Author Topic: Will there ever be a Geoff Tate/Queensryche REUNION (album/tour)  (Read 4569 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Will there ever be a Geoff Tate/Queensryche REUNION (album/tour)
« on: September 01, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »
The inevitable question....Down the road...will there ever be a Geoff Tate & Queensryche REUNION, album, tour, both...Could that fence ever mend or the payday be that enticing? With talks of Slash and Axl's relationship thawing and the looming possibility of some type of Guns and Roses reunion at least a remote possibility, stranger things in rock and roll have happened. it obvious will not happen in the short term...but say a few years down the road??? 
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
Re: Will there ever be a Geoff Tate/Queensryche REUNION (album/tour)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
Not until 2020 at the EARLIEST. Also, I'm of the viewpoint that new material would have to be in the mix before ANY of them would consider it. That said, EVERY musician has a price. Likewise, there has to be a demand for a reunion as well. Truthfully, I'll be surprised if there is by that point. But I digress (  :-\ ).

Also, make no mistake: it would only work if it was DeGarmo, Jackson, Rockenfield, Tate, and Wilton. In short order, it's the ONLY incarnation I've ever been comfortable with calling "the REAL Queensryche". No matter how solid the current lineup is, or how much I root for them. Again, my opinion mind you. I have to be honest about that (  8) ).

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
I could see it if the band were to make an appearance at something like the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame where it made sense to bring everyone back. Honestly, I wonder if the biggest hold-out would be Chris DeGarmo since he seems very comfortable not having anything to do with the band.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

RoushRycher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »
I hope not.  I never want to see Tate with them again.  Now if Chris wants to come back for a show or shows, fine, but I'm also OK if that never happens.  Queensryche has always been about evolving; I don't need to try to relive the past. 
Magnetize what you conceptualize beause your thoughts become things. Ths is the Law of Attraction. -TLT

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
I really don't see Tate getting back with those guys again. I could see DeGarmo attending a special occasion, like a Hall of Fame induction, but that's about it.
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
I hope not.  I never want to see Tate with them again.  Now if Chris wants to come back for a show or shows, fine, but I'm also OK if that never happens.  Queensryche has always been about evolving; I don't need to try to relive the past.

It's not hard to understand why you feel that way 'Roush'. Fair enough. Respect (  8) ).

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
I could see it if the band were to make an appearance at something like the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame where it made sense to bring everyone back. Honestly, I wonder if the biggest hold-out would be Chris DeGarmo since he seems very comfortable not having anything to do with the band.

I do agree 'Rockox' that Chris would definitely be the holdout in a potential Queensryche reunion. Personally, that's why I think new material would have to be a prerequisite for him to participate. I have a feeling that ALL of them would agree to that as well.

To your comment on a future Rock Hall induction: in some ways, I'd rather see three of their albums enshrined in the Library Of Congress instead. 'Rage For Order', 'Operation:mindcrime', and 'Promised Land' DESERVE to be recognized as artistic highlights in the history of recorded sound. I consider that to be an HONOR of the highest order, in my opinion. Great comment.

jjrock88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
I don't see it ever happening.  I think the events of the last few years caused too much bad blood and not worth any future contact from any party involved.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
Given the recent discussion on DTF, I'm bumping this in case anyone wants to add anything to this thread.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
I started this thread some while ago and I never really gave my in depth view point on this, as I see by reading the lead off to the thread. I have however touched upon this very subject in other areas of this forum as well as back on the Open Road and Bdr I believe, lumped in with the whole fan division and animosity towards Tate situation, because that actually has a lot to do with this subject. So I will comingle that situation here as it applies to the likelihood as to whether there will ever be an original lineup reunion and my thoughts on such a situation.

There are four main reasons, as far as I'm concerned why most people do not want this supposed reunion to ever happen based largely upon what I've heard and seen in talking to people, perusing the internet comments and such.

1) The absolute dislike for Tate based largely upon the court declarations, the Brazil incident and verbal and physical attack on his bandmates and all the shady horseshit and nepotism that went on in the band leading up to it's final implosion, including all the Susan Tate related issues. many will not and cannot forgive him for that.

