Author Topic: 2020 Rockers We Lost (deaths in the world of Rock and Roll)  (Read 1421 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Rockers We Lost (deaths in the world of Rock and Roll)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 02:19:24 AM »
Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne and Tinted Windows, from Coronavirus complicati9ns.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/adam-schlesinger-coronavirus-dead-dies-1203552130/

I guess he was he the first casualty in the world of rock music?. I don't believe I've seen any others. I did see there was, I think a country performer and a jazz performer. I'm sure there will be more unfortunately. Adam was only what 52, that was not good to see. Not a good sign, the whole classic rock genre is now well into their 60's with a lot in their 70's.

I looked into that, to see how many music performers have died from the covid19 stuff or complications thereof. There are a handful. aside from Adam Schlesinger the only other one I have heard of is John Prine the country singer he was 73 and passed away on April 7th of complications from Covid19.

Others who have died of Covid19 or as a result of complications from it are listed below.

Manu Dibango: (3/24/20 age 86) Jazz/Funk performer from Cameroon.
Joe Diffie: (3/27/20 age 61) American country singer
Lou "L.A." Kouvaris: (3/28/20 age 66) guitarist from Riot (1975-1978)

Alan Merrill: (3/29/20 age 69) vocalist/guitarist with the band Arrow, he wrote and recorded the original version of I Love Rock and Roll later a hit by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, he also played with Rick Derringer later on.

Christina: (3/31/20 age 64) American singer and songwriter in the 70's and 80's blending punk, disco and new wave in the NY region, paving the wave for contemporaries Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.

Patrick Gibson: (4/4/20 age 64) member of the Gibson Brothers, a French disco band active in the late 70's and early 80's.

Christophe: (4/16/20 age 74) French singer, songwriter and performer active from 1963-2020.

Mathew Seligman: (4/17/20 age 64) English bass guitarist in the new wave music scene of the eighties as a member of The Soft Boys and The Thompson Twins, a sideman for Thomas Dolby and performed in David Bowie's backing band at Live Aid. 

Also non covid19 related,
Steve Farmer (rhythm guitar/vocals) of The Amboy Dukes died on 4/7/20 age 71. He wrote the hit Journey To The Center of The Mind and performed with Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes on their first three albums (The Amboy Dukes, Journey To The Center Of The Mind, and Migration) all released in the late sixties.

https://bestclassicbands.com/steve-farmer-amboy-dukes-dead-4-11-20/
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Kraftwerk Co-Founder Florian Schneider Dies at Age 73.

Florian Schneider of German electronic band Kraftwerk has died, Billboard has confirmed. He was 73.

In a statement, Kraftwerk co-founder Ralf Hütter confirms “the very sad news that his friend and companion over many decades Florian Schneider has passed away from a short cancer disease just a few days after his 73rd birthday.”

Schneider formed the influential group and multimedia project with Hütter in 1970. Kraftwerk — with its use of electronic instruments that included homemade and custom-built devices — has been widely credited with pioneering electronic music and influencing various genres across the musical spectrum, including hip-hop, synthpop and rock with their soundscapes, experimentation and technical innovations.

The late David Bowie also recognized Schneider’s influence on his own art. On Bowie’s 1977 album Heroes, the iconic artist titled his mostly instrumental track “V-2 Schneider” after the musician.

Schneider — who played the synthesizer, vocoder, flute, sax and more, as well as provided vocals — left the band in 2008 after four decades. During his time with the group, Kraftwerk released 10 studio albums, seven of which charted on the Billboard 200, including 1974’s acclaimed Autobahn, which peaked at No. 5. The record’s title track — inspired by the German highway system — reached No. 25 in 1975 on the Billboard 100. In keeping with the band’s themes of transportation and technology, title track “Trans-Europe Express” — off the group’s sixth album and inspired by the Trans-Europe Express rail system, reached No. 67 in 1978.

Kraftwerk, whose music also highly influenced industrial and dance genres, has tallied eight entries on Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart. Among them are a pair of No. 1s, both in 1987: “Musique Non Stop” and “The Telephone Call (Remix).”

Over their decades of creating music, the band has sold a collective 733,000 copies since the inception of Nielsen Music/MRC Data in 1991. They also won the best dance/electronic album Grammy in 2017 for 3-D The Catalogue, and were honored with the lifetime achievement award in 2014.

Though nominated for the Rock Hall of Fame six times, the influential electronic band has yet to be inducted.

Prior to his death, Kraftwerk had announced that the band would be embarking on a summer tour of North America to celebrate the group’s 50th anniversary. The shows were set to feature the 3-D visuals the band is known for, melding music and robotics. The celebratory shows were canceled due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn (Single version 1974)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukUMRlaBBE

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:20:40 AM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
Former Bad Company lead singer Brian Howe is dead at age 66,

The rocker died at his home in Florida on Wednesday from cardiac arrest, according to a release from his reps.

"It is with deep and profound sadness that we announce the untimely passing of a loving father, friend and musical icon, Brian Howe," his longtime friend and manager, Paul Easton, said.

Added Howe's sister Sandie, "Finding the appropriate words to express the pain in our hearts over losing my brother has been difficult. Our family would like to thank you for your compassion and the outpouring of love we are receiving."

Howe joined U.K. rock band in 1985, replacing Paul Rodgers as lead vocalist at the time. Other members of Bad Company include Mick Ralphs, Howard Leese, Simon Kirke and Todd Ronning. Original bass player Raymond “Boz” Burrell died in September 2006 at age 60, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Also a songwriter, Howe eventually embarked on a solo career, departing from the band in 1994. He went on to release three albums, including 2010's Circus Bar. Howe's most recent single came in 2017, titled "Hot Tin Roof."

Howe was part of the band for their popular 1990 album Holy Water, featuring his vocal talents on songs like "I Can't Live Without You" and "100 Miles."

"No smoke without fire" by Bad Company Featuring Brian Howe     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnsJN_8DfxM
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:19:30 AM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
Little Richard, a founding father of rock & roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Jones Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone. The cause of death was bone cancer, according to his lawyer, Bill Sobel.

Starting with “Tutti Frutti” in 1956, Little Richard cut a series of unstoppable hits – “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up” that same year, “Lucille” in 1957, and “Good Golly Miss Molly” in 1958 – driven by his simple, pumping piano, gospel-influenced vocal exclamations and sexually charged (often gibberish) lyrics. “I heard Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and that was it,” Elton John told Rolling Stone in 1973. “I didn’t ever want to be anything else. I’m more of a Little Richard stylist than a Jerry Lee Lewis, I think. Jerry Lee is a very intricate piano player and very skillful, but Little Richard is more of a pounder.”

Although he never hit the Top 10 again after 1958, Little Richard’s influence was massive. The Beatles recorded several of his songs, including “Long Tall Sally,” and Paul McCartney’s singing on those tracks – and the Beatles’ own “I’m Down” – paid tribute to Little Richard’s shredded-throat style. His songs became part of the rock & roll canon, covered over the decades by everyone from the Everly Brothers, the Kinks, and Creedence Clearwater Revival to Elvis Costello and the Scorpions. “Elvis popularized [rock & roll],” Steven Van Zandt tweeted after the news broke. “Chuck Berry was the storyteller. Richard was the archetype.”

Little Richard’s stage persona – his pompadours, androgynous makeup, and glass-bead shirts — also set the standard for rock & roll showmanship; Prince, to cite one
obvious example, owed a sizable debt to the musician. “Prince is the Little Richard of his generation,” Richard told Joan Rivers in 1989, before looking at the camera and addressing Prince. “I was wearing purple before you was wearing it!”

Little Richard ** Good Golly Miss Molly** (LIVE)     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCYGNtyktlg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:17:50 AM by InnaGaddaDaVida »

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 11:54:17 PM »
Little Richard, a founding father of rock & roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Jones Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone. The cause of death was bone cancer, according to his lawyer, Bill Sobel.

Starting with “Tutti Frutti” in 1956, Little Richard cut a series of unstoppable hits – “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up” that same year, “Lucille” in 1957, and “Good Golly Miss Molly” in 1958 – driven by his simple, pumping piano, gospel-influenced vocal exclamations and sexually charged (often gibberish) lyrics. “I heard Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and that was it,” Elton John told Rolling Stone in 1973. “I didn’t ever want to be anything else. I’m more of a Little Richard stylist than a Jerry Lee Lewis, I think. Jerry Lee is a very intricate piano player and very skillful, but Little Richard is more of a pounder.”

Although he never hit the Top 10 again after 1958, Little Richard’s influence was massive. The Beatles recorded several of his songs, including “Long Tall Sally,” and Paul McCartney’s singing on those tracks – and the Beatles’ own “I’m Down” – paid tribute to Little Richard’s shredded-throat style. His songs became part of the rock & roll canon, covered over the decades by everyone from the Everly Brothers, the Kinks, and Creedence Clearwater Revival to Elvis Costello and the Scorpions. “Elvis popularized [rock & roll],” Steven Van Zandt tweeted after the news broke. “Chuck Berry was the storyteller. Richard was the archetype.”

Little Richard’s stage persona – his pompadours, androgynous makeup, and glass-bead shirts — also set the standard for rock & roll showmanship; Prince, to cite one
obvious example, owed a sizable debt to the musician. “Prince is the Little Richard of his generation,” Richard told Joan Rivers in 1989, before looking at the camera and addressing Prince. “I was wearing purple before you was wearing it!”

I knew he was one of the early pioneers of rock and roll and brought a lot of energy and charisma, but reading a lot of the tributes the last couple days, I never knew he was anywhere near as idolized in the business among other musicians as the tributes indicate. Especially in the hard rock and metal community.

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
Guitarist Jorge Santana, the younger brother of Carlos Santana and whose guitar riffs on the band Malo’s 1972 hit “Suavecito” transformed the song into a Chicano anthem, has died. Carlos Santana announced his brother’s death on his Facebook page Friday. 5/14/2020. He was 68. “We take time to celebrate the magnificent spirit of our beloved brother, Jorge,” Carlos Santana wrote.

“He transitioned unto the realm of light that cast no shadow the eyes of my heart clearly see him right in between our glorious and magnificent mother Josefina and our father Jose.” Jorge Santana died Thursday of natural causes, the family said.

Born in Jalisco, Mexico, Jorge Santana began playing guitar following his brother’s footsteps. He joined a San Francisco-based band that would later become Malo, which means “bad” in Spanish. According to band legend, the group got its name after the mother of its lead signer told them, “todos ustedes son malos,” translating into English, “all of you are bad.” Their 1972 hit “Suavecito,” a tune released during the apex of the Chicano Movement, became a staple for Mexican American cookouts, weddings and quinceaneras for generations throughout the American Southwest.

Its laid-back pace and bilingual lyrics came to signify Southern California. The song remains one of the most requested on the Art Laboe Connection, a syndicated-oldies show out of Palm Springs, California, where D.J. Laboe, 94, allows family members of loved ones in prison send messages through dedications. Malo made three albums before a highly publicized breakup.

Santana later played with the New York-based salsa collective Fania All-Stars. He was one of the few Mexican Americans in a project that included Puerto Ricans and Cuban Americans. Santana would embark on a solo career. He joined his brother, Carlos, on tour in 1993.
Malo - Suavecito       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmTNKNcGOQU
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:15:41 AM by InnaGaddaDaVida »