Author Topic: Hair Metal Classics (diamonds in the rough)  (Read 14779 times)

RTM

• View Profile
Re: Hair Metal Classics (diamonds in the rough)
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
Ahhhh how did I miss the Badlands chatter, quite literally my favorite band ever (crazy I know).
Also I thought I had Badlands on Cd, only did on cassette, guess I'll be purchasing that soon too  8)
That will be tough, they've been out of print for a long time. The rumor is that the label refuses to release the record, or the rights to the record, out of respect to families of the women that Ray was... well you get the idea. Who knows if that's true, but Jake and Greg actually talked about it briefly when they were on Trunk's show.

As far as I know, Wardy hit the nail on the head regarding the breakup. Jake loved the blues rock roots of the band and wanted to push that experiment further. Ray wanted to get a bit more commercial with the band and try to write some hits. Badlands sold somewhere around 300k and Voodoo Higheay did about 1/3 of that if memory serves. The writing was on the wall, Jake and Greg couldn't care less while Ray wanted to keep the band commercialy viable.

They actually broke up and had some horrible things to say about each other in Kerrang magazine, then reformed for a few one off shows eventually getting together to record the Dusk demo (which is F'n phenominal for a demo).

Here's a live clip from one of those post breakup shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KduRcE0g2xU

You can feel the tension in the air, and the band is absolutely on fire. Probably the best live guitar I've ever heard from Jake.

Anyway.... I love Badlands if you can't tell. I also thought Ray did a great job in Sabbath.

Edit: If you want to get realllly far down the Badlands/Ray rabbit hole, here is a completely random youtube video with only a few hundred hits. It's Ray messing around with some kids singing an AC/DC cover. To me it's a great display of just how powerful and gritty his voice was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfBLOe2OAk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:05:51 PM by RTM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 10:11:44 PM »
That sucks, I guess if I can locate the Badlands stuff, I'll be forking out some  decent coin then to obtain those.

Out of print out of respect to women that ray??? What did Ray do? I never heard or was aware of anything with Ray.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
Another one from the dying end of the scene, this has since been unfairly panned since but while not as hard hitting as others, think at the time it was a class record full of great material and performances.  And was a always a sucker for 'big' intros and this one delivered in spades! 8)

From the self titled debut Beggars & Thieves - No More Broken Dreams  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeqiMJTczw

Who was in that Beggars and Thieves band?

Also I thought I had Badlands on Cd, only did on cassette, guess I'll be purchasing that soon too  8)

They were from New York, Louie Merlino on lead vocals, Ron Mancuso guitars and Phil Soussan on bass.  Drums were Bobby Borg...  They recorded 3 albums initially but that debut was IMO far superior.  They came back some years later with a very cool studio record, albeit more modern, We Are The Broken Hearted.

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »
That sucks, I guess if I can locate the Badlands stuff, I'll be forking out some  decent coin then to obtain those.

Out of print out of respect to women that ray??? What did Ray do? I never heard or was aware of anything with Ray.

There are people who think Ray was aware of his illness (AIDS) but continued to sleep with women until the end. I don't have any knowledge or opinion on the situation but ya, some people feel that way.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:42:00 AM by RTM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
oh ok that clears things up some. Hell, I didn't even know that he died of AIDS, I obviously knew he died, but I always thought he died in a car accident or something. I never knew that much about him. I'll have to read his wiki page and look up some bio on him.

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 03:43:29 AM »
oh ok that clears things up some. Hell, I didn't even know that he died of AIDS, I obviously knew he died, but I always thought he died in a car accident or something. I never knew that much about him. I'll have to read his wiki page and look up some bio on him.

:( https://youtu.be/R0xRC_vusQ0?t=1h33m54s
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:47:39 AM by RTM »

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
I bought a new copy of Badlands debut about six years ago; I guess it was re-released at the time.

I just checked amazon- the debut is going for $90 new and $30 used.  Hopefully it will be reissued again.

As far as the Tony Martin era goes, the Headless Cross album is my favorite.  The title track, When Death Calls, Devil & Daughter and Black Moon are my favorite tracks.

Eternal Idol is right behind then Tyr.  Cross Purposes and Forbidden are 4th and 5th, but still awesome albums.  Of the Martin era, only Eternal Idol has gotten the deluxe edition treatment.  Tony has mentioned that he intends to give the four remaining albums the same deluxe release.  Hopefully this includes a live cd of a show Sabbath did in Russia on the Headless Cross tour.  Great show!

