Author Topic: Music Releases to be Globally Released on Fridays  (Read 2014 times)

Grappler

Music Releases to be Globally Released on Fridays
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/retail/6487290/industry-sets-friday-as-global-record-release-day

"Music fans live in the digital world of today," wrote IFPI head Frances Moore. "Their love for new music doesn't recognise national borders. They want music when it's available on the internet -- not when it's ready to be released in their country. An aligned global release day puts an end to the frustration of not being able to access releases in their country when the music is available in another country."

I like the fact that albums will only have one global release date, and the industry once again is way behind the times.   Apparently the early European release dates were to help buying the local version and not the American import, which was cheaper.  This should help to combat some piracy, but the reality is that if consumers feel that piracy is an acceptable practice, one release date won't stop them from illegally obtaining the record. 

Friday seems like a strange release day though, having been so used to Tuesdays for so long.  I remember going to the campus record store in college on Monday nights at midnight to buy new releases and staying up way too late listening to them instead of getting sleep for class the next morning.

Lucretia

• View Profile
Re: Music Releases to be Globally Released on Fridays
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
Friday makes sense from a financial standpoint, though, because that's pay day for a lot of people--at least, it is in the U.S.

I know one thing--this will make updating the running list of new releases a lot easier!

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
I dig it.

When I used to work at a record store, we'd always get Tuesday's new release shipment on Saturdays, which would then be received and priced the same day. Since Saturday was always our busiest day, it was kind of a pain having to deal with that shipment in addition to all the customers.

Moving the new release day to Friday means that large shipment is received earlier in the week when stores are probably alot quieter. So it'd be easier for employees to get that work done and then it frees them up to help customers on the weekend.

For those few brick and mortar stores that are still around, mind ya.
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

Grappler

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:17 PM »
When I used to work at a record store, we'd always get Tuesday's new release shipment on Saturdays, which would then be received and priced the same day. Since Saturday was always our busiest day, it was kind of a pain having to deal with that shipment in addition to all the customers.

Moving the new release day to Friday means that large shipment is received earlier in the week when stores are probably alot quieter. So it'd be easier for employees to get that work done and then it frees them up to help customers on the weekend.

For those few brick and mortar stores that are still around, mind ya.

Excellent insight!   I had a few local stores that would put the new releases out when they received them, rather than hold them until the following Tuesday.  Sadly, those independent stores have closed over the past 10 years.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Was there an explanation as to why Tuesdays were picked as new release days? Was it some kinda fiscal thing? I didn't read the Billboard article - blocked at work. I wonder if it was more to drum up business in the middle of a slow week for these stores, like how movie theatres have cheap Tuesdays.
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

Grappler

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »
Was there an explanation as to why Tuesdays were picked as new release days? Was it some kinda fiscal thing? I didn't read the Billboard article - blocked at work. I wonder if it was more to drum up business in the middle of a slow week for these stores, like how movie theatres have cheap Tuesdays.

That's exactly it, according to an August 2014 article that was linked in the Billboard article above.  Devout music fans buy on release day, the general fans wait until Friday/payday.  Tuesday releases were a way to boost sales on weekdays and also spread them out across the week.

Digital retailers prefer Friday releases, retailers preferred Tuesday releases.

Bloodhail

• Was once a Floof in a past life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
This should have been done years ago. Staggered release dates in this day and age, just...there is absolutely no reason for them. Good that they're taking these steps.