Author Topic: The BEAT DOWN ROOM (BDR)  (Read 103063 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: The BEAT DOWN ROOM (BDR)
« Reply #645 on: October 16, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
Read them while you can, I have feeling some of these sites will go dark once the word gets around of the story they tell.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~dreemland/tce/faq.html#toc

I was surprised to find this relic still out there on the web.  Scroll about 2/3 of the way down, there's a list of some of the old chat rooms/message boards. 

At the very bottom is a list of people thanked by Kevin Scurlock and Sean Webb, who were the webmasters for early versions of what eventually became Queensryche.com. To demonstrate how vindictive the fanclub management could be, even to one of their own, one of the people listed in the credits was later issued a cease and desist order to refrain from making negative comments and posts about the Queensryche organization or face legal action.  A copy of the order (or its text) was posted on the QR.com forum board AND some of boards listed on The Crossroad's Edge site.

Wow, an old issue of the Screaming in Digital newsletter is out there, too, this one discussing the fanclub-only event, Seattle '96, which included an hour set by the band:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.artists.queensryche/9NzCdq9mH3o

Damn, take a look at those names in the The Crossroad's Edge credits again from 1997, match them up with some of those mention in the SiD issue, then check out the archived board below to see what kind of shit storm some of those folks from the inner sanctum were dealing with after the fanclub power transferred from Metal Sushi (Whip's mom) to Ziggy (Susan Tate). This is what the boards looked like in the HITNF/Q2K days: (The thread that starts with "1/20/99 Chris Tidwell On 21 Jan 1999, Jakk21 wrote: > Hey Chris... > Ever think about writing for a slander magazine?" is a good place to start).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.artists.queensryche/LgO-qqvDby4%5B1-25%5D

To pull this back on topic, the archived board above exemplifies the environment in which the BDR cut its teeth.

First off welcome Unspooled, great to have you aboard  8) your info has been a very interesting read, please feel free to make yourself at home and continue on with your vast knowledge of these earlier forum sites. Don't worry about going off topic or steering the conversation back to the bdr we don't play like that here. this is all relevant and very interesting reading and connects a lot of the dots and continues to offer a vast background, storyline and pertinent info in regards to the whole Queensryche online community.

If we get to the point where this gets to really have a lot of stuff getting mashed together between these other sites we could always create off shoot split threads like the one I did for remembering the Open Road forum.   
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 16, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
The layouts/graphics were primitive, just a header and a simple line between posts.  Hopefully, someone has some of those saved and can post 'em up.  The format was pre-thread, so they weren’t multi-topic per se.   Posts were just one under the other chronologically, newest posts first, so you had to scroll down to where you left off on you last visit and work your way back to the top.  Like goddamn graffiti on the shitter wall, you couldn't help yourself but read all of it - especially when there was a good flame war underway.

That pretty much says it all, primitive at best. I've gone through some crap I had saved, even broke out some CD-ROMs with back-ups of some pre 2000 files. Haven't run across anything I had saved from The Void. I'm at my office, I'll dig some more at home tonight. I could kick myself in the ass for not saving screenshots... I have links to hundreds of threads from the old days, naively thinking the sites would stay there forever. Sadly "most of this is memory now". I know I have some HTML from The Void because I ran across it not to long ago, hopefully I can find it. unspOOLed has done a great job describing all these sites (it's been a pleasure to read) ;)

Didn't spend much time at The Sanctuary, I would check in once in a while and see that is was worse than the last time, that's about it.  It was rude, vulgar and anybody with an alternative viewpoint was attacked. If you didn't agree that GT and Susan were evil and HITNF sucked, no sense in hanging around. Sorta like the BDR with less teeth and no articulate moderator to steer you back to their point of view (or out the door). The Void was plain white text on a pitch black background. It was like walking into a busy bar and sitting there alone with a tall glass of "WTF". So many conversations going on at once, really most having nothing to do with QR.

At both sites there seemed to be a  central group of misfits that spent every waking hour there - always bitching about how QR management had screwed them over. The recurring theme seemed to be getting cheated out of M&G passes or other access and how Susan was the devil and "played favorites". I still looked at the band through "rose colored glasses" so it was hard to understand how people could be so angry. This bled into everyone pissing all over HITNF and endless talk over what a horrible record it was. When Chris left - he sky was falling and QR were on their way out. There is no way he just wanted to move on, GT and Susan must have forced him out. Entertaining to read at times but nothing earth-shattering. Don't really remember any names and can't speak to whether EOL was part of the charade.

