Author Topic: Would you ever wash your hands and walk away from supporting a band/singer?  (Read 367 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
With the latest rumor/wild suppostion that Scott Rockenfield may be working with Geoff Tate, someone commented on the thread at DTF that if this was true, they would wash their hands of anything the bands were involved in. 

Have any of you ever done that?

I got fed up with Ozzy.  I still listen to the first two Blizzard Of Ozz albums as well as much of his material from his first run with Black Sabbath.  But with the c u next tuesday that he sold his soul to, I just reached a point where I didnt want to support a caricature of what I remembered. 

He goes along with that witch fucking over songwriters and members who made him a success (Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake, Jake E Lee).  Rerecording the bass and drum tracks for rereleases of Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman in 2002.  That fucking abomination of the reality show.  The treatment of support bands on Ozzfest.  The incident with Iron Maiden in California at the end of the Ozzfest tour was my last straw.  I won't support anything to do with Ozzy anymore.  Just cant do it.

Rockox

• View Profile
Nah, I don't think I've ever done that. Mostly because I don't care that much. In my 20s I may have because I thought I stood for something or thought I had integrity or whatever, but now? Fuck off, I'll support something I may not completely like, I'll shop at Wal-Mart, I'll eat at McDonald's, I'm part of the problem.  ;D
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
I still follow Ozzy but to a much, much lesser degree. I skipped the Sabbath farewell tour, partially because ward wasn't involved, partially due to Ozzy's declining vocals and just have lost interest. His idiot wife, the reality show, and the business end of things had nothing to do with it.

I personally could care less about the business angle of the bands and their personnel and inner squabbling. That has no bearing on me whatsoever. As in the Tate/Queensryche situation. I had about had it to be honest after DTC with the direction of Queensryche under Geoff's control and I was happy to see him kicked out and Todd brought in. It was all for the better. I didn't harbor the resentment toward Tate from a personal standpoint, I don't know those guys. I still bought Frequency Unknown (although I thought his album cover was fucking lame) and enjoyed the record, I saw his tour for it. I bought the first two trilogy albums, and will buy the third.

I will also go see his Mindcrime show when it comes up the east coast. So if Rockenfield is in fact drumming. Then I guess I'll see Scott too (although if that is the case I will lose some respect for the guy As A Person, if he goes back and joins the guy that ruined their band, spit on and assaulted them) Yes I will. I'll lose a lot of respect. But I'll go. Cause I don't want to regret later that I didn't.

When I walk away from a band it is clearly due to the level of performance.

Great White with the new singer: Don't like it
Dokken: vocals are garbage
Iron Butterfly: no classic members left
Alice In Chains with Duvall: Don't like it
Whitesnake; Coverdale is washed up

But that is just turning away from the current situations, My money is better spent on bands putting out a good record or putting on a better show. I still like those  bands and will read articles and look at you tube stuff to give it a chance.

Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
Normally you dont hear the business side of an artist but Ozzy's spouse likes the limelight way more than Ozzy does and she's even more evil than her old man was and he was an old school break your legs manager in the UK.  admitting to throwing eggs at a band she hired to special guest on Ozzfest, having one of her goon assistants speak over the PA during their set and then having the power cut to the PA several times during their set tells you a lot about her.  I still listen to the Ozzy sung stuff I think holds up well. 

I agree with you on the other bands you listed.  Have seen Great White twice with Terry Ilous on vocals, he's a good singer, just doesnt click for me.  Granted I wasnt a big fan of theirs before Jack left/was fired.  Don Dokken has an empty field of fucks to give.  Has for years.  Every once in awhile he can sound OK but its on a song by song basis.  Never was big into Iron Butterfly.  I've said elsewhere that Coverdale should go the Ian Anderson route and hire a singer to sing the songs and he can just be the emcee.  I'd pay to see that for sure.  Alice In Chains with Duvall is like Foghat with Huhn to me.  Lonesome Dave's vocals were like a train hurtling down a mountain side, wheels on the outside of the curves coming off the tracks.  Huhn doesnt have that desperation in his voice and thats what I love most about Foghat.  Duvall is in a similar boat in regards to replacing Layne Staley.  Layne had the best voice of the grunge singers.  There was a fire and angst there that you cant replicate.  Duvall is a great singer but so much of AIC for me was Staley's voice and how he sang.  I enjoyed them with Duvall but wont go out of my way to see them.

livgrnfan

• View Profile

Great White with the new singer: Don't like it
Dokken: vocals are garbage
Iron Butterfly: no classic members left
Alice In Chains with Duvall: Don't like it
Whitesnake; Coverdale is washed up

Agreed with all but Alice in Chains.  I don't like how Duvall sings most of Layne's material, but I love both Black Gives Way to Blue and The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.

As for walking away from a band permanently, I could only do that if a member was guilty of a heinous crime like that infantophile from LostProphets.  Of course in that case the rest of the band walked away permanently as well.

radardude65

• View Profile
Bret Michaels really disgusted me at Rocklahoma in 2011.  He had his own tour bus emblazoned with a full ad wrap for his solo band and his bandannaed guy lined mug on both sides top to bottom.  Then 10 minutes before their set time, here comes his voice over the pa pimping his Cruise Of Love.  Just feel bad for the other guys in poison when this clown holds them.hostage to play shows as Poison.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
I don't know what it is with these guys all trying to cross over into Country music also. Brett, Aaron Lewis, Tommy Keifer, Steven Tyler. Keiffer is holding Cinderella  hostage in the same way supposedly due to Jeff LaBarr's alcohol issues. Not sure what Brett's deal is but probably ego and his country crossover enthusiasm. Both of those bands have the majority rule if they wanted to can those singers due to preventing them from making a living playing the material they created, but both I guess know how difficult those two would be to replace in their respective bands. But that is all probably an entirely different topic of conversation.