Author Topic: The BEAT DOWN ROOM (BDR)  (Read 140004 times)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
Re: The BEAT DOWN ROOM (BDR)
« Reply #1050 on: February 05, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »
It's so funny that multiple people told Blackbird the term "Frankenryche" was stupid, but all it took was his Good Buddy Whip to say something to make Blackbird reevaluate his entire life. For someone who's not a "sound bite guy" Whip sure is persuasive!

I find it interesting that Blackbird seemingly hasn't promoted his big "confession" anywhere online, least of all not on DTF. It's almost like it's up there for posterity and nothing more.

Here's one way this could all be interpreted.

So in 2017, Blackbird was still in full TLT Witch Hunt Murderball* mode, freshly fuming from having to permanently shutter the BDR in December 2016 (not "months following the band's settlement with Tate" as Blackbird wishes to believe) after reopening it and failing to gain any traction. He looks at a calendar and thinks "Hot diggity, Mindcrime turns 30 in 2018" and starts the ball rolling.

The first thing he has to do is eat crow and apologize to Geoff Tate: "Sorry I dug up those court documents and dragged your name in the fucking mud for about ten years. So how about we get a full band reunion for Mindcrime's 30th anniversary in 2018? I'll even go to one of your solo shows as a sign of good faith. We cool, bro?" Geoff accepts his apology, mostly because he has a sense of humour and finds crazy fans like him fascinating.

Blackbird reaches out to Queensryche in a similar fashion around the same time, and the band tells him to take a hike. The Verdict was originally intended to be released in the spring of 2018 (before Scott fucked everything up), so in 2017 they wouldn't have had time to deal with a reunion the following year or any of Blackbird's bullshit.

So no full band reunion in 2018. Damn it. Well, there's always Empire's 30th in 2020. What to do, what to do.

Blackbird calls Tate again in early 2019: "Ok so the Mindcrime reunion didn't happen. What about a reunion in 2020 performing Empire in its entirety? By the way, we're still cool, yeah? I've since written a bunch of articles and reviews which put you in a very favourable light on my website. Please check them out and consider my proposal." Tate figures even if the full band can't get back together, Empire in its entirety is at least a decent idea for HIM to do. Thanks for the idea, Blackbird!

Blackbird calls up his Good Buddy Whip around the same time with the same sales pitch, saying he wrote a pretty positive review of the Verdict (even though he never bothered to post a proper review on his blog). Whip checks it out, but also notices a string of DTF posts, whereby Blackbird calls the band "Frankenryche" on a number of occasions, even defending his position at one point, saying "The term "Frankenryche" offends some. Too bad. It fits." Whip writes him back, calls him out and says "Dude, you're trying to make amends but you're still going around calling us Frankenryche? Grow the fuck up and move the fuck on. Next time you "accidentally" bump into me at the produce section of the grocery store, I WON'T say hello. GOOD DAY SIR."

Blackbird is crushed. Like Nicki running madly through the rain in Operation: Mindcrime, he has no one left in the band to turn to: Geoff, whose relationship he decimated for a decade and is only now slowly mending; Parker, who he criticized for his anti-police comments; Todd, who called his wife names and is a dirty, dirty anti-theist; Scott, who smeared his signature when signing one of Blackbird's albums; and Eddie, who has just never given him the time of day. And now Whip. Good Buddy Whip. What has Blackbird become.

After some reflection (and the realization that the possibility of a full band reunion is slowly slipping away from him), Blackbird dusts himself off, wipes his tears, takes a good long shit and an even longer shower, and then replies to Whip. He shares his "confession" blog with him as a promise to change. As a sign of good faith, he'll even go to the next Queensryche show and give them an even-keeled review. All he asks is for the band to please consider reuniting with Tate and Degarmo for one last kick at the can.

If there's a full band reunion in 2020, it will ALL be because of Blackbird, and he damn well had better post a triumphant blog outlining all the steps he took to make it happen. TAKE HOLD.

*See my post from October 3, 2016. Posts don't get deleted here, friends!

It should be said that there's no way to know if Tate and Wilton even responded to EOL's alleged e-mail. Personally, I think that whole story (and "confession") is bullshit.

Birdbrain is still his own worst enemy. He'll never learn. 😉...🥱

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 10, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
Reading Blackbird's review of Queensryche's recent show is a hoot.

I was at a tipping point with Queensryche six years ago. After numerous lineup changes, I felt the band had become a caricature of itself and didn't adequately support its new music, so I quit going to see them live.