2) Being that his vocal range has significantly dropped off, he resembles Mister Rogers or Captain Noah these days more so than the singer of a hard rock/heavy metal band and does not at all do justice to the level of performance from a theatrical and presentation stance as he once did.

3) Most people regard him as the absolute be all end all reason for Queensryche's downward spiral, including not once but twice chasing Chris DeGarmo from the band, and moving the band away from a harder rock and steering them to very erratic musical territories, outside songwriters and even having others play the music on some portions of the later albums.

4) The band is clicking on all cylinders right now with two very respectable albums under their belt, a third in the works. They are back to rocking hard, enjoying playing, getting along great and are in a healthy cohesive band atmosphere. why the hell would you jeopardize that?

To touch upon #1.
I don't nor did I really ever hold a major un- healable grudge against Tate for the actions in Brazil, because I was not directly involved in those altercations. Those activities did not directly impact me personally. I never cared to waste my time reading all the court documents either, I skimmed through certain items at best and did not let any of it really alter my perception of anything much. If I was a member of the band however, these actions would make it VERY difficult for me to ever want to take the risk of ever working with that individual again, and I certainly wouldn't jeopardize the bands current creativity and chemistry to experiment with such a situation, with or without DeGarmo.

I was able to remain a fan of Geoff's post Queensryche. I have bought Frequency Unknown, both Operation Mindcrime albums and seen him live since. His music suits me fine right now for what it is and what his capabilities currently are and so he says he is enjoying working with others. Great, lets keep it that way.     

To touch upon #2.
His vocal range has indeed declined very, very noticeably. Especially by comparison now to hearing Todd sing this stuff. Even album wise, with the exception of a song here and a few songs there, the S/T Queensryche 2013 and Condition Human bury every Queensryche album since and including Hear In The Now Frontier, in my opinion, and by leaps and bounds at that if I were to be perfectly honest. Having seen the band a few times with Todd now and having seen them a few times between 2009 and the 2012 split, and taking into consideration the turd that was their final album with Tate. I'll pass on revisiting that thank you. I can't see a scenario where Tate's game would be up'd significantly enough to match the performances that the current lineup is offering up, again, with or without DeGarmo. 

To touch upon #3.
I don't believe all the blame for Queensryche's downward spiral should squarely be placed on Tate, after all, There are three other original members in this band that out number him and should have fought much harder to have their say instead of being lazy and going along with whatever He and Susan conjured up in relation to what the band should be doing.
 They also agreed one way or another to allow Susan to take over management, the website, the merchandising and whatever the hell else she and Tate's daughters were involved with.
 Chris DeGarmo doesn't get a free pass here either as the chief songwriter and supposed composer of lyrical melody because HITNF and the songs he was involved with on Tribe are a far step down the ladder from anything on or prior to Promised Land.
 Tate however does get much of the blame for chasing him out of the band on both occasions, although it has never been 100% verified as the sole reason(s). The outside writers situation is up for debate, was it because they had no ideas to bring to the table, or because Tate was such an asshole to work with and too head strong to pursue anyone else's ideas and concepts but his own. Having heard  S/T and Condition Human , I'd bet my money on the later.
 The session musicians/Slater or whoever playing parts on later day Queensryche with Tate albums, well that seems pretty fucked up and disingenuous to the fans in my opinion, along with the outside writers and using Slater's song database for ideas, If the working relationship within the band was that severed and fucked up, I want no part of a reunion with Tate. 

To touch upon #4.
I already kind of did, but yes the current lineup is having fun, playing cohesively, writing great songs, releasing great material, playing the songs the way they should be played, playing mostly the early catalog which coincidently happens to be the bands most revered and best material. Now or anytime in the near future is sure as hell not the time to even imagine a re-visitation of what is not so lovingly referred to as the Tateryche years and for good reason.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:01:42 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
Having said all that, what would make for a good argument for such a reunion to ever occur. There are a few scenario's where I would be on board with an original lineup or even a Tate reunion without DeGarmo. Here they are......

