Author Topic: Best Concert You've Ever Attended  (Read 418 times)

radardude65

• View Profile
Best Concert You've Ever Attended
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Mine is still J Geils Band with George Thorogood opening at Madison Square Garden 20 Feb 1982.  It was J Geils' birthday. Some fans brought cakes and presents which got passed up on stage.  If you've never been to MSG it used to have a walkway in the arena bowl about a third of the way up from the floor.  Thorogood gets up on this and solos his way all the way around the arena.  Then J Geils came out and played and jammed almost till midnite.  The Garden used to have an 11PM curfew. Every minute past that time cost thousands of dollars in union OT for the stagehands.  After the second encore the roadies come up to take down the gear and the band comes back out.  Two more songs, band leaves again.  Peter Wolf is heading up the stairs for a fourth encore when someone just picked him up and carried him back to the dressing room.  I've been to a lot of shows (probably over 700) and have never seen anything like this one.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Re: Best Concert You've Ever Attended
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
Pink Floyd 1988 Momentary Lapse tour. The only time I got to see the band and that show was phenomenal. Van Halen 5150 tour was also a great one and an honorable mention would be the Scorpions Love at first sting tour, and the Page/Plant tour. Hard to pick just one  8)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:45:09 PM »
Only time to see Pink Floyd was Feb 1980 at Nassau Coliseum.  Tried three times to see them after they reformed, had tix each time, and got tagged for work travel each time.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
we gotta open this one up a little bit. It's damn near impossible to pick one, at least for me.

I've seen Thorogood, but never saw J Geils Band, but Showtime is a cool live disc.

Best ever, I list a few that would be at the top of my list.
Grateful Dead  "Touch of Grey tour"
Rush "Power Windows tour"
AC/DC "Ballbreaker tour"
Deep Purple "House of blue light tour"
Paul McCartney "early 90's show forget the tour"
Eagles "Hell freezes over tour"   

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:30:48 PM »
Judas Priest/Iron Maiden 1982 MSG

Rammstein 2011 Las Vegas

Aerosmith/Pat Travers 1983 Brendan Byrne Arena (Travers was on fire and Aerosmith was without Perry and Whitford and Tyler was strung out as hell)

Ozzy/Joe Perry Project/Def Leppard 1981 Nassau Coliseum

The Who/The Clash/David Johansen 1982 Shea Stadium

Aerosmith/Ted Nugent 1986 MSG

U2/The Alarm 1983 Pier 84

Vintage Trouble (opened for the Who) 2012 MSG

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »
I have to say KISS on the Revenge club tour in April 1992. To this day they've NEVER sounded better live...since or after. The MUSIC did the talking, and rightly so. An all-out blast. Good times.  :)

Having said that, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour (10/21/89) at the L.A. Coliseum. Guns N' Roses and Living Colour opened a record four-night stand that has YET to be duplicated by ANYONE. I went the third night, it was INSANE! Close to 80,000 people in attendance.

At home the night before, my brother and I also saw what ended up being the FINAL Phoenix show of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Then we drove to L.A. for the Stones. Great weekend indeed!  :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »
Agree on KISS Revenge club tour.  I was home on leave to NYC and completely concur it was the best sounding KISS show I'd seen before or since. 

Saw Steel Wheels tour at Shea Stadium.  There was an African drum troupe that opened the night probably 30 drummers on different percussion sounded amazing.  Then Living Colour kicked ass then the Stones.

Saw the Stones a few years later with Seal opening in Oakland Coliseum and was blown away by the soundsystem.  I've been to concert halls that didnt sound as good as that show sounded in a baseball stadium.

