Author Topic: Hair Metal Classics (diamonds in the rough)  (Read 13958 times)

Wardy

• View Profile
Re: Hair Metal Classics (diamonds in the rough)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:47:58 AM »
Badlands 1st album was great and the 2nd was good as even though they switched drummers. Blue Murder 1st was awesome...John Sykes guitar sound was great...that should have been the follow up record for Whitesnake if Coverdale didn't fire everybody from the previous record.

Yeah the 1st Blue Murder was cool, what could've been right? :(  Having said that, personally loved Slip Of The Tongue regardless thought Vai contributed some wonderful solos on that record.  Unfortunately (and respectfully) Vai recorded all the guitars and what got lost were the big kick to the head riffs Adrian Vandenberg had likely intended for the record.  Think the record was only at the demo stage when Vai entered, but would love to hear those original Vandenberg demos anyway ;)

And agree re Badlands.  Reportedly Ray and Lee had started banging heads over the direction of the second record (among other things), Ray wanting more tunes the likes of Dreams In The Dark, but Lee wanting to go more rootsy blues (to my ears where Voodoo Highway was leaning more toward).  Personally woulda preferred Ray's approach (considering Dreams In The Dark one of this fans favorite of its era), but Voodoo Highway was thankfully still a great record.

But even though only an official demo, thought Dusk was even better than the sophomore.  Ray recorded his vocals for that third record entirely live, and Dusk was posthumously released in the late 90's, some years after his death as had been rejected by then label at the time.  Dusk was somewhat a double edged sword, while was and still is a heartbreaking listen considering we now know it wasn't long after those recordings when Ray passed away, his and the bands flare were still intact and much of the material is some of the bands best work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7k9Sl5Pb9M

But that first record?  An outright classic in my books, like jjrock said, such a shame it didn't get the push it deserved.

ETA had thought Ray was unwell while recording vocals for Dusk but quick web search can't confirm that, perhaps it was during the recordings for his Sun Red Sun band/album I read that somewhere...!?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:10:33 AM by Wardy »

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »
From what I read, Ray was initially considered to be the singer for Blue Murder.  That's a great disc, but I think Ray would have made it even better.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Dendroica

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »
Blue Murder has one of my favorite ballads ever:  Out of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferWyvxphIo

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:37 AM »
See this is why I only post SONGS and not film clips, some of those videos are terrible LOL...  Don't get me wrong, I was there so much respect for the scene back when, but ya know, just sayin' ;D

And maybe it's just me but never remembered just how much Blue Murder sounded like Winger!? :o

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
Blue Murder has one of my favorite ballads ever:  Out of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferWyvxphIo

That's a bad ass song there I have to dig that cd out tonight
See this is why I only post SONGS and not film clips, some of those videos are terrible LOL...  Don't get me wrong, I was there so much respect for the scene back when, but ya know, just sayin' ;D

And maybe it's just me but never remembered just how much Blue Murder sounded like Winger!? :o

I hear a lot of Whitesnake influence I thought in both of them bands. Not real familiar with a lot of Winger stuff.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
Getting near Halloween...The mighty Steve Grimmett and Grim Reaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJgv-qBBT3Y
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:00:32 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
 8)

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
Another one from the dying end of the scene, this has since been unfairly panned since but while not as hard hitting as others, think at the time it was a class record full of great material and performances.  And was a always a sucker for 'big' intros and this one delivered in spades! 8)

From the self titled debut Beggars & Thieves - No More Broken Dreams  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeqiMJTczw

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
From what I read, Ray was initially considered to be the singer for Blue Murder.  That's a great disc, but I think Ray would have made it even better.

Somehow missed this comment, no did not know that and listening back to those Blue Murder songs, respectfully of course, how good would Ray have sounded on these hmmm? 8) 

On a side note, have you heard Sabbath's Eternal Idol demos with Ray on vocals?

As was actually think Tony Martin fit that record like a glove and sounded great, but Eternal Idol has since been re-released remastered as a 2CD set with Ray's original demos as a 2nd disc and is well worth yer ears and coin, Ray sounds fantastic and packaging/liner notes and whatnot are all quality to boot! ;)

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »

Somehow missed this comment, no did not know that and listening back to those Blue Murder songs, respectfully of course, how good would Ray have sounded on these hmmm? 8) 

On a side note, have you heard Sabbath's Eternal Idol demos with Ray on vocals?

As was actually think Tony Martin fit that record like a glove and sounded great, but Eternal Idol has since been re-released remastered as a 2CD set with Ray's original demos as a 2nd disc and is well worth yer ears and coin, Ray sounds fantastic and packaging/liner notes and whatnot are all quality to boot! ;)

I love the Tony Martin era Sabbath.  Love it!  Just behind the Dio era for me.

I have both the Eternal Idol and Seventh Star deluxe editions.  The bonus disc with Ray singing the songs from EI and the live disc with Ray on SS are both awesome.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
I love the Tony Martin era Sabbath.  Love it!  Just behind the Dio era for me.

I have both the Eternal Idol and Seventh Star deluxe editions.  The bonus disc with Ray singing the songs from EI and the live disc with Ray on SS are both awesome.

Cool.  I have most the Martin era here but only a couple on CD (The Eternal Idol deluxe obviously) but while have always enjoyed that one really only got into the that period of their catalog over the last couple years.  There's some great stuff there shame that era didn't get the praise it rightly deserved!  Guess then that puts it in the 'diamond in the rough' basket right? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xOTRvRyaA

Hey jjrock, as don't own everything (remember being very impressed with TYR and Headless Cross gets good praise...) but am keen to revisit that era, would appreciate if ya wanna throw some song recommendations at these ears? :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:20:05 PM by Wardy »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
I'm going to have to go back and re-visit those albums as well. I've played the Ozzy era and DIO era albums to death. I've even worn out Born Again with Ian Gillan, which I think is awesome albeit the not so great sound production.

I remember fondly liking the Seventh Star album with Glenn Hughes, a few gems on that one but a little more bluesy, as it was supposed to be an Iommi solo album.

Eternal Idol, Cross Purposes and Headless Cross I thought were all good and I believe I saw all three of those tours, were always pretty good shows with Tony
but if I remember correctly some of those shows were sparsely attended as they're popularity had waned some. But always cool stage set ups and good shows.

Tyr and Forbidden (love that album cover) I don't know that I ever really gave those two a good listen.

I was not aware of the bonus disc with a Ray live show. I'm assuming that is on a re-release remaster edition of Seventh Star??? I need to check that out. Also need to check out that remastered deluxe Eternal Idol. I haven't listened to any of those era albums in quite some time.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »
Another one from the dying end of the scene, this has since been unfairly panned since but while not as hard hitting as others, think at the time it was a class record full of great material and performances.  And was a always a sucker for 'big' intros and this one delivered in spades! 8)

From the self titled debut Beggars & Thieves - No More Broken Dreams  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeqiMJTczw

Who was in that Beggars and Thieves band?

Also I thought I had Badlands on Cd, only did on cassette, guess I'll be purchasing that soon too  8)