Author Topic: Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)  (Read 6055 times)

Dream Evil

Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
Now that we have two Very Good Queensryche albums with the current lineup. Interesting to see where they fall in the rankings. Rank all the Queensryche studio albums in order best to worst and for a bonus, if you'd like, you can rank the live releases best to worst. I will need some time to think about my list, but thought this would be cool to do.

Dream Evil

Re: Rank Queensryche's Albums In Order (best to worst)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
Ok here goes.

1) Operation Mindcrime
2) Rage For Order
3) The Warning
4) Condition Human
5) Empire
6) Promised Land
7) Queensryche 2013
8) Tribe
9) Hear In The Now Frontier
10) Q2K
11) Operation Mindcrime 2
12) American Soldier
13) Take Cover
14) Dedicated To Chaos

I didn't consider the debut EP because it is a smaller sampling and not fair to compare it to full releases. Had I considered it, I would probably have put it between Tribe and HITNF.   

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
1. Operation Mindcrime
2. Promised Land
3. The Warning
4. Condition Human
5. Rage for Order
6. Empire
7. Queensryche 2013
8. Hear in the Now Frontier
9. Dedicated to Chaos
10. Q2K
11. Tribe
12. American Soldier
13. Operation Mindcrime 2.

I've never really paid any attention to Take Cover, and it remains the only album of theirs I've never purchased, so no ranking for it. There is a MASSIVE gulf between the S/T and Hear in the Now Frontier. Honestly, I never listen to anything below that gap. I put DtC higher than most people will, I bet. It's my guilty pleasure. Sure there is some absolute drec on there, but some of it shows real promise, and honestly I can't make myself hate Wot We Do. It's just too dumb and fun.

And honestly, I really consider O:MC and PL tied for first, The Warning is second, and then RfO and CH are tied for third. Those 5 albums, I swear, every single one of them is probably in my top 30 of all time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:14:15 AM by HolyDiver »
What's becoming of me?

Eye9

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
1) Operation Mindcrime
    Rage for order
That is a tie.
2) Warning
3) Condition Human
4) Empire
5) S/T
6) Promised Land
7) Tribe
8) HITNF
9) Q2K
Then we get to the last gasps
10) Take cover
      American Soldier
      Mindcrime 2
      DTC
These three all have their moments but collectively do not get much play from me.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm going to forego my list, after HD's comments on DTC, I'm going to listen to that album all the way through, something I've never done. I'll have to do it online because I've never bought that one. To give it a fair shake before I make my list.  8)
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »
That was PAINFUL HD. I will buy the record, simply because I found a couple songs I enjoyed. I'll break down my thoughts on the record in the dedicated To Chaos thread, I believe it's still on here, unless I deleted it due to lack of activity. None the less it was not enough to change my placing of the record in last place. I can't believe you put that album above Tribe, but to each their own lol. Anyway.

My placing of these albums seems to change over time, but for now they sit as follows.

1) Operation Mindcrime (taken as a whole, complete piece of music I guess I have to go here)
2) Promised Land (this tour had a lasting effect, this is a deep record, I love it)
3) Condition Human (largely because I love every song on this album)
4) Rage For Order (a few mis steps is all that keeps this from ranking higher)
5) Warning (my number 5, 6 and 7 are all very close and could easily flip flop around in order. this album has 6 great songs, I place it first because it was one of my early favorites as a metal head)
6) Empire (this too has 6 great songs, it contains more filler than Warning, but was an album I overall loved)
7) Queensryche 2013 (this one just misses as I count 5 great songs. Had they taken a little more time and added a couple songs and fleshed out a few of the ones already on here this could have been higher)
8) Tribe ( I count 5 great songs on this one, but a few from S/T clearly beat them out).
9) Q2K ( I put this above HITNF based on the strength of The Right Side Of My Mind, which I love. I count maybe 4 great songs on this one)
10) Hear In The Now Frontier ( I count about 4 great songs here as well)
11) Operation Mindcrime 2 ( I count 4 great songs here)
12) American Soldier (this one's tough, I give it a slight edge over Take Cover, because I did like a few songs on take Cover most notably Welcome To The Machine, and Bullet The Blue Sky, but that shouldn't count because it was live and I like Home Again. I count 3 good ones on this record)
13) Take Cover (hit and miss, a few good ones)
14) Dedicated To Chaos ( I like At The Edge, Broken, Big Noize and Get Started, the good ones are just good, the bad ones are Really bad)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
I'll give it a shot from bottom to top using the five-star rating system:

15. 'Dedicated To Chaos' (I think this ranking speaks for itself. Awful. 1/2 star. Enough said.)