Last time to see SRV was at Cotton Bowl sandwiched between the Who and Fabulous Thunderbirds.  Was hoping that the Vaughn Brothers would jam during either of the sets being in DFW and all but sadly no.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
Judas Priest/Iron Maiden 1982 MSG

Rammstein 2011 Las Vegas

Aerosmith/Pat Travers 1983 Brendan Byrne Arena (Travers was on fire and Aerosmith was without Perry and Whitford and Tyler was strung out as hell)

Ozzy/Joe Perry Project/Def Leppard 1981 Nassau Coliseum

The Who/The Clash/David Johansen 1982 Shea Stadium

Aerosmith/Ted Nugent 1986 MSG

U2/The Alarm 1983 Pier 84

Vintage Trouble (opened for the Who) 2012 MSG

82 Priest & Maiden together at that point in time had to be Killer, thoroughly jealous.

I saw that Aerosmith /Nugent Done with mirrors tour in 86 that show kicked ass.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
I have to say KISS on the Revenge club tour in April 1992. To this day they've NEVER sounded better live...since or after. The MUSIC did the talking, and rightly so. An all-out blast. Good times.  :)

Having said that, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour (10/21/89) at the L.A. Coliseum. Guns N' Roses and Living Colour opened a record four-night stand that has YET to be duplicated by ANYONE. I went the third night, it was INSANE! Close to 80,000 people in attendance.

At home the night before, my brother and I also saw what ended up being the FINAL Phoenix show of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Then we drove to L.A. for the Stones. Great weekend indeed!  :)

Would have killed to see Stevie Ray live. Very cool that you got a chance to see what ended up being his last tour

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
I'm gonna have to dig out my concert stub binders and rattle off some favorites from over the years, I'd probably have to list at least fifty lol. I've seen so many great ones it's hard to rank them anything shorter than maybe a top forty or fifty shows.

I still say my favorite all time #1 would still be the Queensryche Promised Land tour at Camden Entertainment Center in the front row in the summer of 1995.

I was never the biggest Kiss fan, I saw them twice I think. One was the initial reunion tour with Ace and Peter, the other was I believe the club tour you guys are talking about, mine show was the Trocadero theatre in Philly I'd have to check the date but I believe it was 1992 and I do agree that was a great show. I also saw Frehley's Comet back in the day opening up for somebody at the Spectrum in Philly.

700 concerts Radardude? God Damn  :o Are you counting bar and club non ticketed shows in that total (if so I'm probably at about the 500 or 550 range myself) but if that's major ticketed acts that's a LOT. I'm just over 300 and I thought I'd seen a lot.   
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
Any show that required a ticket to get in and was an artist with an album to their credit for the most part.  Some were at amusement parks where the show was part of the park admission.  Growing up in NYC was a target rich environment with three major arenas, three stadiums and a plethora of theaters and other venues to see artists at.  Mostly all rock and metal but country, pop, jazz artists as well.  I always tried to see bands in my travels with the military (I did 25 years in the Air Force doing aircraft maintenance so got to travel with the aircraft I maintained and we didnt always travel to the sandbox)  and when I was at homestation.  Since I retired I've made concert/shows a priority.  Lived a few years in Salt Lake City which has some great venues.  Have been funemployed mostly since mid 2014 and moved to Frankfurt, Germany area in mid 2015.  I think I average 30-40 shows a year, mostly in my area but do road trips if a band I like isnt coming through this area or spouse wants to see them and local dates don't fit her schedule (Iron Maiden in Estonia and U2 in Dublin are two this year that fit that category). 

Whereabouts in NJ are you?  I flew back there in 2016 for the Rock Carnival in Lakewood mainly for the last Twisted Sister show and to hang with a buddy stationed at McGuire.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
Very Cool, you've been to a lot of shows then lol. I'm just over 300 of actual ticketed major acts, plus numerous bar band shows over the years of local and cover bands, which I don't count in my total unless they were a band of significance. I haven't done much traveling though, so all of my shows have been relegated to NJ, PA, NY, DE, MD, and one trek up to CT.

I've done contractor work at McGuire, Dix, Lakehurst, Earle Naval Weapons, Philly Navy Yard and Naval Depot Station, Aberdeen, and Dover AFB. I'm in South Jersey on the river across from Philly. I gave serious consideration to going to that Rock Carnival with Twisted Sister's farewell, how was that show. There were some other good bands that weekend there I forget who.     

