Author Topic: Sound Off: What's bugging You Currently...or random thoughts on current events?  (Read 3823 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
I'll add one though. As were seeing with the Zeppelin re-Re-RE-masters albums and sets. Does anybody really keep shelling out to buy the same recordings over and over again every time  a band does yet another re-master of albums. I've bought a handful strictly for the bonus tracks (could care less about the re-master) If the original production was worth listening to for umpteen years, I really don't see the need to spend on it again in an effort to hear it differently  ::) I never got that whole thing. But some people will buy a bands entire discography three or four times over for these stupid re-masters.
Yeah, I'm an old crab too Rock. It's cool  ;D
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
Black Sabbath Ozzy era reissues remasters re-how much money can Ozzy's spouse milk off their carcass.  I'm waiting for her to pull the rerecorded drums on the Bill Ward parts like she did with the bass and drums in 2002 on the Blizzard of Ozz albums.  How about the Martin era remasters?  I wanna hear Forbidden remastered, there are some awesome riffs on that album. 

I've seen a few Germans waiting for bands after shows so they can get their Mongolian only release cd single with 4 seconds of extra open mic at the end of the song catching the producer coughing autographed to add to their collection.  That's who buys all those remasters.  I did a meet and greet with Queensryche in 2016 and their was a Japanese woman there that had tix for the whole European tour run and paid for meet and greets at each one.  Scott told me she had items to be autographed every show, different items each time.  Didnt seem like she was someone who'd be hawing it all on EBay.  Kinda like Gene Simmons Vault thing. it's cold war one upmanship among collectors, who has the most vinyl, cassettes, 8 tracks, CD's. DAT, DVD, Blu Ray, VHS, Beta releases of a band wins. 

I got one that's annoying me the last few years, the obligatory band lines up with back to audience to get the roadie behind the drum kit to take the crowd pic.  It was cool when just a few bands did it but now its in the playbook like the "lets go stand behind the amp for a minute before we go out and play two more songs".  That's just silly in some of the really small clubs. 

And one more non music related:

Can Hollywood please stop rebooting old TV shows and movies?  It was one thing with taking the premise of an older show and recasting it and taking it in another direction but now their bringing back the original cast and same sets.  Just make it stop.  Yes I know I don't have to watch it but I still catch the spots advertising them. 

Eye9

• View Profile
This is good to see, F**k them red light camera's  >:D Especially New Jersey's position on them (the police state, go figure)  8)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/states-and-cities-are-making-a-u-turn-on-despised-red-light-and-speed-cameras/ar-BBNFyuI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnhomepage

Rockox

• View Profile
Hereís what gotten my goat as of late. A local band in Winnipeg was playing a venue a few weeks ago and played a song called ďNo Means Yes.Ē Some members of the audience and staff were triggered by the lyrics and the venue kicked the band off the stage and cut their set early. The venue has a list of house rules that they say the band violated with this song, which the venue claimed condoned sexual violence against women.

The band apologized on their Facebook page, but also said the song is actually about childhood trauma and sexual misconduct, and doesnít condone violence against women. The band has said theyíll never play the song live again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/summer-dwellers-good-will-1.4781973

Holy shit where to begin. I understand that the venue has a set of ďsafe space policy and zero toleranceĒ house rules to make their patrons feel safe, and thatís fine. But when people are getting offended enough by misinterpreted lyrics that the band gets kicked off the stage, thatís not cool. Is that where weíre at now? If you donít like something, rather than leave a venue or, god forbid, attempt to understand what the artist is saying through their art, the artist that you're offended by is removed from the venue? Whatís next, demanding an offensive painting or picture gets taken down at a local art gallery? Demanding an offensive book is removed from a book store or library?

As a musician, a songwriter and a performer, this just makes me angry. Artists shouldnít have to compromise their art for people who might get easily offended. Songwriting is often therapeutic and cathartic, sometimes itís autobiographical, sometimes itís storytelling. Besides that, when has rock ní roll been safe?

Some people have suggested that the band should have given a bit of context to the song before they played it, but as a performer, how ridiculous is it to have to explain a songís meaning before itís played? Artists shouldnít have to explain their art; thatís not their job. Never mind that, as an audience member, I would be insulted if every other song is explained to me before I hear it. I was at a show once where the performer broke down the lyrics and overexplained the whole song before it was performed and it felt like I was in a storytellerís songwriting workshop.

Also, the venue has since deleted the slanderous Instagram post where they claimed the band performed a song that condoned sexual violence against women (so clearly they know they fucked up), but as of this date they have yet to publicly apologize to the band. Fucking cowards.

Iíve been pretty annoyed at this easily-offended, self-righteous age for a while now, but man, I think this takes the cake.
The problem is that you are correct.

Eye9

• View Profile
I hear ya brother, on another front.

I hope this mass of people infiltrating the border, "Illegally" I might add once they are permitted to do so in due time, destroy California and especially the Hollywood elitist outspoken bunch's prized real estate assets. Ya get what ya vote for, couldn't happen to a nicer place and bunch as far I'm concerned. Where's the buses to take them to Hollywood and the gated mansion community's? I'll donate to that fucking cause  >:D This shit is gonna end bad and ugly no matter how you slice it. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/violence-breaks-out-as-first-wave-of-migrant-caravan-arrives-in-tijuana-mexico/ar-BBPKy3D?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=msnhomepage#image=BBPKQ1W|15

Rockox

• View Profile
I'm no fan of hockey (and yet I'm Canadian?) but this recent story about an advocacy group called Black Space Winnipeg that thinks the "whiteout parties" for the Winnipeg Jets are racist is just ridiculous.

Thankfully, I threw the story to Chris and Neeley at the CMS and they totally made fun of the whole thing. So I feel a bit better.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2pnAIrvNU
The problem is that you are correct.