Author Topic: Rock Meets Classic  (Read 245 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
Rock Meets Classic
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
Wasn't sure where to plug this in so here it is lol

Rock Meets Classic is a now annual spring tour that goes thru mainly Germany with shows in Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic.  It's a rock band (mainly Mat Sinner's solo band (he's involved with Primal Fear amongst other German bands)) with a 30 piece orchestra and backing singers supporting four to six famous singers/artists. 

The show I saw in 2016 featured Joey Tempest (Europe), Steve Walsh (Kansas), Midge Ure (Ultravox), Scott Gorham & Ricky Warwick (Thin Lizzy), Andy Scott and Pete Lincoln (Sweet), and Dan McCafferty (Nazereth) with Doro as a special guest. 

The orchestra and backing band are pretty tight.  Format is most of the artists will  do one or two of their songs in the first half of the show, an intermission, then one or two more in the second half.  Joey Tempest was the top billed so he did four songs to close out the second half and then the encore is a jam on say Zep's Rock and Roll. 

I liked the concept and the number of artists I wanted to see made it worth my while and money to see it.  Steve Walsh was the big surprise on the bill.  One of his first things he did after he left Kansas a few years ago.  I'd been a Midge Ure fan for years and had never gotten to see him before this show.  I liked Ricky Warwick with The Almighty and his solo material and thought he was a good choice to sing for Thin Lizzy and later Black Star Riders.  Sweet was always a guilty pleasure of mine and had seen Steve Priest's version back in 2010 at a festival in the US so seeing the other half do some songs was good.   Better than Priest's version by far but this version tours extensively.  Was never a big Nazareth fan but I thought McCafferty did good with the two songs he did from their catalouge.  Doro is always a treat.  Just a great performer and always happy and smiling on stage and gives 100% every show.  Joey Tempest was as good as I expected.  I really enjoy their later material after they reformed in the 2000's.  The jam session was a better train wreck than they usually are.  Wasnt able to make last years and this  years just didnt have the pull for me to drop the money on it.  Good show if you want to see artists do their hits with an orchestra.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Re: Rock Meets Classic
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
That sounds pretty cool. With the right assembly of singers that would be a pretty cool type of show, I could give or take the orchestra though, I'd rather have that be a full on rock thing or maybe unplugged thing.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Very cool concept, but i too am not much for orchestra music. I would prefer it in the rock context but I would up for tours like that here.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
Dude, you had me at Joey Tempest.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.