14. 'Take Cover' (I love 'Bullet The Blue Sky', and the rest are...meh. One star.)

13. 'Q2K' (A few shining moments, particularly 'Falling Down', 'Liquid Sky', and 'The Right Side Of My Mind'. The rest are mediocre at best. Two stars.)

12. 'American Soldier' (Like I've said previously, I grew to appreciate this album a LITTLE more a year after release after seeing the embarrassing Caberet tour in 2010. 'A Dead Man's Words', 'Middle Of Hell', and 'The Voice' are the standouts for me. Two stars.)

11. 'Tribe' (The best part about this album is 'Open'. That said, I also like 'Blood' a lot as well. The latter is unquestionably some of Geoff's most scathing commentary ever in the band's history. It's too bad they never played it live. Two stars.)

10. 'Hear In The Now Frontier' (The creative well ran dry for the original lineup by this point, however, songs like 'Some People Fly', 'Sign Of The Times', 'Hit The Black', and 'spOOL' still hold up today. 2.5 stars.)

9. 'Operation: Mindcrime II' (As a "sequel" to the REAL 'Operation: Mindcrime' it's a big fat ZERO! That said, I'll happily give credit to Mike Stone for putting his stamp on the album which arguably made it better to my ears. To this day Stone does NOT get the respect he deserves from fans, media, OR the band in my opinion. Which I find shameful. 'Murderer?', 'The Hands', and 'Hostage' are the standout tracks by far. On its own merits, I give 'O:M II' three stars.)

8. 'Eponymous 2013' (Short in length and right to the point. Which is what Queensryche needed at the time. 'Where Dreams Go To Die' is the big winner here easily, followed by 'Spore' and 'In This Light'. A solid album, but not a great one. Three stars.)

7. 'Condition Human' (The next logical step for Queensryche. I'd say 'Guardian' and 'Eye 9' hit the bulls-eye while 'Toxic Remedy', 'Hourglass', and 'Hellfire' hold their own as well. In some ways, it picks up where '2013' left off with a few twists here and there. Again, a solid album from a solid lineup. Three stars.)

6. 'The Warning' (The first Queensryche album I ever bought in the summer of 1985. In my opinion, the current lineup has more in common with this album than anything else from the original lineup. 'Roads To Madness' remains the greatest song on here. 'En Force' is another one. Three stars.)

5. 'EP' (Yes, I'm counting this because this is EXACTLY who they were at that time. They wore their British hard rock influences on their sleeves. What it lacks in originality it compensates in youthful energy, not unlike the first Rush album in my opinion. All four tracks are killer. I say between 3.5 and four stars. Tough one.

4. 'Empire' (Some great tracks and some weak tracks, but it was admirable that the band wanted to keep evolving in sound. My favorites are the title track, 'Another Rainy Night', and 'Della Brown'. 3.5 stars.)

3. 'Promised Land' (If Queensryche have a true "prog" album in the catalog, it's this one without question. Sonically, musically, and lyrically everything flows naturally. 'Lady Jane', 'Dis Con Nec Ted', 'I Am I', and the title track really define this album. Also, I think 'Real World' should have been included on the original release. Bad move indeed. 'Promised Land' remains the LOST classic from Queensryche. Four stars.

2. 'Rage For Order' (The album where Queensryche TRULY became Queensryche, finding a sound that was all theirs. Not to mention it was a LITTLE ahead of its time creatively. And leagues beyond 'The Warning'. A very CLOSE second in the catalog. Five stars.)

1. 'Operation: Mindcrime' (The greatest hard rock record ever recorded, and a touchstone of Gen X. Five stars.)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:22:28 AM by Operation:Queensr˙che »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
That was PAINFUL HD. I will buy the record, simply because I found a couple songs I enjoyed. I'll break down my thoughts on the record in the dedicated To Chaos thread, I believe it's still on here, unless I deleted it due to lack of activity. None the less it was not enough to change my placing of the record in last place. I can't believe you put that album above Tribe, but to each their own lol. Anyway.

