Author Topic: Official trailer for Operation:Mindcrime's forthcoming album, 'The Key'  (Read 23256 times)

bhg70

Frontiers posted the trailer today.

https://youtu.be/zOEL6Ic1XsI

Deathless

• View Profile
Samples aren't bad... but it's not really anything that grabs me either. Again, Tate seems to be the weakest link.

Lucretia

• View Profile
Save for a few held notes in the second song, it's the same talky, weak vocals we've been getting for the last decade. Musically, it's not bad--I'd bet his "band" wrote nearly none of it.

Also, that's some might good Photoshopping on Tater's picture. (His eyes have never been that color.) That hair do is still ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:05:43 PM by Lucretia »

Grappler

Geoff's voice sounds pretty dry, but I think that's par for the course.  It's just how he sounds now ala American Soldier.   Musically, it sounds pretty much the same as the last few QR records he was involved with. 

Wyrm

• View Profile
Sounds pretty good to me. Didn't expect it to be this good. Will check it out when it's in the stores.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • WÖR Party
First lil tidbit sounds like Oasis sung an octave lower up until 1:27, then around 1:58 he re-hashes A.S. using a chord progression from The Mission at 2:35 until 2:52.

Life or Death sounds like a Pedophile Disc Jockey for a classic rock station, really creepy, void of creativity in my opinion, The Fall showed some promise, until the same predictable vocal narrative style from The Great Divide resurfaced.  The verse riffs were cool otherwise.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...

Grappler

Also, it looks like "The Key" might correspond to his insania logo, based on the album cover (which could have been a do-it-yourself job as well). 

T-ski

• On Wisconsin!
    • View Profile
who is singing on "Life or Death"?  that isn't Tate.
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

Lucretia

• View Profile
I've never heard him sing, but my guess is that it's Brian Tichy. I know he has fronted a band before, and he's the only one in Tate's "band" that seems invested in this at all for more than just a paycheck.

Bloodhail

• Was once a Floof in a past life.
    • View Profile
EFFORT! HONEST TO GOD EFFORT!

It's not great, but man, it sounds like Geoff kind of gives a shit again. A lot of it is the same thing he's been doing since American Soldier, but the new coat of paint this time around is actually the most likeable thing he's done since then.

If I sound incredulous, it's because I am. I didn't expect him to put actual effort into music again, even if it's just a little.

However, I REALLY hope that's not the cover. ...it is, isn't it?

No joke, it sounds like the guy from Puddle of Mudd.

Maine Is Where Dreams Die

• View Profile
More uninspired crap.  It's obvious again that he needs music to pay the bills, but no longer has the desire to make music.  His voice is so painful to listen to these days.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:00:23 PM by Maine Is Where Dreams Die »

AnybodyListening.net

I've listened to all four samples twice now. Music pretty much sounds like a cross between American Soldier, Kings & Thieves and a smidge of the heavier D2C tracks, which is to be expected, given that Kelly was heavily involved in writing all three of those, musically, as was Randy (on the latter two).

So if those guys are heavily credited in the writing, it won't come as a big surprise.

But I think it's too limited a sample to really definitively state if it's "good" or "bad." Tate sounds a bit more inspired, but his vocals are about the same as they have been. And the vocal melodies are flat. I think everyone finally understands now that it was Chris that really helped Tate on the vocal melodies. It was never Geoff's strong point. His strength was his operatic vocals and grandiose ideas. He hasn't had the former in ages, and I think he thinks he's smarter than he really is, regarding the latter, at least since D2C.

Looking forward to hearing the whole thing. If these four samples are indicative of the record as a whole (and I assume they would be, otherwise they wouldn't have done this sampler), there may be something of value here. But that's giving Tate the benefit of the doubt, which I learned long ago not to do.

But I'll check it out for sure in September.

Lucidity

• Visualize your dream!
    • View Profile
Boring. Geoff sounds like an old man. :-\

I really hoped for some above-average stuff like "Cold" (which was really cool), but this trailer is just disappointing. :(

JT

• View Profile
This is Tate's third chance to prove to the world that all of the mediocrity in Queensryche was not his fault.  To me, this is strike three.  In fact, he really could have called this Kings & Thieves III because it's all the same.  The music is okay but his vocals are just crap ... it's boring.  It's everything that became wrong with QR, it's everything that was wrong with K&T and it's everything that is wrong with FU. 

He can't hide behind being creatively stifled or the band wasn't into it or he HAD to work on his own.  He has to own this.  I'm not sure which was the bigger lump of crap ... this music or what Frontiers did when they heard this stuff.  Somewhere, people at Cleopatra must be laughing.

RoushRycher

• View Profile

That is Mark Daly from the VooDoos.
Magnetize what you conceptualize beause your thoughts become things. Ths is the Law of Attraction. -TLT