SiD was the only tame place, and the only place I spent much time. Dan did a great job of moderating so my guess (looking back) is that none of the "crusaders" felt welcome there. He warned myself and another member named "Oliver" for posting long posts about QR or their albums. "People don't come here to read long, drawn out posts. This place is for light-hearted commentary and discussion"...
"Well, Dan, can't they just scroll past my posts??" Lol. I discovered a lot of other bands and albums from the discussion we had there and it was my safe haven from the perplexing negativity. I would pay a king's ransom to go back and read it now.

Great to have you aboard as well Fate, I know you've been around for a little while longer  8) great to hear from you. Very good info. Any of that stuff you can find that can be posted on here for peoples curiousity, nostalgia and general interest in the Queensryche online communities colorful past would be great additions, as I said we can always split the topics if there comes a need or people want me to do that to make it easier to follow on specific topics. Just let me know.

I have launched my own in depth research to try and find info on all these other sites mentioned and will continue work on that project this week and will post up my findings.  :D

This is filling in a lot of gaps here because I was not active in any of these forums back then. I was a huge fan right from the gate but didn't begin lurking on these forums until the bdr well into the game. hearing all this not so sure whether I'm glad I missed all that or not lol  ;D

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 16, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
And..... I know there are more of you out there that are reading this thread that were a part of these sites, maybe even some of the major players involved in them. Where are ya? join the site and participate. This is about the only place on the internet now to my knowledge where you seem to be able to talk about all this without being censored lol.  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 16, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Read them while you can, I have feeling some of these sites will go dark once the word gets around of the story they tell.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~dreemland/tce/faq.html#toc

I was surprised to find this relic still out there on the web.  Scroll about 2/3 of the way down, there's a list of some of the old chat rooms/message boards. 

At the very bottom is a list of people thanked by Kevin Scurlock and Sean Webb, who were the webmasters for early versions of what eventually became Queensryche.com. To demonstrate how vindictive the fanclub management could be, even to one of their own, one of the people listed in the credits was later issued a cease and desist order to refrain from making negative comments and posts about the Queensryche organization or face legal action.  A copy of the order (or its text) was posted on the QR.com forum board AND some of boards listed on The Crossroad's Edge site.

Wow, an old issue of the Screaming in Digital newsletter is out there, too, this one discussing the fanclub-only event, Seattle '96, which included an hour set by the band:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.artists.queensryche/9NzCdq9mH3o

Damn, take a look at those names in the The Crossroad's Edge credits again from 1997, match them up with some of those mention in the SiD issue, then check out the archived board below to see what kind of shit storm some of those folks from the inner sanctum were dealing with after the fanclub power transferred from Metal Sushi (Whip's mom) to Ziggy (Susan Tate). This is what the boards looked like in the HITNF/Q2K days: (The thread that starts with "1/20/99 Chris Tidwell On 21 Jan 1999, Jakk21 wrote: > Hey Chris... > Ever think about writing for a slander magazine?" is a good place to start).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.artists.queensryche/LgO-qqvDby4%5B1-25%5D

To pull this back on topic, the archived board above exemplifies the environment in which the BDR cut its teeth.

Those links at times are saying down in the bottom left corner when you click them that they are unavailable. keep hitting "Reload" they do open after a few tries, if anyone else has that problem  8)

unspOOLed

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
Link fixed. Again.  No, seriously this time ::)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.artists.queensryche/rumors/rec.music.artists.queensryche/LmuZcNffuNs/Pk81vOpE85wJ

I read the first entry and snorted and my Insania ran out my nose...

Apparently "Rustvold" was one of his form names, I stand corrected.  He chimes in about 5 posts down from the top.  Lol!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:26:28 PM by unspOOLed »

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »
All great info, interesting stuff. Ok, so does anybody know the timelines of The Void, The Sanctuary and Screaming in Digital sites, as in from what year to what year those were in operation? I get the general idea that these sites all operated in the late 90's, but curious as to their beginning and ending dates.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 17, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
All great info, interesting stuff. Ok, so does anybody know the timelines of The Void, The Sanctuary and Screaming in Digital sites, as in from what year to what year those were in operation? I get the general idea that these sites all operated in the late 90's, but curious as to their beginning and ending dates.

