Author Topic: If Scott Doesn't Return to the Band  (Read 9096 times)

Dream Evil

• View Profile
Re: If Scott Doesn't Return to the Band
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Yeah they do have balls alright, they just keep blowing it off and ignoring it for the most part. The only thing I saw them comment on is acknowledging that Scott will not be playing the MOR cruise. I guess they felt the need to disclose that one because people were traveling and paying big bucks for that one. I just don't think it's a real wise move to be recording the follow up to Condition Human, which everybody pretty much liked very much, with todays instant gratification social media and not even acknowledge who is drumming on it while recording. They could have at least got people off their back by just stating that Scot already recorded his parts, but I guess they didn't say that because that isn't true, so then Casey must be doing it.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »
Todd posted this on FB in response to a fan demanding the band make an announcement:

“Unless [the demanding fan] knows something I don't (he doesn't), Scott is not "out of the band". He is ON PATERNITY LEAVE, for as long as he sees fit, and the few here demanding more should respect his privacy, along with ours.  He has given 35+ years to the fans, and he's being a happy and proud parent.   We have stated numerous times this news. Queensryche is recording an album, we are touring with Casey as we have been doing for nine months or so. Business as usual.  We will post news and updates as we have been. And hey...bands need some mystery like the good old days before social media!

“We appreciate all of the valued support of everyone, including those that feel they deserve or are entitled to anything more than great music and performances  :)
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
I hope he isn't just blowing smoke up peoples ass to get them to stop asking about it on his facebook page cause if so he'll have to answer to that quote if it's later proved to be bullshit. Because that quote gives people the impression that Scott is still in the band and will be returning, and don't think for a minute that the band members don't already know as they record their new album and tour plans if he is coming back or not. 

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
I hope he isn't just blowing smoke up peoples ass to get them to stop asking about it on his facebook page cause if so he'll have to answer to that quote if it's later proved to be bullshit.

Yeah, and I think some people's problem is exactly how it's being worded:

"Queensryche is recording an album, we are touring with Casey."

The band could very easily say "Queensryche - which still includes Scott- is recording an album" but instead they are merely saying "Queensryche." I think it's that lack of specificity that's getting people riled up. Because the "connecting the dots" that Todd criticizes (quote below) probably goes something like this: When the band just says "Queensryche" but doesn't specifically mention Scott, the implication is that the band might actually be telling the truth. Except for the fact that "Queensryche" doesn't include Scott anymore.

And if the band announces Scott is not in the band anymore, I could see band members having to continually say: "We are still Queensryche. When Chris left the band, we were still Queensryche. When Geoff left the band, we were still Queensryche. And now Scott has left the band, yet we are still Queensryche."

Here's a few more Todd quotes from the FB posts:

"It's the "connecting the dots" assertions that gets old. We have nothing new to share right now, so why keep repeating what is already known? So Casey left, so what? He has a million things going on. Scott is not touring for reasons explained. Asserting anything beyond our news and what we know kinda feels like a put down to us, to use your words."

"if you are frustrated than I really believe your frustration should not be toward us. If you are frustrated that Scott is not touring with us then that has absolutely nothing to do with us because that was not our decision. Scott told us he was taking paternity leave, and that's honestly all that I know. I have no idea what his plans are regarding touring. Maybe he doesn't even know. I did not expect him to be out but for a few months. He wanted to continue staying home with his son and family which I 100% understand...

"I've already stated what I know. If Scott decided one day that he simply does not want to tour anymore then that is his right in his decision, but being angry at us is really not fair for someone else's decisions that make them happy in life. So for now, we are continuing to do what we do which is make music and tour. Hope that makes sense to you and you fully understand these points. Ask Scott what he wants, and if he doesn't reply, then u can say how upset u are that your favorite drummer didn't answer you(like I am answering you), but it still doesn't change anything. We are just people wanting to create great music man."
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »
I hope he isn't just blowing smoke up peoples ass to get them to stop asking about it on his facebook page cause if so he'll have to answer to that quote if it's later proved to be bullshit.

Because that quote gives people the impression that Scott is still in the band and will be returning, and don't think for a minute that the band members don't already know as they record their new album and tour plans if he is coming back or not.

