13) Take Cover
14) Dedicated To Chaos

I didn't consider the debut EP because it is a smaller sampling and not fair to compare it to full releases. Had I considered it, I would probably have put it between Tribe and HITNF.   

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
1. Operation Mindcrime
2. Promised Land
3. The Warning
4. Condition Human
5. Rage for Order
6. Empire
7. Queensryche 2013
8. Hear in the Now Frontier
9. Dedicated to Chaos
10. Q2K
11. Tribe
12. American Soldier
13. Operation Mindcrime 2.

I've never really paid any attention to Take Cover, and it remains the only album of theirs I've never purchased, so no ranking for it. There is a MASSIVE gulf between the S/T and Hear in the Now Frontier. Honestly, I never listen to anything below that gap. I put DtC higher than most people will, I bet. It's my guilty pleasure. Sure there is some absolute drec on there, but some of it shows real promise, and honestly I can't make myself hate Wot We Do. It's just too dumb and fun.

And honestly, I really consider O:MC and PL tied for first, The Warning is second, and then RfO and CH are tied for third. Those 5 albums, I swear, every single one of them is probably in my top 30 of all time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:14:15 AM by HolyDiver »
What's becoming of me?

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
1) Operation Mindcrime
    Rage for order
That is a tie.
2) Warning
3) Condition Human
4) Empire
5) S/T
6) Promised Land
7) Tribe
8) HITNF
9) Q2K
Then we get to the last gasps
10) Take cover
      American Soldier
      Mindcrime 2
      DTC
These three all have their moments but collectively do not get much play from me.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm going to forego my list, after HD's comments on DTC, I'm going to listen to that album all the way through, something I've never done. I'll have to do it online because I've never bought that one. To give it a fair shake before I make my list.  8)
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »
That was PAINFUL HD. I will buy the record, simply because I found a couple songs I enjoyed. I'll break down my thoughts on the record in the dedicated To Chaos thread, I believe it's still on here, unless I deleted it due to lack of activity. None the less it was not enough to change my placing of the record in last place. I can't believe you put that album above Tribe, but to each their own lol. Anyway.

My placing of these albums seems to change over time, but for now they sit as follows.

1) Operation Mindcrime (taken as a whole, complete piece of music I guess I have to go here)
2) Promised Land (this tour had a lasting effect, this is a deep record, I love it)
3) Condition Human (largely because I love every song on this album)
4) Rage For Order (a few mis steps is all that keeps this from ranking higher)
5) Warning (my number 5, 6 and 7 are all very close and could easily flip flop around in order. this album has 6 great songs, I place it first because it was one of my early favorites as a metal head)
6) Empire (this too has 6 great songs, it contains more filler than Warning, but was an album I overall loved)
7) Queensryche 2013 (this one just misses as I count 5 great songs. Had they taken a little more time and added a couple songs and fleshed out a few of the ones already on here this could have been higher)
8) Tribe ( I count 5 great songs on this one, but a few from S/T clearly beat them out).
9) Q2K ( I put this above HITNF based on the strength of The Right Side Of My Mind, which I love. I count maybe 4 great songs on this one)
10) Hear In The Now Frontier ( I count about 4 great songs here as well)
11) Operation Mindcrime 2 ( I count 4 great songs here)
12) American Soldier (this one's tough, I give it a slight edge over Take Cover, because I did like a few songs on take Cover most notably Welcome To The Machine, and Bullet The Blue Sky, but that shouldn't count because it was live and I like Home Again. I count 3 good ones on this record)
13) Take Cover (hit and miss, a few good ones)
14) Dedicated To Chaos ( I like At The Edge, Broken, Big Noize and Get Started, the good ones are just good, the bad ones are Really bad)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
I'll give it a shot from bottom to top using the five-star rating system:

15. 'Dedicated To Chaos' (I think this ranking speaks for itself. Awful. 1/2 star. Enough said.)

14. 'Take Cover' (I love 'Bullet The Blue Sky', and the rest are...meh. One star.)

13. 'Q2K' (A few shining moments, particularly 'Falling Down', 'Liquid Sky', and 'The Right Side Of My Mind'. The rest are mediocre at best. Two stars.)

12. 'American Soldier' (Like I've said previously, I grew to appreciate this album a LITTLE more a year after release after seeing the embarrassing Caberet tour in 2010. 'A Dead Man's Words', 'Middle Of Hell', and 'The Voice' are the standouts for me. Two stars.)

11. 'Tribe' (The best part about this album is 'Open'. That said, I also like 'Blood' a lot as well. The latter is unquestionably some of Geoff's most scathing commentary ever in the band's history. It's too bad they never played it live. Two stars.)

10. 'Hear In The Now Frontier' (The creative well ran dry for the original lineup by this point, however, songs like 'Some People Fly', 'Sign Of The Times', 'Hit The Black', and 'spOOL' still hold up today. 2.5 stars.)

