Author Topic: Bands with "LESS" than three original or Classic era members  (Read 397 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Bands with "LESS" than three original or Classic era members
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
For those who make a big stink about "if Scott were to in fact leave Queensryche" leaving only two original members. Those two remaining being one of the guitar tandem and the bassist. There are a plethora of bands that have less than three original or even classic era members. This I'm sure will be a long list. But for the sake of comparison, lets take a look see....

Queen: Queen has been trudging around for years with Brian May (guitar) and Rodger Taylor (drums).

Boston: Tom Scholtz (guitar) has been running around with various backing lineups for several years.

Judas Priest: Priest are now down to Ian Hill (bass) being the only original member and Halford on vocals(classic era) gives them two now with Tipton barely playing a few songs.

Yes: Yes is reduced to Alan White (drums) as the only original and Howe (guitar)from the classic era.

Foghat: Roger Earle is now the only original or classic lineup member remaining.

The Guess Who: Gary Peterson (drums) is the only remaining original or classic era member.

Steppenwolf: Barely active but still touring, John Kay being the only original or classic era member.

Grand Funk: though mainly a three piece, they also had a fourth member in Craig Frost during their most popular commercial era. They have continued for years without Mark Farner (lead vocals, wrote most of the songs, guitar) with drummer Don Brewer and bassist Mel Schacker.

Dokken: Have been pretty much Don Dokken (vocals) and Mick Brown (drums) for years now.

Styx: Styx has been pretty much just James Young (guitar, a few vocals) from the original lineup and the occasional appearance of Chuck Panozzo (bass). Since Panozzo is relegated to more of a Glenn Tipton status, I'll give them two though since Tommy Shaw (guitar, vocals) is a classic lineup member.

Kansas: Phil Ehart (drums) and Rich Williams (guitar) is all that remains of their classic/original lineup.

Slayer: In their ending years reduced to Kerry King (guitars) and Tom Arrayo (vocals, bass).

Ratt: Ratt is currently down to Stephen Pearcy (vocals) and Juan Croucier (bass) from their classic lineup.

Quiet Riot: They continue to soldier on with just Frankie Banalli (drums).

Kiss: Kiss has been going for years with Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons.

Whitesnake: They have gone on for years with just Coverdale remaining.

Foreigner: They have trudged on and done well with only Mick Jones remaining.

Sweet: has two different active incarnations, each having one original/classic member. In one case the guitarist Andy Scott, the other case the bassist and occasional vocalist Steve Priest.

Faster Pussycat: vocalist Taime Downe is all that remains.

Lynyrd Skynyrd: has been reduced to just Garry Rossington for some years now.

Three Dog Night: Tommy Hutton (vocals, one of three of their lead vocalists) and Danny Allsup (guitar) are all that remain of their original and classic era.

These are the first that came to mind. I'll have fun with this and list several more, there are many.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:25:33 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Bands with "LESS" than three original or Classic era members
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
Here are some more, lots of these are "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members" and/or sold millions of records too.

WASP: Just Blackie Lawless

Canned Heat: Fito De La Parra (drums) and Larry Taylor (bass)

Suicidal Tendencies: Just vocalist Mike Muir

The Yardbirds: continue to tour only having Jim McCartey (drums)

The Who: Continued for years touring with just Daltrey and Townshend.

Y&T: Dave Meniketti (vocals/guitar) only.

Procol Harem: have continued on with just Gary Brooker (vocals/piano)

Nazareth: Reduced to just Pete Agnew (bass)

Enuff Z'Nuff: back out there with just Chip Z'Nuff (vocals, bass).

Blue Oyster Cult: Has been reduced to just Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma for a while now.

Uriah Heep: Only Mick Box (guitar) remains since the classic years.

Wishbone Ash: Only Andy Powell has remained (vocals, guitar)

Steve Miller Band: Has been Steve alone from the classic years forever and a day now it seems.

ELO: They back out there with just Jeff Lynne and Richard Tandy (keyboards)

Rare Earth: Still touring with just Gil Bridges (sax and flute)

Santana: except for the recent classic reunion album and live dvd release of a few years ago, basically it's just been Carlos for a long while.

Molly Hatchet: No classic members just Bobby Ingram who didn't even join the band till after their popularity declined in the late eighties.

The Outlaws: continue to soldier on with Henry Paul (vocals, guitar) and Monte Yoho (drums).

38 Special: has been down to just Don Barnes (vocals) from the classic era for a while now.

King Crimson: Reduced to just Robert Fripp and in recent years Mel Collins (sax/flute) from the classic era.

99% vegan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »
and Fates Warning: Jim Matheos and Ray Alder  :)

ted262

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »

Ray's not an original member....

99% vegan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:34 AM »

Ray's not an original member....

classic era member  :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:06:31 AM »
I recently got a concert notification for shows in the area and we can Humble Pie to this list. It shows them playing an upcoming date in my area, I didn't know they were still active. Upon researching it and checking their website, I see they are another band like Iron Butterfly that continues with the blessing of their former drummer/founding member but the current lineup contains no original, classic or even significant members of the band.  ::)

This page taken from their website explains the current configuration of the band.
https://www.humblepieband.com/biography

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
Yes- Bruford manned the drum throne through Close To The Edge.  White joined for that tour after Bruford bailed out on Yes to join King Crimson.  He had three days to learn the setlist before Yes hit the road.  So Bruford original and part of classic era, White classic era and longest consecutive member of Yes.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
He's alive  ;D where the hell have you been, you get lost?  8) Thought you got abducted at a concert over there lol.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 02:51:39 AM »
Yeah really, thought something happened to ya Hope all is well Radar.

Oh wow, I just went back and looked at what I wrote under Yes, as a big Bruford fan that was a major error on my behalf listing him as an original member. He too is just a classic era member. One of only two remaining Correct.

The other version of Yes (ARW) consisting of the original singer, and two classic era members (yes I would consider Rabin a classic era member, since they basically had two classic era's of commercial viability) In my opinion they get the nod as the most authentic version since Squire is no longer with us. 

99% vegan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »
No Eddie Jackson = No QR  8) They will be better off without SR