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
There was good and bad with Rock Carnival.  It was at the minor league ball park in Lakewood, nice setup.  Two main stages in the outfield that alternated.  Food trucks and vendors outside the stadium along with two other stages, one of those shared with wrestling.  Friday night was shitty wind and rain earlier on that had the promoters close the outside stages and food truck area.  They initially cancelled one of the main stages as rain flooded the third base stage.  When we got there the only bands that were going to play were BOC and Alice Cooper on the first base stage.  Zakk Sabbath and Clutch were supposed to play third base stage.  Zakk cancelled as their gear was soaked (water and electronics not a good mix).  Clutch decided to go and watched as roadies and setup crew brushed inches of water off that stage and I'll be damned they played after BOC finished.  Alice closed out the night.  All those sets were great.  BOC has Kasim Sultan on bass now and they've been getting the better jam tunes dusted off.  Alice is just a tight show, Nita Strauss is amazing on lead for him.  And you get a great stage show for you money. 

Saturday was breezy and a bit drizzly but everything was up and running.  Many folks I guess gave up after the Friday fiasco even if they had weekend tickets.  My friend told me when we met up at a bar in Lakewood that he had heard the show was canx'ed for Friday evening but my attitude was I flew here from Europe lets fucking drive out there lol.  So not a huge crowd.  Mostly stayed with main stage bands in the stadium.  I purchased a VIP package which gave four tokens I think to do meet and greets with bands of my choosing (Headliners didnt participate with this one and some had their own packages).  Ended up with six tokens somehow lol. 

Jackyl, Texas Hippie Coalition, Punky Meadows (Angel guitarist), Ace Frehley, Daughtry, Overkill, Zebra (side stage outside stadium) and Twisted Sister were the bands I saw sets from.  Ace was sloppy as hell on guitar and, while he was never a great singer, he mostly just talks now.  But he'll still draw a crowd cause he's Ace.  Punky Meadows just looks creepy, too much plastic surgery botox too tan.  But was cool to hear the Angel tunes live.  Jackyl always puts on a fun live show always worth seeing. And if you have 4-5k, they'll play your backyard bbq (not kidding on that).  THC is another good band to see, saw them a lot when I lived in Oklahoma and was going there for training 2009-2014.  Overkill was great as usual, Blitz is one of the most underrated singers.  I'd of rather seen them in the Big 4 instead of Slayer.  I felt bad for Zebra as they were stuck on a very small stage outside.  Lots of great memories of seeing them in the late 70's early 80s on the tri state club circuit.  Great musicians and Randy Jackson still has a good voice. Twisted Sister kicked ass.  Lots of energy from Dee, his voice is phenomenal for being in his mid 60's.  Kind of sad seeing them wrap it up.  Jay Jay was a master at engineering them into the festival headliner they became outside the US once they reformed.  I did the meet and greets with Zebra, Jackyl and Overkill.  Main guys in Zebra and Overkill very engaging.  Blitz with Overkill especially so.  Just a blue collar guy from tristate area.  Told them I was seeing them later that year in Germany and that I worked with a Belgian in NATO that was from his wife's hometown in Belgium so that slowed down the line a bit lol.  Jackyl the lead singer was kind of standoffish.  You never know if they are having a bad day, or maybe that is just how they are offstage.  The Worley brothers more than made up for it (guitars and drums).  Sound had issues all day.  Band production managers were not happy with the festival FOH engineers.  Lots of bitching to get levels right for soundcheck between sets.  Food trucks I sampled were really good.  There was a BBQ truck next to the pig racing area (yeah did I mention the pig racing?) I loved that irony.