Its a shame that the Martin era is basically a forgotten era in metal.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 08:27:32 PM »
I too checked Amazon, it appears that all three Badlands releases can be had, but at a price. Dusk appears to be the most affordable. The first two records command a pretty premium.

I'd say Eternal Idol and Headless Cross would be my two favorites of Tony Martin output. Those albums, even the remasters seem reasonably priced on amazon. If you consider picking them up used, can save some cash to check these albums out with minimal investment. You get killed on shipping, but that's a whole other topic lol. 

It is pretty much a forgotten era, You don't hear too much discussion of those albums and those years. I guess it's not THAT hard to understand though considering who he takes a back seat to in the discussion (Ozzy and Dio) Dio had everyone's attention with Heaven and Hell, and then of course there was major interest in the Ozzy/Sabbath reunion that the Martin era pretty much got buried in the past, even though Ozzy is a shadow of what he was, apparently the interest is still high for that lineup. 

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
I bought a new copy of Badlands debut about six years ago; I guess it was re-released at the time.

I just checked amazon- the debut is going for $90 new and $30 used.  Hopefully it will be reissued again.

Thanks for the Sabbath recommendations, will get into Headless Cross next! 8)

Rock Candy records remastered and re-released the debut and Voodoo Highway Badlands some years back, the RC debut obviously goes for HUGE dollars.  I emailed them some time back as I somehow managed to miss that release but they only ever do limited print runs and no chance of reprinting it.  As always they come with sleeve/liner notes from those involved and usually sound very good.

I have a few (Lynch Mob's Wicked Sensation and Tangier's Four Winds personal faves) so if you ever stumble across the Rock Candy version of Badlands debut for a good price snap it up (and a second one if ya's can and let me know! ;D)

So while we're on it, fer my next diamond in the rough...  From their 89 debut Four Winds, Tangier's RIPCORD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdRuWmZmaY

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »
NICE ONE WARDY ...Tangier

They were big players on the club scene around the New Jersey/ Philly area in the late eighties , early nineties. The grunge movement blew them right off the map unfortunately. Good band.

Album #2 with different singer Mike Lecompt who still plays almost every weekend around the Philly/Jersey shore scene with his band Lecompt, isn't bad either good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yZEyyULYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TKwLjn-8M

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
NICE ONE WARDY ...Tangier

They were big players on the club scene around the New Jersey/ Philly area in the late eighties , early nineties. The grunge movement blew them right off the map unfortunately. Good band.

Album #2 with different singer Mike Lecompt who still plays almost every weekend around the Philly/Jersey shore scene with his band Lecompt, isn't bad either good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yZEyyULYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TKwLjn-8M

Yeah, Stranded was a decent album but even back when released personally felt it took more of a crack at radio approach which while good for what it was, felt a lot of what made Four Winds remarkable was gone.

And while didn't find him quite as great as Bill Matson, LeCompt was a cool arse vocalist and thought his eponymous EP that followed was really cool, in particular the two ballads featured were magnificent and better (IMO) than anything from Stranded (title track aside perhaps ;))

WALKING AWAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwX1_bWQHTg
GYPSY HEART the other but cannot find an audio on youtube but no doubt ya know these diamonds in the rough, just posting for anyone who might've missed em ;)

Ahhhh how did I miss the Badlands chatter, quite literally my favorite band ever (crazy I know).
That will be tough, they've been out of print for a long time. The rumor is that the label refuses to release the record, or the rights to the record, out of respect to families of the women that Ray was... well you get the idea. Who knows if that's true, but Jake and Greg actually talked about it briefly when they were on Trunk's show.

As far as I know, Wardy hit the nail on the head regarding the breakup. Jake loved the blues rock roots of the band and wanted to push that experiment further. Ray wanted to get a bit more commercial with the band and try to write some hits. Badlands sold somewhere around 300k and Voodoo Higheay did about 1/3 of that if memory serves. The writing was on the wall, Jake and Greg couldn't care less while Ray wanted to keep the band commercialy viable.

They actually broke up and had some horrible things to say about each other in Kerrang magazine, then reformed for a few one off shows eventually getting together to record the Dusk demo (which is F'n phenominal for a demo).

