Author Topic: Scorpions / Queensryche - Fall 2015 Tour  (Read 15293 times)

Grappler

Scorpions / Queensryche - Fall 2015 Tour
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
Just saw this pop up on the Queensryche Facebook page:

QUEENSRYCHE WILL HEAD OUT ON THE ROAD THIS FALL AS SPECIAL GUEST STAR TO THE SCORPIONS! PARTIAL DATES LISTED BELOW AND WE WILL UPDATE AS SHOWS GO ON SALE AND MORE SHOWS ARE ADDED:

9/10 Boston, MA Blue Hills Bank Pavilion

9/12 Brooklyn, NY Barclay’s Arena

9/13 Gilford, NH Meadowbrook

9/18 Toronto, ON Molson Canadian Amphitheatre

9/19 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

9/22 Columbus, OH LC Pavilion

9/23 Cleveland, OH Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica

9/25 Windsor, ON Caesar’s Windsor

9/26 Chicago, IL Allstate Arena

10/1 San Jose, CA SAP Center

10/3 Los Angeles, CA The Forum

Here's a link to the Chicago show info.  Nice to see them in an arena and closer to the city proper, rather than the two shows that they've played out in the suburbs where I live.

http://www.bandsintown.com/event/9427248?artist=Queensr%C3%BFche&came_from=23&fb_ref=Default

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:41:26 PM by Grappler »

Deathless

• View Profile
Re: Scorpions / Queensryche - Fall 2015 Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
All arena shows right? It's great exposure for the guys. Awesome!

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The Rche
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:33 PM »
Ya, I agree that this is some great exposure. I know some people don't like the idea of QR touring with an 80's hard rock type band, but I think this is a pretty good decision since the Scorps do have a pretty good following here and will draw pretty good sized crowds. Now, my dad and I just need a Minnesota date so he can finally see the Scorps for his first time as well as QR with Todd for both of us!
Countdown to Iron Maiden in concert!: http://tinyurl.com/zgc426t
Site Designer and Product Promotions for: http://www.lightupfun.com/
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/​
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

RoushRycher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:50:29 AM »
This may be part of the reason the previously announced dates were done piece-meal.  Good for them!
Magnetize what you conceptualize beause your thoughts become things. Ths is the Law of Attraction. -TLT

Stifle the Fear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
Excellent news. The Scorps still draw big crowds and this will be a nice double bill for the fans of both groups.

I'm sure there are many people like me out there who love both bands and can't wait to see these shows.

Grappler

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »
Excellent news. The Scorps still draw big crowds and this will be a nice double bill for the fans of both groups.

I'm sure there are many people like me out there who love both bands and can't wait to see these shows.

And the Scorpions continue to release new music, despite their attempt at retiring.  They don't just go and churn out the hits year after year after year.  Yeah, most people would go to see them to hear those hits (myself included), but at least they continue to move forward and aren't completely stuck in the past.

I believe the show that QR ditched just after the split with Geoff was a one-off show to open for the Scorpions...it's nice to see them get the opening slot for a full tour.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • WR Party
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »
The LA Forum is no slouch of a venue either!  Hope that is indicative of the exposure they have the potential to acquire.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
It's a good slot for them, to be sure. The Scorps have been around forever, and go beyond the hair metal crowd, so they'll get some good exposure to old school metal fans that may not have heard the band with Todd. It won't get them in front of a younger audience, but at least it'll get them into markets they haven't played yet.

Deathless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
It's a good slot for them, to be sure. The Scorps have been around forever, and go beyond the hair metal crowd, so they'll get some good exposure to old school metal fans that may not have heard the band with Todd. It won't get them in front of a younger audience, but at least it'll get them into markets they haven't played yet.

Not to mention the always discussed money angle. I'm not sure what the exact number will be, they should get a great guarantee playing arenas and the large sheds etc.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
I know some people don't like the idea of QR touring with an 80's hard rock type band, but I think this is a pretty good decision since the Scorps do have a pretty good following here and will draw pretty good sized crowds.

True, Scorpions certainly isn't the kind of relevant band people have been wanting QR to play alongside, but who cares. This would be a great show with a big crowd.

AnybodyListening.net

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
I think the tour is good for exposure. The Scorpions aren't really my thing (don't dislike them, but don't like them really either), but they have a fan base that transcends the hair metal crowd and more classic hard rock.

