Author Topic: Your thoughts on Geoff's upcoming Trilogy/concept album?  (Read 20066 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Your thoughts on Geoff's upcoming Trilogy/concept album?
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
Your thoughts on Geoff's Trilogy/ Concept album he apparently has in the works? can it work? will it be worthwhile? can that lineup produce anything that may gain your interest? again, insightful respectful commentary preferred.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Nemo Atkins

• Just a small town boy living in a lonely world
    • View Profile
    • Nemo Atkins' Blog
Re: Your thoughts on Geoff's upcoming Trilogy/concept album?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Hmm...speaking as a person who has been following the drama of the last two years, I have no interest in it. Tate as a person has just left me so disgusted with his behaviour that I have no intention of purchasing his album trilogy, not even if it gets hailed by Queensryche fans as three albums which top Operation: Mindcrime in terms of quality. He's done so much which I cannot stand him for that I have no reason to even consider wanting to support him in the future, and this trilogy, despite piquing my interest on the merits of the fact that I love concept albums and rock operas, is still coming from a source which I simply do not want to support, so I will consider myself as effectively having boycotted the trilogy already until I get solid proof that Tate has truly learnt from the last two years and is willing to make amends. And, even then, I will need proof that this trilogy will be worth picking up before I will change my personal stance on boycotting it.

As a music listener and amateur critic who can ignore the drama, though, I think that it COULD prove to be rather interesting. Bear in mind, a triple album is tough to do right (Green Day's one from 2012 alone could be cited as an example of doing it...not terribly, as I thought it had some good tracks, but certainly not very well!) and a concept album is tough to do right as well (it's not simply a case of just writing a bunch of songs and going "There's a story to this, go work it out": you have to actually think about what each song is trying to say and find a way to tell that story without it contradicting the other songs on it), so, naturally, combining the two together requires a HUGE amount of work to do properly. Even The Wall, one of the best rock operas of all time, was only a double album and had leftovers which ended up on The Final Cut, which goes to show that writing a concept album requires writing a lot of music...and all of the stuff that gets put out has to be GOOD, as too much filler will just result in the listener asking why it couldn't have been cut down to a single disc (as I still ask with Green Day's album trilogy...).

While I doubt Tate is going to put in the work for it necessary to make it great, let's assume for a minute that Tate does realise how much work he is going to have to put into this project AND is going to make an honest effort to make it the best that he can. If such is the case, then I imagine that there could be potential for this idea. While I HIGHLY doubt it'll top any of Queensryche's classic line up albums, a properly thought out and fully realised triple disc concept album, like what Scar Symmetry are doing, could become the thing which shows that Tate has finally realised that he isn't the only important thing in the world and is happy to make the last part of his career at least worth checking out. Being cynical again for a second, though, I imagine that he's going to basically do what he did with FU, only spread out over three albums. I almost hope he does do this, as it will ultimately prove that there's no real reason to pay attention to him from this point on and that he's learnt absolutely nothing from the whole experience.

I guess the important thing it boils down to is who is going to do the songwriting for the album and the nature of the story. If we've got a concept album of Tate basically raging at having lost the Queensryche name and with the songwriting done by Jason Slater, then I can already say that it's D.O.A. and can look forward to seeing how much snark reviewers of the trilogy can produce (since I have no intention of picking up the trilogy, not even purely for review fodder). However, if the songwriting is handled by the members of Operation: Mindcrime and the concept is based on a rather intelligent story by Tate...then it could actually work out rather well. Maybe not to the level of Queensryche, but certainly to a level where it's actually worth checking out.

So, while I am personally convinced that Tate's trilogy hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of being any good and have no intention of picking it up until I get a lot of solid proof that Tate has changed for the better AND has put actual effort into it, I think that there is the potential for this to be at least interesting...but it all comes down to the songwriting, the story of the album and how much effort everyone puts into it. With the latter already suspect due to the way FU was made and the other two factors unconfirmed at the minute, I'm not holding out much hope, but who knows? Maybe we might learn that Jeff Loomis is writing the album and the story sounds like the kind of thing that could have come right out of an Iced Earth album...(OK, maybe that's a bit unlikely, but I'm trying to come up with an exciting idea that would get me interested in it and that's what springs to mind!)

Shando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
I'll certainly listen to it but I don't have high hopes for it whatsoever.

jjrock88

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
Like Shando, I'll listen to it for sure and go from there.  It would have to be something special for me to buy it though.

Bloodhail

• Was once a Floof in a past life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:19:01 PM »
I think it will be at least interesting.

On one hand, this is the most ambitious thing Geoff has tried in a while, so maybe he realizes he's gonna have to put some serious work into this to make it good. Also, Slater will probably be writing on this one, and his songs in and of themselves aren't too bad. It's what Tate does with them that makes them weaker.

On the other hand, Tate's voice is...Tate's voice. It can't really carry an album anymore and has been the weak link of every album he's put out since 2011. I also worry about the concept itself. Without a guiding hand as quality as DeGarmo's, Tate hasn't been able to weave an interesting story through music in quite a while, as shown most effectively in the confusing and cheesy O:MII.

Honestly, I'm expecting we'll get some albums on par with Frequency Unknown. Decent tunes killed by Tate's haggard vocals and incomprehensible concept. But I will give it a fair listen.

Street Avenger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
I have zero interest in it.

Grappler

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
I'll probably check out any of the officially released songs/videos, but if those don't catch my interest, I definitely won't be buying it. 

Like Nemo Atkins said, this is a big project to take on, and doing it half-assed isn't going to cut it.

Dendroica

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:55 AM »
I'm actually kinda curios about it, and will probably "kick the tires" when it's out....but I have very low expectations about this project's final result.  Very ambitious...perhaps he should make it a "3 EP trilogy", or even better, a 3 minute opus...that way there will probably be just 2 1/2 minutes of filler :P

Hank Wrangler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
If Geoff Tate can get a single album's worth of decent material out of the trilogy, that might be interesting to listen to.

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »
I'll give it a listen out of curiosity, but I honestly don't think Tate has it in him to come up with something that rises above mediocrity. He thinks he's been churning out masterpieces for the last decade, so I have absolutely no confidence that this will be any better.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
I'll give it a listen out of curiosity, but I honestly don't think Tate has it in him to come up with something that rises above mediocrity. He thinks he's been churning out masterpieces for the last decade, so I have absolutely no confidence that this will be any better.

That's funny as shit "He thinks he's been churning out masterpieces for the last decade" and SO true LMAO.

I'm very curious but with low expectations. I could see maybe 3 decent songs in the vein of cold/hands of God and weight of the world on each of the three. Based on his description of it, it sounds like its going to be a very peculiar musical landscape with regional world music atmospheres from different cultures etc, which I find very odd that that current band could pull off such a thing, time will tell.   
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »
   I look forward to it, even though I'm against the name of the band. It just reeks of desperation! Perhaps he'll change it in the "11th hour" (  ;D ). Having said that, like anything else I buy, I'll simply listen to a "single" first and then I'll decide if I want it. Most likely though, loyalty will win out over curiosity. I wish Geoff all the best with it (  8) ).

lmu2002

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 03:34:31 AM »
I wonder what the actual concept is that needs to span over three albums. Can't think of any  :-\

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
The idea and concept seems cool, but my expectations to the execution of the project aren't exactly great.
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

22 Acacia Ave

• QR+TLT=QR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
No thanks! I'm done with Tate. And Setzer's profile pic above, is a prime example of why.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:35:32 PM by 22 Acacia Ave »