The only one I've been able to find a somewhat accurate (??) timeline on is the SiD page. If my info. is correct, SiD commenced in Oct. 1991 as a newsletter and then went online in 1995, then apparently ceased to exist in (or around) 2010 (?).

However, if you look at SW's account that I re-posted above he makes it seem like all three were gone by the time Rustvold ( :-[... :D) and KI/Q's site invaded the fan base. As a result, it's kind of hard to tell when they all started (and ended).  :-\

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
Here's a couple of responses to the alleged "theological" dispute between La Torre and End Of Line. ONLY the names of the old site's OWNERS have been changed. From 9/8/15:

Tony Flying Squirrel: "I can't honestly see a reason to have such an unfavorable response. This (EOL's) site has been the single most objective discussion board on the band. One of, if not THE largest promoter of the band (as well). And aside from the band itself, the most outspoken voice of protection in favor of the band when it comes to illegal acquisition of the band's product.

The interview (note: I assume he means review) creates a buzz for the band at the time of a record release, which is the timely opportunity that you would want some press on. The band has acknowledged End Of Line
, Khaleesi/Ice Queen, and (their) site as such.

This unfortunately comes down to a theological dispute that can't be reconciled in my opinion. So instead of (La Torre) being a gentlemen and thanking End Of Line for the glowing review, the response ensued. And inappropriately, in my opinion."

EvilAshLives: "A theological dispute? Are you able to provide any further insight into the nature of the dispute? I've heard Todd is an atheist (or "anti-theist" if he likes, in reality a distinction without a difference); is he upset because End Of Line is a theist? If so, why?

Shoot, I've got an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University, and have studied philosophy and theology under William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, R. Scott Smith, Scott Rae, and many others.

But, I don't begrudge Todd his atheism, nor would I block him from any social media sites for disagreeing with my beliefs. If that's what he chooses to believe, what has that (got) to do with me, any other fan, or the music he releases under the Queensryche moniker?

I would hope Todd would have a thicker skin than that, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue."

TFS responded with the following:

"I apologize for adding that, please disregard." 

Anyone, anyone? I'll respond a little later.  :o... :D

*FOR CLARIFICATION*: I should remind everyone that the above posts are from the infamous (and deleted... :D) thread "So, I found this interesting" . That's when End Of Line told us that La Torre hurt his feelings by telling a fan via Twitter the old site wasn't a "credible music press outlet":'(

Do you remember if this was the first mention (in that thread) of the possibility of that being a theological dispute? I'm not sure if I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall feeling like I was missing something when Tony first brought that up (which also appeared to be EvilAshLives' reaction as well). Maybe he was just postulating based on things Blackbird had said in other threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tony got a curt private message saying "hey shut up about that please" in addition to the public posts from the mods saying "no discussion about any personal relationship Blackbird may - or may NOT - have with Todd is allowed."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:32:22 AM by Rockox »
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 17, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Here's a couple of responses to the alleged "theological" dispute between La Torre and End Of Line. ONLY the names of the old site's OWNERS have been changed. From 9/8/15:

Tony Flying Squirrel: "I can't honestly see a reason to have such an unfavorable response. This (EOL's) site has been the single most objective discussion board on the band. One of, if not THE largest promoter of the band (as well). And aside from the band itself, the most outspoken voice of protection in favor of the band when it comes to illegal acquisition of the band's product.

The interview (note: I assume he means review) creates a buzz for the band at the time of a record release, which is the timely opportunity that you would want some press on. The band has acknowledged End Of Line
, Khaleesi/Ice Queen, and (their) site as such.

This unfortunately comes down to a theological dispute that can't be reconciled in my opinion. So instead of (La Torre) being a gentlemen and thanking End Of Line for the glowing review, the response ensued. And inappropriately, in my opinion."

EvilAshLives: "A theological dispute? Are you able to provide any further insight into the nature of the dispute? I've heard Todd is an atheist (or "anti-theist" if he likes, in reality a distinction without a difference); is he upset because End Of Line is a theist? If so, why?

