Author Topic: DIO  (Read 8126 times)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
Re: DIO
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »
I was very fortunate to have seen Dio on the Last In Line, Sacred Heart, and Dream Evil tours...and then many years later with Heaven and Hell.  He was an absolute LEGEND.

Same here 'JCC'. I'm also incredibly honored that I got to see him on Black Sabbath's 'Dehumanizer' tour (Nov. 1992) as well. While I'm very proud I saw those Dio shows in the 80s, I have to say Ronnie's greatest years to me were with Sabbath. Looking back, I simply lost interest in another version of Dio after he rejoined them in 1992, and then left again ( >:()!

For me there was no going back. I wouldn't see him again until 2007 when Sabbath reconvened as Heaven & Hell. He was back where he belonged, where I believe he really wanted to be (with Tony, Geezer, and Vinny.) Again, my opinion. R.I.P. RJD ( :-X).

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Cant really disagree but last week played Killing The Dragon and again reckon it stands up with his best work. Very underrated album (as were many his 90-00's albums as was another personal fave Magica).  Perhaps the record's title was too typical of yesteryear for fresh ears who knows but his one in particular deserved better and man, those few openimg songs are one hell of a way to kick off an album 8)

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 11:17:22 PM »
Cant really disagree but last week played Killing The Dragon and again reckon it stands up with his best work.

I actually just listened to Killing the Dragon for the first time recently, and I was really impressed! I'm not sure about it being his best work, but it is definitely in my top 5 Dio albums. My favourites are Dream Evil, Strange Highways, and of course Holy Diver.
What's becoming of me?

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »
Cant really disagree but last week played Killing The Dragon and again reckon it stands up with his best work.

I actually just listened to Killing the Dragon for the first time recently, and I was really impressed! I'm not sure about it being his best work, but it is definitely in my top 5 Dio albums. My favourites are Dream Evil, Strange Highways, and of course Holy Diver.

Well it seems we agree on plenty ;)

Dream Evil and Last In Line this fan's faves followed by Holy Diver and Magica. Sacred Heart close behind Aand yes while not quite their calibre, Killing The Dragon certainly does IMO stand up to his best work and probably sits somewhere alongside Sacred Heart...

Of course now the man has left us we explore his back catalog with perhaps even greater effort knowing he has sung us his last song, and fortunately his is a catalog of treasure, always something there always something more no matter how many times we've heard it already 8)

BigMarty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »
Wow...Miller's on here....like OHHHMYGERD!!!!! Welcome buddy  :)

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
Of course now the man has left us we explore his back catalog with perhaps even greater effort knowing he has sung us his last song, and fortunately his is a catalog of treasure, always something there always something more no matter how many times we've heard it already 8)

Amen to that. \m/
What's becoming of me?

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
Holy Diver
Dream Evil
The Last In Line

Were always my big three.

Sacred Heart was a great tour, but not quite up to par. I always thought they tried a little to hard to be more mainstream on that one, albeit there are a few really good songs on it.

Strange Highways and Killing The Dragon I remember being pretty good. Like Wardy said, gonna have to revisit some of that material and Magica. 
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/a-decade-of-dio-6cd-box-set/

Not yet sure if these are in fact as the announcement reads, newly remastered or if they are simply the remasters we got several years back now boxed into one!?  Nor can I find whether they contain different or same track listing (assuming theses are just the studio records not including the bonus discs?)...

If they are however new remasters not sure they were needed previous lot sounded good but if turns out the case hope to heck they finally get Dream Evil and its horrible background hiss sorted >:(

My bad, way down bottom of that very article is the tracklistings. Looks like just the original studio tracks and comments suggest these are indeed NEW remasters. So hope they have improved on Dream Evil but kinda frustrating for thise that already purchased the previous Deluxe editions...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:40:20 PM by Wardy »

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »
New re-masters from what I've seen, I never picked up the deluxe releases, so I will jump on this one. I never noticed much of an issue with Dream Evil. I think my copy is the original release. As long as it doesn't cost a fortune well worth it for new remasters.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »
Saw Dio twice both excellent shows. All of his work with Rainbow Sabbath and his own band is excellent.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
Dio Bass guitarist Jimmy Bain died 1/24/2016

Rainbow In The Dark    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSt1oEIshE

Ronnie James Dio Heaven Must Be Rockin' What a Great Performer A True Rock God
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:31:27 PM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
Dio and Yngwie MalmSteen-Child In Time   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ab52Z-mj_o

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:29:26 PM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
That's not Dio, That is Mark Boals singing on that, an on again, off again member of Yngwie Malmsteen's band. He has also sang and played bass with Dokken, and has had a solo career.

Here is a true Dio/Yngwie collaboration
Dream On (Aerosmith cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZamjrXCDvo

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »
Damn, Dio singing Dream On? Fucking awesome.

DIO HOLOGRAM. ALL HAIL. http://loudwire.com/ronnie-james-dio-hologram-joins-dio-disciples-2016-wacken-open-air-festival/
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"