My placing of these albums seems to change over time, but for now they sit as follows.

1) Operation Mindcrime (taken as a whole, complete piece of music I guess I have to go here)
2) Promised Land (this tour had a lasting effect, this is a deep record, I love it)
3) Condition Human (largely because I love every song on this album)
4) Rage For Order (a few mis steps is all that keeps this from ranking higher)
5) Warning (my number 5, 6 and 7 are all very close and could easily flip flop around in order. this album has 6 great songs, I place it first because it was one of my early favorites as a metal head)
6) Empire (this too has 6 great songs, it contains more filler than Warning, but was an album I overall loved)
7) Queensryche 2013 (this one just misses as I count 5 great songs. Had they taken a little more time and added a couple songs and fleshed out a few of the ones already on here this could have been higher)
8) Tribe ( I count 5 great songs on this one, but a few from S/T clearly beat them out).
9) Q2K ( I put this above HITNF based on the strength of The Right Side Of My Mind, which I love. I count maybe 4 great songs on this one)
10) Hear In The Now Frontier ( I count about 4 great songs here as well)
11) Operation Mindcrime 2 ( I count 4 great songs here)
12) American Soldier (this one's tough, I give it a slight edge over Take Cover, because I did like a few songs on take Cover most notably Welcome To The Machine, and Bullet The Blue Sky, but that shouldn't count because it was live and I like Home Again. I count 3 good ones on this record)
13) Take Cover (hit and miss, a few good ones)
14) Dedicated To Chaos ( I like At The Edge, Broken, Big Noize and Get Started, the good ones are just good, the bad ones are Really bad)

Looking back over my list here, since we're talking about a few of these records presently. I'd have to stand by this account

I Remember Cow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
Alright I'm doin it

Subject to change, but probably not:

17   Operation Mindcrime 2
I just got a vinyl copy, it's really quite nice! I don't see a thread for this album, maybe I missed it. I kind of loved it at first, and now I rank it dead last. I have a bias though, that makes me conspiracy-theory-crazy kinda, with my belief that Nikki killed Mary and so this story makes no sense. Plus it's not much of a story. Plus it's some of the more meanderingly mindless music they've ever done IMO and that's saying something. Still, you can tap your feet to it.

16   Take Cover
Hard to decide whether to include this because you know, they didn't write this stuff. Although there's some pretty original stuff in Bullet the Blue Sky! I like it fine, it's not Tate's strongest vocals and that's a shame if you're trying to show your stuff on other people's famous songs. Kind of a fun album though, I enjoy it.

15   Frequency Unknown
Well what can you say about it? Surprisingly rocking. Emotional lyrics, you can't help but think of the band drama. I count it because DTC counts lol. I almost count Kings & Thieves because hell, it was made by the same people. Album cover and title really though. I mean really.

14   Dedicated to Chaos
I have the deluxe CD and picked up a sealed double vinyl copy (which doesn't have the extra four songs wtf?) that I've never even opened. I kind of like this album, I don't know. It's got some guts and makes you hate it, but I think it's got more going for it than people are willing to allow for. Really isn't *that* much worse than QR records from the '00s. I guess I find this album interesting and I think it gets a little over-bashed.

13   Hear in the Now Frontier
After all these years I still can't put my finger on why this album is such a bummer. I don't dig the opening song much more than I did in 1997. The next few songs are kind of great, to me, and then it's just a whole lot of medium. ? I wish for a vinyl edition that breaks up the songs into chunks of album sides. I have a tape deck in the car and am considering grabbing a copy of this on ebay. The tape's at least broken into two parts.

12   Condition Human
Really wanted to love this album but I'm hot & cold on it. I have the vinyl and don't dig the artwork. Especially the gatefold layout, come on. Cannot read the lyrics for squat. The credits on the inner sleeve are gynormous. Music's pretty good, but something challenging-ly weird about how these guys write, that's a different kind of weird than what GT does.

11   Queensryche 2013
Ditto the above, except this record is more concise with an urgency that's exciting. But they're similar for me. Slightly prefer the '13 album, and dig that art.

10   American Soldier
Some of these are legit great songs: Home comes to mind. Goosebumps. Kind of a great concept, but the album gets a little boring musically at times. I would guess that these could have been slightly shorter songs and we'd have a pretty great record.

9   Tribe
This album gets points for authenticity, w/ some Chris DeGarmo in there, and some really good tracks, some great moments. I also think there are a couple weak ones I struggle to get into, namely the last three songs. But I really like the title track and the opening stretch of tunes. Sounds like the band too, none of this Geoff's friends stuff with the weird harmonies.

8   Q2K
While this is maybe the first like, Geoff and his friends as QR project, it's a pretty good one. I tend to go for this one a lot. I appreciate its representation on Live Evolution so that helps I think. Some nice sounding guitar and vocal ideas throughout, while not having particularly good or bad songs.

7   The Verdict
A big improvement songs-wise. I can listen to this album a bit more easily than the previous two Todd led efforts. I still don't think either faction can conjure magically great songs like they seemed to do constantly in the heyday, but this feels like real progress. I've bought it twice (once on vinyl, once for the bonus CD) and I've spun it about a hundred times.

6   Promised Land
Kind of a sad and poor man's Empire, to me. Have a nice vinyl copy though. Actually have the trifecta, cuz I have the CD and recently grabbed a cassette copy. I skipped this one and HITNF for years and caught up later on ebay. I heard it in my buddy's college dorm room and was just bummed out and went away from QR for a long time. Probably til Q2K or Live Evolution.

5   Empire
Undeniably good record. Was so into everything before it that I could never quite see any more than a commercialized diluted version of the band I loved. 30 years later, I still think it's not as good as them 80s records. But now it's finding a new home in my brain that's part nostalgia, part appreciation for its place in the discog. It was the beginning of so much change, and had a the beginnings of what put me off for a long time, until I could find new ways to appreciate their work.

4   Queensryche 1983
I can't help but count this one as an album. In my head Warning is the second album, Rage third, Mindcrime fourth etc. I am currently waiting on ebay (I've been on a real binge, not proud lol) to send me the edition w/ Prophecy as the only bonus track. Five tunes from way early on, that are not on other albums. I love every track. Unlike the 13 or so albums above, I just straight up dig this record, no disclaimers.

3   Rage for Order
Alternates often with Warning & Mindcrime for the 1, 2 & 3 spots in my mind. f*&K!ng G**@MMN greatest album. Thriller my ass. So wild and passionate and fun, and edgy. Some of their coolest tunes, "I Will Remember" and "The Whisper" especially, for me.

2   The Warning
Same thing, OMG. It took a while for this one to reach the same status as Rage and Mindcrime, but one day it just struck me that it's right the F up there. Lyrics are an obstacle on this one because the articulation is so messed up. But now you can just ask the internet. http://www.darklyrics.com/q/queensryche.html Every song is really strong, vocals out of this world.

1   Operation Mindcrime
Currently edging the other two out of the three way tie. Sometimes I think it's been overblown into something bigger in people's heads than it is, but then it's like the Beatles - you still get blown away after assuming it's overblown. It's kind of not; it's a pretty special record. I can't imagine how it came together. Tells the story so simple and clear, and the songs are just fantastic; great melodies, riffs. Well written harmonies and lyrics are so poetic and cool. I find that to be true of all the 80s albums, but this one has added dimension. And I might as well say again, it's great when you view it thru the lens of Nikki realizing he killed her at the very end of it all. Just the fact that it's an ambiguously ended murder mystery is cool in and of itself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:23:17 AM by I Remember Cow »

Mahi01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 03:51:13 AM »
Roku is a streaming device, which is a reasonable roku activation and other Set-up Box. Roku is a bundle of amusement, where client can stream for boundless motion appears, web arrangement, news, animation and a lot more projects.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
I give ya credit where due, innovative marketing strategy. But two marketing plugs will be plenty thank you. I'll leave those up for those that may have interest. But that two strikes on the spam scale, one more strike and Your OUTTA HERE, as Harry Kalas woulda said   8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »
Roku is a streaming device, which is a reasonable roku activation and other Set-up Box. Roku is a bundle of amusement, where client can stream for boundless motion appears, web arrangement, news, animation and a lot more projects.

I warned ya. I deleted your barrage of spam posts and your banned from future posting on here.