Author Topic: Fates Warning  (Read 4736 times)

Rockox

• View Profile
Re: Fates Warning
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
I'm only a couple tunes in but it sounds great so far.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
Seems they started taking down those songs. Bummer, I didn't get to hear those. But what I did get to hear so far sounds like the best from them since the early days.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Seems they started taking down those songs. Bummer, I didn't get to hear those. But what I did get to hear so far sounds like the best from them since the early days.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSdmbP6oJCSWcvftv_EejtWgGEcXcBHz6

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Thanks  ;)

love it, those two long tracks are incredible. Best in YEARS from them. Definitely a classic sounding throwback album to my ears.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Yep!

Ya know, flicking through the liner notes artwork and whatnot (I recommend the deluxe HC bonus tracks digipak version, the acoustic songs are excellent) while listening yet again I can't help but wonder if this is at least one of their top3 records period.  Certainly expect it will be fer this fan.  Throwback correct, kinda straddling the fence between Parallels and DarknessIADL with a smattering of Disconnected...

Incredible to be releasing such a record this late in their careers 8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:28:11 PM by Wardy »

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
Never heard these guys it's all sounding great👍

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
Never heard these guys it's all sounding great👍

Awesome time to be discoverimg them!

Once you've settled with this record I recommend you going back to 2013's Darkness In A Different Light, then way bacck to Parallels 8)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »
This might be my favourite album of theirs after Parallels and Perfect Symmetry. The guitars shred, the drums are all over the place and Ray Alder fucking KILLS it. I'm amazed at how good this is.

Right now my fave part is after the solo in The Light And Shade of Things (holy shit, THIS SONG) around the 9-minute mark, Ray Alder sings "It's hard to find your heart now" and the fucking GRIT he puts on the word "hard" is enough to make me stand up and cheer.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
Good choice.  I thought the exact same thing about Ray's singing of 'Away' during the opening verse of SOS...

And it really is those subtle (or not so subtle?) differences that separate the classics from the rest of the bunch.  And tbh I can't recall any album of late that has generated quite so much analysis, not unlike those classic era Queensryche records from back in the day hmmm!? ;)

At minimum locking this one in a 9/10

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
Yep!

Ya know, flicking through the liner notes artwork and whatnot (I recommend the deluxe HC bonus tracks digipak version, the acoustic songs are excellent) while listening yet again I can't help but wonder if this is at least one of their top3 records period.  Certainly expect it will be fer this fan.  Throwback correct, kinda straddling the fence between Parallels and DarknessIADL with a smattering of Disconnected...

Incredible to be releasing such a record this late in their careers 8)

Cool. thanks. I'm definitely gonna go for that deluxe bonus track disc digi pack, I want that acoustic disc.

This album sounds absolutely fantastic. I wasn't expecting anything this good, kind of caught me off guard. I liken this to the last two Queensryche albums, In that I really didn't know what to expect going forward and they totally blew me away with the strength of the songs and the upped energy level. Like Queensryche this new Fate's album likely won't sell for shit either and that is a God Damn shame.  >:(

There's are a few songs on this that are Outstanding! 
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
This album is killer with little filler  :) your right probably won't sell a bunch but it is stellar. Much more than I'd expect from this band at this stage. Talk about a comeback album. The last one had some moments, but not like this.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 09:51:31 PM »
Sadly budget strings have likely cut me from seeing Queensryche this year, but will be pulling out all the stops to somehow get my arse to Fates if they tour this one DownUnder...

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 09:59:13 PM »
I think what's impressed me the most is how good Ray Alder has gotten at writing a melody over the years (assuming he writes the melodies). I remember first hearing Parallels and thinking he was good, but that some of the odd time signatures made his melodies sound unnatural, like he was waiting for the downbeat before continuing a melody line. I'm not describing it very well, but regardless I hear none of that from him anymore. It all sounds very natural and fluid.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
Was always more of an early Fate's fan and John Arch fan. Ray really shines on this one for sure. I think his best work yet. This a real complete package, really strong material.