So overall, I think it's a good plan.

I don't think the band gets a pass for doing fly-in piecemeal dates, however, as has been suggested earlier in the thread. That's a money-making strategy that is good in the short term, but undermines the long term growth of the band.

However, that said, considering the band probably won't make that much opening for the Scorpions (openers usually don't get a lot, even supporting huge acts), doing the fly-ins hopefully have padded their accounts so they can afford to do it.

Also, with a new album being released in the summer (presumably), this is good exposure for it (IF THE BAND CONCENTRATES ONLY PLAYING NEW MATERIAL, WHICH THEY NEED TO DO) particularly if the band is going to do further dates in the fall/winter and continuing into 2016.

However, if QR doesn't do its OWN U.S. HEADLINE TOUR OF CLUBS/small theaters, they really are doing themselves a disservice, in my opinion. Again I say -- if Iced Earth, Fates Warning and others of that ilk are doing it, and surviving/growing, why can't QR?

Of course they can. They are choosing not to, which I believe continues to be a mistake.

But overall, this Scorps tour is a good thing for them, exposure-wise, and I wish them success. Hopefully they get more than the customary 30 minutes or 45 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:41:53 PM by AnybodyListening.net »

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The Rche
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »
However, if QR doesn't do its OWN U.S. HEADLINE TOUR OF CLUBS/small theaters, they really are doing themselves a disservice, in my opinion. Again I say -- if Iced Earth, Fates Warning and others of that ilk are doing it, and surviving/growing, why can't QR?

Of course they can. They are choosing not to, which I believe continues to be a mistake.
But the upcoming March/April/May headline dates are turning out to be enough to be the equivalent of a full headline tour so in the end, it all evens out for the most part.
Countdown to Iron Maiden in concert!: http://tinyurl.com/zgc426t
Site Designer and Product Promotions for: http://www.lightupfun.com/
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/​
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

RoushRycher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »
Everyone has their own opinions on what the band should be doing, and that's great.  But in the end, the band has to be satisfied with the opportunities they are being given and the ones they are taking.  I would think we all want them to be successful.  Personally, I think touring with the Scorpions is bigger than touring with Dream Theater because I think the Scorpions have a wider fan base.  That's my opinion.  It may not seem like a "perfect pairing" of genres, but to me, it's very cool.  And who knows, there may be other things in the works that haven't been announced yet.  Time will tell.
Magnetize what you conceptualize beause your thoughts become things. Ths is the Law of Attraction. -TLT

New Reign

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
Everyone has their own opinions on what the band should be doing, and that's great.  But in the end, the band has to be satisfied with the opportunities they are being given and the ones they are taking.  I would think we all want them to be successful.  Personally, I think touring with the Scorpions is bigger than touring with Dream Theater because I think the Scorpions have a wider fan base.  That's my opinion.  It may not seem like a "perfect pairing" of genres, but to me, it's very cool.  And who knows, there may be other things in the works that haven't been announced yet.  Time will tell.

Well, touring with DT probably gets them in front of a more targeted demographic if you will but it's not like they CHOSE to tour with the Scorps instead of DT. We don't know what opportunities are out there and what aren't. The Scorpions tour is almost unquestionably good. They cross a lot of the subgenres...partially classic rock, partially NWoBHM, partially glam (IMO).

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation.
    • View Profile
    • WR Party
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
The Scorps have a very long career, and therefore a very loyal fanbase.  There is a period of time where QR & the Scorps shared in part of an era, and despite the usual "hairband" typecast of that era, the rest of the Scorps catalog is viable, as is much of QR's outside of the 80's era.  I think this is a step in the right direction, and I agree with Brian on the US Headlining tour idea.  They still have damage control to attend to  in the U.S. in the wake of what Tate did under the QR brand under his own club/theater tour.  It doesn't mean that they are relegated to tour clubs forever, it's a means to an end.

After doing an arena tour with the Scorps, they then have an opportunity to fill clubs that were otherwise only partially attended to by the Tate crowd, and in doing so, claim the victory over those markets that were divided on the lawsuit issue & maybe even win back some fans that were loyal to Tate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:41:17 AM by TonyFlyingSquirrel »
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing...