Author Topic: The Sex Pistols  (Read 377 times)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
The Sex Pistols
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
The Sex Pistols were an English punk rock band that formed in London in 1975. They were responsible for initiating the punk movement in the United Kingdom and inspiring many later punk and alternative rock musicians. Although their initial career lasted just two and a half years and produced only four singles and one studio album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, they are regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of popular music.

The Sex Pistols originally comprised vocalist Johnny Rotten (John Lydon), guitarist Steve Jones, drummer Paul Cook and bassist Glen Matlock. Matlock was replaced by Sid Vicious in early 1977. Under the management of Malcolm McLaren, the band attracted controversies that both captivated and appalled Britain. Through an obscenity-laced television interview in December 1976 and their May 1977 single "God Save the Queen", attacking Britons' social conformity and deference to the Crown, they precipitated the punk rock movement.

In January 1978, at the end of an over-hyped and turbulent tour of the United States, Rotten announced the band's break-up. Over the next few months, the three remaining band members recorded songs for McLaren's film version of the Sex Pistols' story, The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle. Vicious died of a heroin overdose in February 1979, following his arrest for the alleged murder of his girlfriend.

Rotten, Jones, Cook and Matlock briefly reunited for a concert tour in 1996. On 24 February 2006, the Sex Pistolsóthe four original members plus Viciousówere inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but they refused to attend the ceremony, calling the museum "a piss stain".

The Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBojbjoMttI

Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02D2T3wGCYg

SEX PISTOLS - NO FEELINGS     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiGR0iuTUo

Sex Pistols - Holiday In The Sun    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWF9MMxnekQ

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: The Sex Pistols
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:20:31 AM »
I've never been a real big fan of punk rock, I like a little bit, The Clash to name one of my favorites. This band though has to be the most over-rated band in music history, or damn close to it. I get it , they were very influential. But my god they had like 1/5 the total recorded output of the likes of Guns and Roses and Nirvana, and they got in the fuckin Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  ::) Iron Butterfly to name just one was pretty god damn influential in their own right for progressive rock, heavy metal, stoner rock and happened to break the all time album sales record at the time with Ina Gadda Da Vida and be awarded the first ever platinum album award, not to mention they released five more albums than the Sex Pistols and I highly doubt Iron Butterfly will ever get in.  :o just sayin....  8)

I'm not saying they don't deserve recognition or a thread on here or anything of the like, just that they are extremely over-rated in the grand scheme of things.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

InnaGaddaDaVida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
I don't have a problem with the Sex Pistols being in The Rock Hall of Fame even
though all your points are valid. My biggest problem with the Rock Hall of Fame is that Iron Butterfly is not and I believe that they do belong as well as the Prog Rock bands
that have been overlooked.

Eye9

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
They were more of a gimmick band than anything else. Sid vicious didn't even play his own bass parts on the album as he had only been playing bass for a few weeks when he joined. Steve jones played all the bass parts on the record except for Anarchy in the UK. Sid was chosen for his looks and persona. Can't deny their influence on firing up the whole punk scene though.