Author Topic: Underrated rock guitarists or some who would make great rock guitarists  (Read 527 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
I always thought this would have been a good That Metal Show Topic.

Richard Williams (Kansas)- When you consider he's kept down the guitar parts from a two guitar lineup by himself from 89 thru to 2016 in a band that is known for its technical progressive arrangements is incredible.  Some of my favorite rock riffs are from him. 

Craig Chaquico (Jefferson Starship)- Before this band made a hard turn to pop music in the mid 80's, I think Craig's playing was some of the best rock guitar of the late 70's early 80's.  His solo on Save Your Love from Modern Times is still one of my favorites.  Great warm tone on a solo with lots of feeling.

Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)-yeah they caught a lot of heat for the metal grammy (not like they put themselves in the category nor chose to win it) but Barre is a great hard rock guitarist.  Some of the riffs he's had from Aqualung up thru their late 80's output are great and among my favorites.

Brad Paisley-One of country music's best guitarists, I'd love to hear what he could do with a Les Paul and a Marshall stack.  Got some hints during a solo section he did at a festival show last year. 

Keith Urban-another country guitarist that gives you flashes of what he might sound like backing a rock band when you see him live.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Re: Underrated rock guitarists or some who would make great rock guitarists
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
Never thought of it that way but Richard Williams has done an outstanding job in that role for years now with Kansas.

From a progressive standpoint also Alan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, Andrew Latimer from Camel, and Jan Akkerman come to mind.

Hard rock/heavy metal, DeGarmo and Wilton, Jim Matheos Fates Warning, Ross the boss Manowar, Buck Dharma, Mick Mars, Chris Oliva, Rick Emmett   

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
Manny Charlton: Nazareth, Zal Clemenson:Alex Harvey Band, George Kooymans:Golden Earring, Alex Nelson: Lizzy Borden, Paul Chapman :UFO/Lone Star/Waysted
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
Alvin Lee from Ten Years After
Gary Moore
Billy Gibbons ZZ Top
Randy Bachman Guess Who/BTO
Joe Walsh Eagles/James gang
Terry Kath Chicago
Mark Farner Grand Funk
Leslie West Mountain
Steve Miller

All well regarded but all should be household names mentioned along with the premier names in my opinion.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
I throw Terry Kath's name out a lot to folks and unfortunately a lot of folks dont realize what an awesome band Chicago was in their day before his death.  Raw emotion in his playing good singer to boot. still annoys me that Cetera and David Foster turned them into a backing band for Cetera.
Make Me Smile Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btq4MnwvQgM

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:14 PM »
Check out the Chicago thread in 70's classic rock. Kath is one of my all time favorites. Agree they became Cetera's backing band, then simply a horn section. Terry, Danny, Robert and Pete (when he rocked) ruled that band! 

Craig Chaquico is another awesome one. Great player. Love that run of Jefferson Starship records. Sadly, I never got to see him live with them.

Mark Farner absolutely, Grand Funk is rock and roll royalty in my book. And of course Gary Moore and Leslie West.   

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
I'll add Ronni Le Tekro from TNT. Bad ass guitarist! Very Under-rated.
TNT : Tell No Tales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDwXcD0OCU
not a bad singer there either  8)