Author Topic: PROGRESSIVE Rock (Diamonds in the rough)  (Read 4181 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
PROGRESSIVE Rock (Diamonds in the rough)
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
Might as well do this one too. Progressive rock diamonds in the rough. Progressive rock varies from person to person. My mindset views Progressive Rock in the traditional sense to mean Genesis, YES, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, ELO, Pink Floyd, Marillion so forth and so on. Some extend it beyond that realm and even into the metal area to include Queensryche, Dream Theatre, Fates Warning etc. So this thread will be all inclusive, If you think it is progressive then it is fair game and we can also discuss the parameters of just what Progressive rock is and/or means to you in here as a side topic within this thread. The whole Genre thing is very subjective, but it helps I guess zero in on certain type music and bands to compartmentalize different styles.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:44:22 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: PROGRESSIVE Rock (Diamonds in the rough)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
I'll start this one off with two Pink Floyd greats from the early years.

Embryo and Fearless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaprUQnS3DA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgQuj8v2gg

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
Yeah Progressive Rock is very subjective as to what classifies

I find alot of the early prog rock to be a grind to listen to.  Early Pink Floyd w/ Sid and Genesis w/ Peter just flies over my head.  I don't get it at all and just find it too weird and out there.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Along those same lines. My favorite Moody Blues song has to be this one. Very Haunting song.

Melancholy Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvnch1FPXeU

From the same era......  King Crimson Epitaph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLHScgTJ9eQ

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
Yeah Progressive Rock is very subjective as to what classifies

I find alot of the early prog rock to be a grind to listen to.  Early Pink Floyd w/ Sid and Genesis w/ Peter just flies over my head.  I don't get it at all and just find it too weird and out there.

It was supposed to be lol, It was all formulated on extended jams, multi instrumentalists, long strange trips, music and sound interludes, theatrics. Those that dig it are die hard staunch defenders of it and those that didn't get into it usually despise it. It's like any other form of music. orchestral, Punk, New Wave, Country, Metal. Your either a fan or your not.  8)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
Couple good ones from Styx:

Suite Madam Blue
  &
Crystal Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXYiIDTPDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuQbF9suqA

GREAT BAND

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
Nice Styx picks. Suite Madame Blue is one of my favourite tunes ever.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

BigMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
Time to add a German prog band that kind of sounded TOO MUCH like ELP at times but still rocks...Triumvirat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAjZdmBBFI

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »
I went back and bought "illusions on a double dimple" and "spartacus" within the last year or so. Still a good listen, very ELP clone like but definitely some good stuff.

I also bought two Starcastle albums, they if you remember were the major YES clone back in the 70's. They sound exactly like YES, The vocals and harmonies are right on the money. If you played that Starcastle album with the castle on the cover for most people and told them it was YES, they'd never know the difference. 

Operation:Queensrˇche

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
One thing I will say about prog rock: I think it's definitely more of a European form of music. Overall, I think the British bands got it right, while American bands missed the mark to a certain extent. Having said that, the history of prog is more interesting to me than the music in some ways. I prefer progressive elements rather than "full-on" prog, if that makes sense ( ???)!

I think it's fair to say that bands like Styx and Kansas were aiming for a more "commercial" sound moreso than bands like King Crimson and Gentle Giant, for example. That's probably why I don't consider the former two "prog", at least in the "purist" sense. Be that as it may, it is definitely subjective without question. Interesting comments everybody.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • W÷R Party
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
How 'bout SAGA?

I know some refer to them as "Poor Man's RUSH", they had some uniqueness in their own right, and did some killer songs with some killer chops.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »
How 'bout SAGA?

I know some refer to them as "Poor Man's RUSH", they had some uniqueness in their own right, and did some killer songs with some killer chops.

Big SAGA fan.  This band is very underrated and "Wind Him Up" and "On the Loose" are classics.  They never became too mainstream, but have a very cool sound.  Killer songs is right.

BigMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
I think the difference between English/European bands and American that did prog rock back in the day was the Europeans drew more on classical and jazz as the backbone whereas American bands used a bluesy theme at first but later with bands like Styx ,Kansas and also Starcastle they started adding those classical and jazz themes and also were influenced by bands like Yes, ELP and others. I appreciated more classical music because of listening to ELP and others but when I was young I didn't care for the orginials or where it came from.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »
Can't provide links as confined to phone right now but so far as modern progrock goes, am very partial to Threshold and think both their last records with Wilson back at the mic as strong as anything they've done.

Also Redemption are hugely overlooked yet have just released DAMAGED featuring Marty Friedman as lead single for their forthcoming record The Art Of Loss (anyone knowing the health setbacks this band have had to, and continue to endure know there will be some heavy lyrics on then back of that title :-\) but with guest musicians such as Friedman and Ray Alder of Fates Warning still fronting the band for his 5th record, perhaps now is the time for them \m/

Get well Bernie.