Author Topic: Iron Butterfly  (Read 6689 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Butterfly
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »
Sad to hear, Larry was cool.

Your link didn't post up of Larry's InnaGaddadaVida live.

Don't remember if I met him or not. I know I met Lee, Ron, Doug, Erik Barnett, Mike Pinera, Derek Hilliard, and Charlie Marinkovich. Who all did we meet in Baltimore that we were shootin the shit with at the bar after the show?
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
That night we were with Eric Barnett,Lee Dorman,Ron Bushy,Charlie Marinkovich
and Martin Gerschwitz(formerly keyboardist for Eric Burdon) it was a good time.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »
That last one was good.

Here is that one performed live from 1967
Evil Temptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeeFdXvYJhA

And a live version of In a Gadda Da Vida
Live Sweden 1/24/1971 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAnLHdr5Y74

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
The Band that remains and calls itself Iron Butterfly will be at Sellersville Theatre
wednesday may 10 2017.  No original members in band however Eric Barnett has
played with IB over 10 years off and on and this band plays well and performs
many IB songs that haven't been heard in years live. I saw them last year and the
show was good. They don't play InnaGaddaDaVida as well as I have heard it performed in the past then again this isn't Doug Ingle Eric Braun Lee Dorman and
Ron Bushy it is a band of professional musicians keeping their music alive.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »
The Band that remains and calls itself Iron Butterfly will be at Sellersville Theatre
many IB songs that haven't been heard in years live. I saw them last year and the
show was good.

They don't play InnaGaddaDaVida as well as I have heard it performed in the past then again this isn't Doug Ingle Eric Braun Lee Dorman and

Personally, I find it unconscionable when a group of hacks get together and ca$h in on a band's name, not to mention without any original members involved. Frankly, this version of "Iron Butterfly" should be billed as a tribute band ( :-[). Because that's exactly what it is.

In my opinion, what they're doing isn't "keeping their music alive". I consider that burying the band's legacy. That's nothing less than disgraceful. Be that as it may, it's good to hear that you still enjoy it 'IGDV'... regardless of my viewpoint. Respect.  8)

P.S. Out of curiosity 'IGDV' did you ever get to see the original Iron Butterfly by chance?  :)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
I have met most of them on many occassions and saw them many times.
Most of the originals are dead The only living members are Doug Ingle who wrote and sang a majority of the early songs who stopped playing in 1996 except a rare one off when Ron and Lee were still in band. Lee died and Ron has stage 4 throat cancer so really
unless Doug were to decide to do this again what you see is what you get. Later IB
member Mike Pinera is still alive and toured for years with classic rock allstars who I have seen a few times and did play a few IB songs but that band disbanded 
Dennis Noda died a few years back they carried on and later Jerry Corbetta died so at that point
peter rivera(hoolrebeke) and Mike Pinera shut down. They both do minor solo shows occassionally. One final point Eric Barnett was lead guitarist for IB for over 10 years
and did a credible job.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
The original Iron Butterfly was Doug Ingle Jerry Penrod Danny Weiss and Ron Bushy
and Darryl Deloach they did have a couple of other members before this lineup But this lineup recorded their first album then Weiss Penrod and Deloach left and were replaced by Lee Dorman and Erik Braun who recorded 2 albums then braun left and Mike Pinera and
Larry El Rhino Rheinhardt joined amd after 1 album they disbanded until later when
Eric Braun put 2 different lineups together for 2 later albums.  So to answer your question I never saw the original IB lineup. I have seen Doug Ingle Lee Dorman Ron Bushy Mike Pinera and a lot of the later day players including Eric Barnett Larry West(now deceased) Charlie Marinkovich Martin Gerschwitz Derek Hilland Ray Weston and the current lineup.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »
I totally get what your saying OQ and in most cases I would certainly agree with you. That this type of current incarnation is nothing more than a tribute band and disgraceful and should absolutely be billed as a tribute band. Even if it has the blessing (which it does) of the two main surviving members who are still alive.

I give these guys a pass, at least for now, simply because Ron Bushy (founding member, drummer, and he of the infamous In A Gadda Da Vida drum solo) was initially on board to still be a part of the bands touring lineup but due to deteriorating health as IGDV has stated he has had to stay on a continued hiatus and it is probably doubtful that he will ever be able to return unfortunately as his health situation seems to be pretty dire.
  Then it was originally announced when the band started back up following some time off after Lee Dorman (classic lineup bassist) passing away that Mike Pinera (guitar /vocals) who was a member back in the later part of the bands heyday along with founding keyboardist Doug Ingle's son were originally going to be involved but that somehow didn't pan out, which led to the band being led by former later day guitarist (and a damn good one) Erik Barnett taking the lead.

So it's an unfortunate situation, but if going forward no other main members from the bands heyday are to be included in the lineup. I think they should rightfully bill themselves as a tribute band following this years tour dates. I agree.

I am glad that I can however still have the opportunity to see even this lineup because this band has some awesome material that deserves to be heard and nobody else is playing it. This band has also had a limited amount of recorded material since the mid seventies and had a slew of personnel changes over the years. Due to all these circumstances I give them a little leeway. But by comparison I'm totally on board in most cases with the Tribute band thing.
Bobby Blotzer isn't Ratt
Frankie Banali isn't Quiet Riot etc.   

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
show was good. They don't play InnaGaddaDaVida as well as I have heard it performed in the past then again this isn't Doug Ingle Eric Braun Lee Dorman and

I got an email for concert listings from the Sellersville Theatre earlier this week, and I happened to look to see when that concert was cause I knew it was this week, and it wasn't listed in the upcoming events section. Upon looking further in their show listings, I see that the show was postponed, and it appears their show at B.B. Kings Blues Club for Monday night was also postponed. not sure if this is lackluster ticket sales or what, they also have a show listed with Firefall in Pawling NY for Sunday night. The B.B. King's show and Sellersville show have been taken off the tour dates page on their website, but the Pawling show is still listed. 

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »
Those 2 shows were postponed they will
Be made up at a later date I am not sure
Why

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Make up date at Sellersville is August 16

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
I went to see Iron Butterfly tonight at Sellersville Theater.
I talked to Eric Barnett prior to the show and he said Ron Bushy
was doing ok.  I was also surprised to see Keyboardist and vocalist
Martin Gerschwitz was back with the band. They played Iron Butterfly Theme,
Soul Experience,Are You happy, Stone Believer, In the Time of Our Lives,
Filled With Fear, Butterfly Bleu, Flowers and Beads, Real Flight and IN A Gadda
Da Vida.  Good Show

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
In 1996 Robert Tepper released an album No Rest For The Wounded Heart.
The Backing band was made up of Former Iron Butterfly Members:
Guitar Larry El Rhino Reinhardt
Bass Lee Dorman
Keyboards Derrek Hilland
Drummer Kenny Suarez

That album didn't sell had one rocking song on it called We Will Rise

He did release this song later:

Robert Tepper - No Easy Way out   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXaPE6gklI