Here's a live clip from one of those post breakup shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KduRcE0g2xU

You can feel the tension in the air, and the band is absolutely on fire. Probably the best live guitar I've ever heard from Jake.

Anyway.... I love Badlands if you can't tell. I also thought Ray did a great job in Sabbath.

Edit: If you want to get realllly far down the Badlands/Ray rabbit hole, here is a completely random youtube video with only a few hundred hits. It's Ray messing around with some kids singing an AC/DC cover. To me it's a great display of just how powerful and gritty his voice was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfBLOe2OAk

And I somehow missed this post, and can appreciate yer love for Badlands and thanks for the cool link.

I remember seeing the Badlands debut on vinyl at my local just as it had hit the shelves, and while most my mates were blowing their paychecks on the town, I was using most my spare cash (remember those days?) to purchase music, and on a whim bought Badlands.  So hearing Hire Wire launch from the speakers promptly followed by Dreams In The Dark, then Jade's Song leading into Winter's Call...  There weren't many records that could do that!   I think I wore side A out before even flipping the record LOL and Dream's In The Dark remains a favorite of my top10ers from that period \m/

Actually discovered Queensryche in much the same way, on a whim and a dime ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:09:27 PM by Wardy »

BigMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »

As far as the Tony Martin era goes, the Headless Cross album is my favorite.  The title track, When Death Calls, Devil & Daughter and Black Moon are my favorite tracks.

Eternal Idol is right behind then Tyr.  Cross Purposes and Forbidden are 4th and 5th, but still awesome albums.  Of the Martin era, only Eternal Idol has gotten the deluxe edition treatment.  Tony has mentioned that he intends to give the four remaining albums the same deluxe release.  Hopefully this includes a live cd of a show Sabbath did in Russia on the Headless Cross tour.  Great show!

Forbdden needs to be remixed...why did they have Ice T's guitar player produce that record is beyond me!!!!

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »
Stranded definitely was a major stab at radio play to try and cash in on the times, but most of them did lol. So I give them a pass for that. But they came in at the end of the scene so they got squashed by grunge before they could really gain a lot of traction. Not sure why Bill Mattson didn't last past that first record cause it was good, don't know if that was a record company forced issue or if the other band members wanted Lecompt in.

Very much Cinderella influenced, for sure. That Lecompt album or EP whatever it was is pretty good too. Liked that stuff.

Definitely remember the days of savin up the extra dough to go buy records at the record store  8) stumbled upon lots of great music just pickin bad ass lookin album covers or on a whim lookin at song titles and what not. Great times.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 07:15:19 PM »

Forbdden needs to be remixed...why did they have Ice T's guitar player produce that record is beyond me!!!!

A lot of people dissed that album just because of the song with Ice T, I didn't know his guitarist produced it, seriously? A Sabbath record, that's inexcusable lol

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »
Stranded definitely was a major stab at radio play to try and cash in on the times, but most of them did lol. So I give them a pass for that. But they came in at the end of the scene so they got squashed by grunge before they could really gain a lot of traction. Not sure why Bill Mattson didn't last past that first record cause it was good, don't know if that was a record company forced issue or if the other band members wanted Lecompt in.

Very much Cinderella influenced, for sure. That Lecompt album or EP whatever it was is pretty good too. Liked that stuff.

Definitely remember the days of savin up the extra dough to go buy records at the record store  8) stumbled upon lots of great music just pickin bad ass lookin album covers or on a whim lookin at song titles and what not. Great times.

ETA Four Winds was actually their second record, they released a more 'glam' less southern roots rock album couple years prior to Four Winds :D.

Anyway, from the Rock Candy 2013 remaster, Dave Reynolds' liner notes; "It was a corporate decision" answers Doug (Gordon) on the question of Bill's departure.  Doug then goes on to praise Bill's vocals stating he puts Bill in the pantheon with Paul Rodgers and Lou Gramm.  And Bill states "My take on it is that the album sales weren't as planned" suggesting the label were pointing fingers and he simply got pointed at. 

Bottom line it was bigwig label shenanigans, and respect to the band and LeCompt for putting in a great performance with record #3, Bill's departure was IMO a terrible decision.  And so while on a Tangier roll, for anyone still wondering here's some more diamonds from that some record (and hey they toured with Cinderella, imagine seeing that!);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJ4J7QhJF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbagfJdPrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69aAoiMl8IM

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:43:48 PM by Wardy »