Sunday was about the same weather.  Bands I checked out were Legion, Four By Fate, Citizen Zero, Trixter, Bulletboys (outside stadium), Jim Bruer, Sebastian Bach, Life Of Agony, Tom Keifer, The Used, Doro (outside stadium) and Halestorm. Legion, Four By Fate, and Citizen Zero are good bands but won't really move up much more than where they are now.  Good opening bands for a tour.  Trixter was pretty good but not going to be big outside of their area.  Bulletboys singer still has dreams of 1980's David Lee Roth rock god (needs to ditch the wig) but at least he can still sing.  Jim Bruer was hillarious and his band was really good too.  Mainly a novelty thing but I'd pay to see them at a club.  Bach used to be good.  I've seen him meltdown a few times at other festivals in the last few years with equipment issues.  And his higher register is more scream than melodic anymore.  My first time to see Life of Agony and wasnt impressed.  Not my type of music.  Dont know how often they play or rehearse but sounded real sloppy and lots of dead time between songs for as high up on the bill as they were (Second to last on second stage).  The Used are good, tight set, just not into them is all.  Tom Keifer was great has a good band behind him and you'll get all the Cinderella tunes plus his country tinged blues rock solo songs.  Lzzy Hale came out to jam on a Cinderella tune (I think it was Nobody's Fool)  Halestorm closed out the festival.  Ironic name considering the weather lol.  Wasnt a fan of the album they were touring but man this band is good.  I'm hoping Lzzy doesnt blow out her vocal cords.  She did have Steve Whiteman from Kix as a vocal coach for awhile and his voice sounds better now in his 60's than he did in the 80's.  Always worth it to see Halestorm.  Did the meet and greets with Jim Bruer, Tom Keifer and Doro.  All three were a blast to meet but I gotta say Doro is one of the most genuine rock stars I have ever met.  Very engaging and I mentioned I was going to her show at a venue in Germany that December and she immediately said the town name and asked if I already had a ticket as it was sold out.  I'm convinced if I said no, she would have put me on the guest list. 

Overall I enjoyed the festival.  Weather could have been better but its what you get with a festival close the the Jersey Shore in late september. 

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
Ok, I cleared my previous clutter out of here and made my complete list of shows in the other thread. Now I'll try and go back and list what I consider to be the best of the bunch. I'll try not to list too many lol.

Motley Crue/Whitesnake: Spectrum, Philly (8/4/87)
Iron Maiden/Ace Frehley's Comet: Spectrum, Philly (7/22/88)
Yes: Trump Taj Mahal - Atlantic City, NJ (5/13/91) Union Tour
Yes: Spectrum, Philly (4/16/91) Union Tour
Yes: Spectrum, Philly (8/12/91) Union Tour
Guns N Roses: Spectrum, Philly (12/16/92)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Mann Music Center, Philly (7/24/92)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Tower Theatre, Philly (2/5/93)
Paul McCartney: Veterans Stadium, Philly (6/13/93)
Pink Floyd: Veterans Stadium, Philly (6/2/94)
Billy Joel/Elton John: Veterans Stadium, Philly (7/12/94)
Allman Brothers Band/Blues Traveler/ Big Head Todd & The Monsters: Mann Music Center, Philly (8/28/94)
Rolling Stones: Veterans Stadium, Philly (9/22/94)
Blue Oyster Cult/Yngwie Malmsteen: Keswick Theatre- Glenside, PA (11/26/94)
Megadeth/Corrosion of Conformity: Civic Center (Convention Hall) Philly 2/6/95)
Page/Plant: Spectrum, Philly (4/4/95)
Queensryche: Blockbuster Entertainment Center- Camden, NJ (7/19/95)
Blue Oyster Cult: The Big Kahuna- Wilmington, DE (8/19/95)
U.F.O: Birch Hill Complex- Old Bridge, NJ (9/8/95) Reunited Schenker Lineup
AC/DC/The Poor: Spectrum, Philly (3/14/96)
Metallica/Corrosion of Conformity: Corestates Center - Philly (3/7/97)
Rush: Entertainment Center- Camden, NJ (6/22/97)
Robin Trower: TLA, Philly (7/23/97)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Tower Theatre, Philly (9/11/97)

From 1987-97 those were probably the best.