Shoot, I've got an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University, and have studied philosophy and theology under William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, R. Scott Smith, Scott Rae, and many others.

But, I don't begrudge Todd his atheism, nor would I block him from any social media sites for disagreeing with my beliefs. If that's what he chooses to believe, what has that (got) to do with me, any other fan, or the music he releases under the Queensryche moniker?

I would hope Todd would have a thicker skin than that, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue."

TFS responded with the following:

"I apologize for adding that, please disregard." 

Anyone, anyone? I'll respond a little later.  :o... :D

*FOR CLARIFICATION*: I should remind everyone that the above posts are from the infamous (and deleted... :D) thread "So, I found this interesting" . That's when End Of Line told us that La Torre hurt his feelings by telling a fan via Twitter the old site wasn't a "credible music press outlet":'(

Do you remember if this was the first mention (in that thread) of the possibility of that being a theological dispute? I'm not sure if I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall feeling like I was missing something when Tony first brought that up (which also appeared to be EvilAshLives' reaction as well). Maybe he was just offering postulating based on things Blackbird had said in other threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tony got a curt private message saying "hey shut up about that please" in addition to the public posts from the mods saying "no discussion about any personal relationship Blackbird may - or may NOT - have with Todd is allowed."

Great question Rock! According to my hard copy of page 1 of that thread, a couple of members replied about Todd being a site member and how could he react this way to a "fan" of the band? How dare Todd do that ( ::))!

In other words, this occurred after EOL set up the thread in a way which would allow him the sympathy he was seeking from his "community" to justify his questionable decision to leave the ('CH') album link up.

Regarding the infamous "theological" dispute, YES, Tony was the first one to bring that up when others were initially suggesting that "thin-skinned" La Torre responded in that manner simply because of the link, and nothing else. Then EAL inquired about it a little further.

You'll note that EAL did acknowledge that he could be misunderstanding the issue, which is exactly what EOL wanted in my opinion ---as long as the discussion continued in his favor. By the way, by page three, everything went south and the thread was eventually locked. "M/MI" ( :o), or so we thought, got the ball rolling on that. Thankfully!  ;D

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
Yeah, that Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.  ;D
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

unspOOLed

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
Things that make you go hmmmm.....

https://anybodylistening.net/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/anybody-listening/139730959417779

Perhaps the return you've all been waiting for is imminent!

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 25, 2017, 11:27:42 PM »
I've been waiting  :D I knew if he was gonna do it, it would be soon. I've also noticed since his discography thread completed and petered out he hasn't been on or posting over there as much. Now we see why.  ;D

If this indeed is an under construction bdr reopening, I can't wait to see how he pulls this one off. If he cannot restore his old contents first and foremost he would have to start pretty much from scratch, not to mention he opens himself up for continued ridicule especially from us if he opened from scratch after wiping out all his members/posters threads and conversations etc. Even more ridicule if he puts up a dissected edited version of all the "Safe" threads that weren't controversial or made him look like an asshole that he made vanish  C:-)

I've had a nice long rest, I'm ready to play  >:D

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
Funny thing is, no one's been clamouring for the BDR's return more than the people posting in this thread. HAHAHAHA. In fact, I'd argue we're really the only ones who will care. ;D

If he ends up reopening the BDR and calling it a different name like The 156ers, The 156 Army or The Original Warning Track Listers I will fucking HOWL. He did once say he was a proud supporter of my old Theatre Company, after all. ;)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:21 AM »
The clock just hit midnight here on the East coast, You know what that means................ it's comedy hour.

Here is an old DTF thread started by...I'll give ya three guesses, back in 2010 entitled "Complaining about Queensryche"

http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=d28c26f7f47b55d09016417a0a3b7fcb&topic=10231.0

This would be a theme I believe, well up until Todd joined and samsara's briefs got sticky, a fact that he would later authoritatively denounce  ;D fun and games  >:D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:08:03 AM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

unspOOLed

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2017, 03:44:30 AM »
He had to masturbate so vaingloriously about his site being THE AUTHORITY (now shuttered), having the largest live collection, the most audio recordings, and the biggest video collection, that I needed a shower after the first paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:19:38 AM by unspOOLed »