But I still followed every damn thing they did, and even re-opened the BDR in hopes of bringing about change, the same way I did before. If I could knock out Tate, I could knock out La Torre. But that didn't work at all. If anything, it just made things worse for myself, because a few chuckleheads with a website saw to it that my abhorrent behavior did not go unpunished.

But on a whim, I decided to take in Queensryche's show on February 1, 2020, at the Ace of Spades, in Sacramento, Calif. And by the time the band's 17-song, 90-minute gig was done, this one-man jury found the Seattle-based quintet guilty of being a relevant, contemporary progressive metal band again.

And by "whim" I mean "desperately trying to get back on the band's good side in hopes of getting a full-band reunion by the end of the year." This whole sunshine and roses review is probably one of the most difficult things I've had to write.

But ISN'T THAT BIT ABOUT "THIS ONE-MAN JURY FINDS THEM GUILTY" JUST THE MOST CLEVER THING YOU'VE EVER HEARD? PRETTY PROUD OF THAT ONE. If I hadn't been acting like such a pissant, I would've used that bit in my official review for the Verdict. But instead I use it here. That right there is a fucking WRITER, friends. Writing some fucking WORDS. Take a good long look. I SAID GODDAMN.

Almost one-quarter of Queensryche's set consisted of tunes from its highly regarded 2019 album, The Verdict. Fans were treated to "Man the Machine," "Bent," "Dark Reverie," and "Light-years." While most bands that have been around for almost 40 years typically see their fans head for the bathroom when they play new material, Queensryche's audience reacted decidedly positive to the new cuts. Looking around, people were dialed-in, singing along, and headbanging to the groove.

Not even two months ago, this review would've been chockablock with complaints about the band ONLY playing 4 songs from their new album. But bear with me; I'm in full ass-kissing mode here.

Surprises on the night included deep cuts "Resistance" (from 1990's Empire) and "No Sanctuary" (from 1984's The Warning).

I am literally holding my tongue on this one, because holy shit Todd sounds horrible in these. But I can't fucking say that because I promised Whip I wouldn't be such an asshole. If you want to know what I really thought, go read what I wrote a couple weeks ago on DTF about Resistance. Coz this is fucking gross. I want you all to appreciate the fucking restraint I'm showing here. Todd sucks on toast.

Always under the microscope, La Torre handled the vocal acrobatics of Queensryche well, even with the show being the band's fifth in a row. It's still uncanny how parts of his voice so closely resemble Tate's. But after almost eight years in the band, its nice to see he's made the songs his own, instead of trying to stick to the template established by his predecessor. La Torre hit many of the signature high notes, but injected a lot of grit into them, and picked some appropriate spots for some growls, to give the tunes a tougher feel.

Off the record, Todd sounds horrible on the Empire stuff because his voice is thinner than Tate's. As I've said multiple times, that's not his fault, that's just his voice. His voice is thinner than Tate's. But hey, that's natural. Todd's voice is thinner. Tate's is richer. Just how it is. Todd's voice is thinner. Tate's is not. And that's totally fine. This one-man jury finds Todd's voice guilty of being thinner than Tate's. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Looking at the show critically, one major complaint is the length of concert. At 90 minutes, it seems awfully short for a band of Queensryche's history and caliber. Even La Torre noted when talking to the crowd that the setlist is always difficult for them to figure out, given the sheer number of songs in the band's catalog (approaching 200). Adding just 15 more minutes to the set time would help tremendously, enabling the band to play another two or three tunes.

I still need to be seen as a credible music journalist, so I can't review this show without any criticism. And I have been known to come at musicians with some hard-hitting, tough questions in interviews, so hot damn I ain't stopping now. For the record, 90 minutes is way too short and it's all because Todd sucks and doesn't have the stamina to perform a 2-hour show. I know it, you know it, but I need to pussy foot around it because I'm finally trying to play the game again. TAKE HOLD.
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 10, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
😄….Classic! Your translation(s) of Rustvold's insincere and questionable review are much more credible and on-point than anything he wrote.

I would add though that he only wants to be on the band's guest list again-- "reunion" or not. Birdbrain is great at taking advantage of people, as the entire Queensryche online community knows all too well.

Great post Rock. 😎

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 11, 2020, 10:34:45 PM »
Reading Blackbird's review of Queensryche's recent show is a hoot.

I was at a tipping point with Queensryche six years ago. After numerous lineup changes, I felt the band had become a caricature of itself and didn't adequately support its new music, so I quit going to see them live.