1) The band ever got inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame. That is about as unlikely as Ratt, Dokken, or Twisted Sister ever getting in (a few bands who held the spotlight for about as long as Queensryche did and had a few albums sell pretty well)

2) Todd LaTorre were to leave the band, get fired from the band, or by some means part ways with Queensryche. This would put the band in the position to either go out on a limb and acquire a third vocalist at a very late stage of their career (by the time this would presumably happen, because it doesn't seem likely anytime soon) or be faced with the realization that Tate aged a bit more, calmed down, has apologized and agreed to be civil and a meager yet little bit of cash might be had by such a scenario to do a reunion album and tour or maybe even a reunion farewell tour with or without an album, and with or without DeGarmo.

3) For some ungodly reason the current lineup reverts back to Dedicated to Chaos mode and releases an album so pitifully painful and inept of a steaming pile of shit and so out of character for what they have built the last couple records that either Todd and Parker split or the original three went into total damage control mode and thought the only logical way to save face from it was to reunite with Tate to repair the fallout of such a situation.

Those are my three scenario's which I could see a reunion happen. 1 and 3 are IMO highly unlikely. #2 well that one could happen, time will tell.

But for those of you thinking an original lineup reunion would be a cash windfall or a large venue sellout return to glory for Queensryche. Unfortunately (considering they are my favorite band) I beg to differ and they would be lucky to fill theatre's unless it was a package deal tour with a few bands with large fan bases (who by the way would eat up a large portion of the tour earnings negating the big payday). 

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
What about something akin to what Helloween is doing and bringing everyone, past and present out on the road?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:43:25 PM by ShadowWalker »

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
ehh, I don't know that this could work in this situation Shadow. First of all I don't think the remaining three original members are any where near the point of being past all of the bullshit that went down in 2012, I would imagine they are still quite a ways away from ever wanting to work with him again.

How uncomfortable would working with Tate be now for Parker who chose to stay on the bands side of things, especially having been a part of that Tate squad when he was briefly married to Tate's daughter. Also if you listen to the lyrics to Where dreams go to die, I would swear they were singing about Tate in some of those lines, and didn't he write that song.  :-\

Todd probably wouldn't exactly be raising his hand to volunteer for this either, because it would mean he would get less songs to sing on, but maybe he could duel drum with Scott when he wasn't singing, that might be cool. He would also have the confidence that he would certainly know that he could blow Tate right off the stage at present. Which brings me to Geoff, I don't know that Tate's ego could handle being out sung and bigtime at a show or tour celebrating the songs he was a part of making. Unless of course Todd only sang the new material and Tate sang the old stuff.

Then there is the ultimate question of would DeGarmo even be interested in taking a chance at being involved in that kind of recipe for potential disaster.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »
Then there is the ultimate question of would DeGarmo even be interested in taking a chance at being involved in that kind of recipe for potential disaster.

That's really the thing. If CDG would already have to contend with his own hang-ups involving Tate, now he'd have this whole Tate vs. the rest of the band bullshit to deal with. And for what, a little extra scratch, maybe? CDG is probably content with his doing his own thing and collecting his royalty cheques every month.

Lucidity

• Visualize your dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
His vocal range has indeed declined very, very noticeably. Especially by comparison now to hearing Todd sing this stuff. Even album wise, with the exception of a song here and a few songs there, the S/T Queensryche 2013 and Condition Human bury every Queensryche album since and including Hear In The Now Frontier, in my opinion, and by leaps and bounds at that if I were to be perfectly honest. Having seen the band a few times with Todd now and having seen them a few times between 2009 and the 2012 split, and taking into consideration the turd that was their final album with Tate. I'll pass on revisiting that thank you. I can't see a scenario where Tate's game would be up'd significantly enough to match the performances that the current lineup is offering up, again, with or without DeGarmo. 
Geoff and Todd could share vocal duties with Todd singing all the super high notes and Geoff singing lower harmonies. That would be great!  :)