9. 'Operation: Mindcrime II' (As a "sequel" to the REAL 'Operation: Mindcrime' it's a big fat ZERO! That said, I'll happily give credit to Mike Stone for putting his stamp on the album which arguably made it better to my ears. To this day Stone does NOT get the respect he deserves from fans, media, OR the band in my opinion. Which I find shameful. 'Murderer?', 'The Hands', and 'Hostage' are the standout tracks by far. On its own merits, I give 'O:M II' three stars.)

8. 'Eponymous 2013' (Short in length and right to the point. Which is what Queensryche needed at the time. 'Where Dreams Go To Die' is the big winner here easily, followed by 'Spore' and 'In This Light'. A solid album, but not a great one. Three stars.)

7. 'Condition Human' (The next logical step for Queensryche. I'd say 'Guardian' and 'Eye 9' hit the bulls-eye while 'Toxic Remedy', 'Hourglass', and 'Hellfire' hold their own as well. In some ways, it picks up where '2013' left off with a few twists here and there. Again, a solid album from a solid lineup. Three stars.)

6. 'The Warning' (The first Queensryche album I ever bought in the summer of 1985. In my opinion, the current lineup has more in common with this album than anything else from the original lineup. 'Roads To Madness' remains the greatest song on here. 'En Force' is another one. Three stars.)

5. 'EP' (Yes, I'm counting this because this is EXACTLY who they were at that time. They wore their British hard rock influences on their sleeves. What it lacks in originality it compensates in youthful energy, not unlike the first Rush album in my opinion. All four tracks are killer. I say between 3.5 and four stars. Tough one.

4. 'Empire' (Some great tracks and some weak tracks, but it was admirable that the band wanted to keep evolving in sound. My favorites are the title track, 'Another Rainy Night', and 'Della Brown'. 3.5 stars.)

3. 'Promised Land' (If Queensryche have a true "prog" album in the catalog, it's this one without question. Sonically, musically, and lyrically everything flows naturally. 'Lady Jane', 'Dis Con Nec Ted', 'I Am I', and the title track really define this album. Also, I think 'Real World' should have been included on the original release. Bad move indeed. 'Promised Land' remains the LOST classic from Queensryche. Four stars.

2. 'Rage For Order' (The album where Queensryche TRULY became Queensryche, finding a sound that was all theirs. Not to mention it was a LITTLE ahead of its time creatively. And leagues beyond 'The Warning'. A very CLOSE second in the catalog. Five stars.)

1. 'Operation: Mindcrime' (The greatest hard rock record ever recorded, and a touchstone of Gen X. Five stars.)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:22:28 AM by Operation:Queensr˙che »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
That was PAINFUL HD. I will buy the record, simply because I found a couple songs I enjoyed. I'll break down my thoughts on the record in the dedicated To Chaos thread, I believe it's still on here, unless I deleted it due to lack of activity. None the less it was not enough to change my placing of the record in last place. I can't believe you put that album above Tribe, but to each their own lol. Anyway.

My placing of these albums seems to change over time, but for now they sit as follows.

1) Operation Mindcrime (taken as a whole, complete piece of music I guess I have to go here)
2) Promised Land (this tour had a lasting effect, this is a deep record, I love it)
3) Condition Human (largely because I love every song on this album)
4) Rage For Order (a few mis steps is all that keeps this from ranking higher)
5) Warning (my number 5, 6 and 7 are all very close and could easily flip flop around in order. this album has 6 great songs, I place it first because it was one of my early favorites as a metal head)
6) Empire (this too has 6 great songs, it contains more filler than Warning, but was an album I overall loved)
7) Queensryche 2013 (this one just misses as I count 5 great songs. Had they taken a little more time and added a couple songs and fleshed out a few of the ones already on here this could have been higher)
8) Tribe ( I count 5 great songs on this one, but a few from S/T clearly beat them out).
9) Q2K ( I put this above HITNF based on the strength of The Right Side Of My Mind, which I love. I count maybe 4 great songs on this one)
10) Hear In The Now Frontier ( I count about 4 great songs here as well)
11) Operation Mindcrime 2 ( I count 4 great songs here)
12) American Soldier (this one's tough, I give it a slight edge over Take Cover, because I did like a few songs on take Cover most notably Welcome To The Machine, and Bullet The Blue Sky, but that shouldn't count because it was live and I like Home Again. I count 3 good ones on this record)
13) Take Cover (hit and miss, a few good ones)
14) Dedicated To Chaos ( I like At The Edge, Broken, Big Noize and Get Started, the good ones are just good, the bad ones are Really bad)

Looking back over my list here, since we're talking about a few of these records presently. I'd have to stand by this account