But I still followed every damn thing they did, and even re-opened the BDR in hopes of bringing about change, the same way I did before. If I could knock out Tate, I could knock out La Torre. But that didn't work at all. If anything, it just made things worse for myself, because a few chuckleheads with a website saw to it that my abhorrent behavior did not go unpunished.

But on a whim, I decided to take in Queensryche's show on February 1, 2020, at the Ace of Spades, in Sacramento, Calif. And by the time the band's 17-song, 90-minute gig was done, this one-man jury found the Seattle-based quintet guilty of being a relevant, contemporary progressive metal band again.

And by "whim" I mean "desperately trying to get back on the band's good side in hopes of getting a full-band reunion by the end of the year." This whole sunshine and roses review is probably one of the most difficult things I've had to write.

But ISN'T THAT BIT ABOUT "THIS ONE-MAN JURY FINDS THEM GUILTY" JUST THE MOST CLEVER THING YOU'VE EVER HEARD? PRETTY PROUD OF THAT ONE. If I hadn't been acting like such a pissant, I would've used that bit in my official review for the Verdict. But instead I use it here. That right there is a fucking WRITER, friends. Writing some fucking WORDS. Take a good long look. I SAID GODDAMN.

Almost one-quarter of Queensryche's set consisted of tunes from its highly regarded 2019 album, The Verdict. Fans were treated to "Man the Machine," "Bent," "Dark Reverie," and "Light-years." While most bands that have been around for almost 40 years typically see their fans head for the bathroom when they play new material, Queensryche's audience reacted decidedly positive to the new cuts. Looking around, people were dialed-in, singing along, and headbanging to the groove.

Not even two months ago, this review would've been chockablock with complaints about the band ONLY playing 4 songs from their new album. But bear with me; I'm in full ass-kissing mode here.

Surprises on the night included deep cuts "Resistance" (from 1990's Empire) and "No Sanctuary" (from 1984's The Warning).

I am literally holding my tongue on this one, because holy shit Todd sounds horrible in these. But I can't fucking say that because I promised Whip I wouldn't be such an asshole. If you want to know what I really thought, go read what I wrote a couple weeks ago on DTF about Resistance. Coz this is fucking gross. I want you all to appreciate the fucking restraint I'm showing here. Todd sucks on toast.

Always under the microscope, La Torre handled the vocal acrobatics of Queensryche well, even with the show being the band's fifth in a row. It's still uncanny how parts of his voice so closely resemble Tate's. But after almost eight years in the band, its nice to see he's made the songs his own, instead of trying to stick to the template established by his predecessor. La Torre hit many of the signature high notes, but injected a lot of grit into them, and picked some appropriate spots for some growls, to give the tunes a tougher feel.

Off the record, Todd sounds horrible on the Empire stuff because his voice is thinner than Tate's. As I've said multiple times, that's not his fault, that's just his voice. His voice is thinner than Tate's. But hey, that's natural. Todd's voice is thinner. Tate's is richer. Just how it is. Todd's voice is thinner. Tate's is not. And that's totally fine. This one-man jury finds Todd's voice guilty of being thinner than Tate's. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Looking at the show critically, one major complaint is the length of concert. At 90 minutes, it seems awfully short for a band of Queensryche's history and caliber. Even La Torre noted when talking to the crowd that the setlist is always difficult for them to figure out, given the sheer number of songs in the band's catalog (approaching 200). Adding just 15 more minutes to the set time would help tremendously, enabling the band to play another two or three tunes.

I still need to be seen as a credible music journalist, so I can't review this show without any criticism. And I have been known to come at musicians with some hard-hitting, tough questions in interviews, so hot damn I ain't stopping now. For the record, 90 minutes is way too short and it's all because Todd sucks and doesn't have the stamina to perform a 2-hour show. I know it, you know it, but I need to pussy foot around it because I'm finally trying to play the game again. TAKE HOLD.

yeah, that is much more in line with his usual perception of things for the past few years  ;D

unspOOLed

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 28, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
Hell, if I'd known he was at the Ace of Spades show, I would have offered to buy him crow sammich and gotten him blind drunk so I could share pics of the one-eyed jury wankering at the stage.  Talk about missed opportunities...

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 04, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
It looks like EOL has a new avatar--- a red Birdbrain! 🙄...😃

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »

He has formally adopted his alter ego "Birdbrain"  ;D :D that is hysterical  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 06, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »

LMFAO  ;D >:D
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 29, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »

🐦🧠

😃