Agreed DE--- and well said.  8)

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
If you do a google image search for Scott Rockenfield, you get a ton of results with Casey "He's Great But He's No Scott" Grillo's face instead of Scott's. How embarrassing.  ;D

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
I'm quite surprised that nothing has been announced or said about this as of yet since Casey's Kamelot announcement. Has anyone in the history of paternity leave (especially from a Male perspective) ever taken more than a year off without so much as a statement. We'll be coming up on that one year mark in about two months if nothing else is said between now and then  :-\
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
I find Todd's "connecting the dots" comment interesting.  It's 2018 and most everyone is walking around with more computing power in their hand then NASA had to put Apollo missions to the moon and back.  Of course we connect dots because it's human nature.  Here is a musician who takes 10 months off (and counting) in an industry that you need to tour relentlessly if you want to make money.  Bands have members fall of the wagon and come back in less time (Kix's Ronnie Younkins missed a gig early in 2017 due to a relapse, and was back in the saddle a few months later) than this paternity leave is shaping up to be.  Then the drummer filling in for the bandmember leaves his primary band just as this band is getting ready to enter the studio to record a new album.  Yes I am connecting dots.  And if it comes to pass that Scott retires from the touring part or even all together, the band is going to get harrangued for how they handled the PR on this.  And even if he does come back, its something they and he will be questioned on as much or maybe more in the near term than "will Tate and/or DeGarmo come back to the fold in some form". 

Look at how Priest handled the sudden decision of Tipton to sit out the current tour.  They made the revelation that he's been battling Parkinson's for 10 years.  That fact was kept quiet (rightly so as it didnt have an impact) until now.  Once he realized during tour rehearsals it was going to severely impact what he thought the songs should sound like, they contacted someone to agree to fill his part on the tour.  Easy peasy. 

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
They should just call it Rising Wept (Wilton Eddie Parker Todd).

Right, because Rising West wasn't a goofy name. ::)

livgrnfan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 09:37:08 PM »
Hey all.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I, too, am frustrated with the secrecy surrounding Scott, but Todd's answer mostly satisfied me.  It made me think that the lack of information around Scott's status was also done at Scott's request.  Also, Casey commented on this post:

https://www.facebook.com/casey.grillo.7/posts/10156525757790695

Replying to Christiana Sk˙e asking "Are you the new drummer for Queensr˙che? Blink once for yes.", Casey said "Sorry bud.. not.. just helping out."  Much as I like Casey's drumming, I hope this is the final answer and that Scott returns soon.

Also, just spitballing, I think Scott's second-youngest son Willem is 18 and/or on his last term of high school.  That's a pretty heady time especially for a child enduring their parents divorcing.  Maybe the paternity leave is as much for Willem as it is for Rockson.  If my guess is actually correct, then I would not be surprised if Scott returned by the June shows (or after the August show if he wants to spend the summer with his soon-off-to-post-high-school-endeavors son).  I know this is a Heaton-esque observation, but I won't knock anyone for disagreeing or even thinking I'm a stupid busybody for this reacher.  :P

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
QR posted this on their FB this morning:

"Ed Bass throwing down the last 2 songs with Chris Zeuss Harris in the studio! We only have vocals and guitar solos to finish, but we're very happy with the direction of the new album!

"And for those asking again about Scott and whether he has quit the band - he has not quit the band. He told us he's taking time off and we have no time frame on when he will return. We thought he would take few months off, obviously he doesn't want to tour right now. There is nothing more we can say about it and we can't be more honest about it than that."

Ok, so he hasn't quit the band, doesn't want to tour, and likely didn't play on the new album (Todd also recently said Casey "Nice guy but where's Scott" Grillo didn't play on the new album either). So what exactly is Scott still doing in the band?

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
He's the accountant, payroll administrator and answering the phones over there now  :o  ;D

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:15 AM »
Here's my guess. Todd (or a session player) played drums on the new album. Todd said he's hoping for a September or October release date so Scott still has a few more months to decide what he wants to do. Either:

1. He'll stay on parental leave and allow the record to be released with the already-recorded drums;

2. He'll record his parts over the already-recorded drums in time for the release of the album; or

3. THEY'LL RELEASE TWO VERSIONS OF THE NEW ALBUM. THE FIRST ONE WITH TODD (or someone else) ON DRUMS AND THE SECOND ONE IN 2019 WITH SCOTT ON DRUMS. HOLEEEEE SHIIIIITT.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
Scott needs to make a decision and make a fucking announcement and shit or get off the pot. This shit no doubt has to be weighing on the other band members, band site administrators and management and it isn't their fault, and it isn't fair to them to be dealing with all this secrecy bullshit. Unless of course everybody knows what the fuckin deal is but nobody wants to say it. So yeah, Scott needs to officially make a statement and decide what his immediate future plans are and put it to rest. 
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
All that post did was throw a bigger log and some gasoline on the fire within the fanbase.  Mentions Scott not touring but not a word that "hey he dropped in and laid down the drum tracks for the new album!" 

So if Scott was not mentioned as drumming on the tracks, one of the band members says Casey didnt, I know Todd is a good drummer but would be surprised if he laid down the drums, who did?  Bobby Blotzer?