Author Topic: Cell Phones at Concerts  (Read 448 times)

Rockox

• View Profile
Cell Phones at Concerts
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
Loudwire posted a pretty interesting article about whether or not cell phones should be banned at concerts.

http://loudwire.com/cell-phones-concerts-ban-or-not/

What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, as long it's not obstructing my view, I couldn't give a shit if someone wants to film the whole show. I'll take the odd pic here and there and maybe a few seconds of one or two songs, but that's usually about it. I can't figure out these guys who will film the entirety of multiple songs and then post em up on Youtube, but if that's the way they want to "experience" a show (such as it is), at least people like me get to benefit from it by watching it for free and without having to look like a goof by holding up a phone for 5 straight minutes.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phones at Concerts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:34:45 AM »
I'm on the fence on this one, there are things I like about it and things I don't. I have been to a boatload of concerts in my life (I'm up to 300 and some odd shows- someday I'll list them all on here) obviously a lot of them predate the camera phone era and rage, and quite a few post date it. so I've witnessed a good bit of both.

Help me out here somebody? does anybody know what year/how long ago the camera phones became a popular thing where you started seeing more than just a few popping out? I can't remember how long it's been since this started going on. What I do know is that what once was a few dozen utilizing them, has now turned into a fucking sea of camera phones recording video at every show.

Like Rock, overall I don't really give a shit, at some shows it gets on my nerves at others it doesn't. It all comes down to how many are right in my face or in my line of vision, if they aren't in my sight line then I really don't care, but I've been to a few shows where there are like twenty of them right in my friggin view point casting the light and glare back at me and it does get annoying. I too am guilty but like rock said I typically will take a handful of photo's and maybe one or two couple  minute video shots of part of a favorite song or two.

The pro's of cell phone usage at concerts:
I definitely take advantage of watching footage uploaded to you tube so I benefit from that.
It looks cool when everybody lights them up, kinda the new cigarette lighter effect.
I do not upload the little bit of pics and video I personally shoot, and honestly I end up deleting most of it off my phone after while, but it's nice to have and enjoy for a while.

The con's:
The glare and light it throws back and everybody's arms in the air in your line of sight or right in front of you at shows.
People preoccupied with that shit and not paying attention and getting involved with the show.

But this is today's society now. It's not just at concerts. People are walking into doors, walls and street signs cause they are looking down face buried in their fucking phone. You can't even have a conversation with somebody anymore with out them pulling out their I phone and texting or looking at their face book or twitter shit while your talking. People are all over the roads and most of em aren't drinking they're fuckin texting. I can't tell ya how many people I almost run over in center city Philly going to jobsites that walk right out in the street and don't look cause their face is buried in their phone  ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:38:26 AM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
I think it has gotten pretty annoying at this stage. It's too many, too much. The only value is the good quality ones (which are a minority of them) that get posted to you tube for others to enjoy that either can't afford or otherwise couldn't make the show. Especially since many band gigs skip a lot of markets. That's my 2 cents.

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Dont use a tablet to film the show.

Turn off your fucking flash.

The tipping point I think was about 8 or 9 years ago.  But there's no turning back now.  None of the physical methods (i.e. the Yondr pouches) will work on larger venues. 

When some asshat is videoing right in front of me more than one song I make sure to scream along to fuck up their video  >:D

Article was a good debate.  I can see it being annoying to look out at a sea of smartphones for the bands.  And I do appreciate the better quality vids that get posted to youtube.  I do not think its right for an artist to take a phone away from someone.  Leave it to security to talk with the individual. 

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
I definitely agree it's not right for the artist or even the venue to ban them  or take them away from people.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »

When some asshat is videoing right in front of me more than one song I make sure to scream along to fuck up their video  >:D

I've done that at a few shows and it's worked, the douche bag moved away from me to a different spot  >:D

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:23 PM »
I'll have to try that  ;D I'll give that a test go at next months Michael Schenker Fest show, my luck I'll get in a fight and get thrown out  :D
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)