Author Topic: Best of the Hair Metal 80's  (Read 3369 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Best of the Hair Metal 80's
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
Who we're your favorite 80's hair metal bands. I grew up with MTV. Great times they were to be a music and metal head. Who were your favorites bands, favorite songs, favorite video's ???
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

jjrock88

• View Profile
Re: Best of the Hair Metal 80's
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
Do we lump QR in there?  lol

Off the top of my head, I like Stryper, Skid Row, Y&T, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Ratt, Crue,

I always like the heavier bands of the 80's metal scene better- Priest, Dio, Maiden, but the entire decade provided some of the best rock/metal of all time.  Nothing competes with it.

The video for "Summertime Girls" by Y&T is pure cheese/awesomeness.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:12:49 PM by jjrock88 »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »
You can put whoever you want in there, there's no rules in this thread, this is a new site remember lol.  ;D It's always been painted with a broad brush, I guess they call it that (Hair Metal) because the hair and aqua net was the determining focus. I've seen the Warning and Rage for order album sleeves, Hard to argue that they would be immune to being put in that category. As we're some of my other favorites of the era...I guess It wasn't defined by sound, more or less looks. Some of Fav's are/were Cinderella, Dokken, Ratt, Crue, LA Gun's, Great White, Faster Pussycat, Warrant. The cool thing was ,damn near every one of them had a hit of some sort right down the line...Keel, Krokus, Helix, Rough Cutt, Y & T, Bullet Boys, Saigon Kick, Britney Fox. There's quite an extensive list. MTV was far reaching in them days and I for one. Loved it     

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
Just an awesome genre, but you can see how the longevity wouldn't last.

I could never get into faster pussycat or Brittany fox

HolyDiver

• Steering perception? I am! Inviting contradiction?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Love Scorpions, love Quiet Riot, ESPECIALLY love Twisted Sister. Sometimes I just get in moods where there isn't anything in the world that can satisfy like blasting some of this uncomplicated, unapologetic, ROCK.
What's becoming of me?

Dendroica

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
I really dig 80's "hair metal" music, even the power ballads (my wife and I listen to those together so it makes for quality time).

Best and favorite are not the same, so here's a couple of my favorites:

Cinderella
White Lion
no makeup era KISS
Extreme's debut album
Whitesnake

Lots of mega cheese that I could do without from that era though......

Too many to list but these pop up right off the top of my head...

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
Agree totally with that , same here, me and my fiancÚ enjoy all the hair metal and power ballad stuff together. She likes that stuff much more than an album side of ELP, YES, or the Allman Brothers live at the filmore jamming for 30 minutes a clip or Slayer south of heaven blasting so loud you can hear it 8 houses up the street lol.

White Lion good one.
I too enjoy those makeup less era kiss albums, nothin wrong with a little I love it Loud, Creatures of the night, lick it up, heaven's on fire, and tears are falling. All good rockin tunes.

Zebra
Firehouse
TT Quick: Metal of honor

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
Good call on TT Quick; Metal of Honor is awesome. Same with the debut from Firehouse

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
Really big fan of hair metal here. I grew up on all the great 80s stuff, mostly because I have an older brother who was into it all. I went through my "music snob" phase in university where I stopped listening to it for a few years, but as I got older I slowly got back into all those fun, old tunes. I even went and bought everything back on CD (since the first go-arounds were all on cassettes).

Slaughter, White Lion, Firehouse, Ratt, Telsa, Skid Row, Extreme, Europe, Motley Crue, etc, etc.

And 80s KISS. Good call, guys. I actually prefer 80s KISS to the 70s stuff. A few years ago I had made an 80s KISS mix ("More Smashes, Thrashes and Rashes") that would blow your fuckin' minds.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »
Cool on the kiss 80's stuff, I'm about even I do like SOME of the 70's stuff, but I was never a huge Kiss fan, and yeah I like probably just as many of their songs from the 80's as I do from the 70's

I was the opposite, I was naturally attracted to the hair metal as well even the soft fluff music in the 80's being in my teens for the main original MTV era. I'm a big fan of all the 60's and 70's stuff due to having older siblings. But on my own yeah it was heavy metal and hair band 80's bigtime lol.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:20:33 AM »
White Lion is a Danish/American rock band that was formed in New York City in 1983 by Danish vocalist Mike Tramp and American guitarist Vito Bratta. Mainly active in the 1980s and early 1990s, releasing their debut album Fight to Survive in 1985.

Here's White Lion's version of Radar Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk2U41uvOlI

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:31:08 AM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
Great version, As re-makes go, Nicely done.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
Loved White Lion personal fave...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-6bwOQiGM

Couple less known hair metal acts (for want of a better term, somewhat appropriate but not exactly a flattering label LOL) that came during the last gasps of the genre, waving the final flag for its quality( :)) to name just two, were;

Bangalore Choir https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnP0MqyvwXs

Wildside https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WnI4_3_VTIo

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
Both of those are pretty cool, dig both of these tunes. Never heard of either one of these bands before.