Author Topic: If Scott Doesn't Return to the Band  (Read 7601 times)

Rockox

• View Profile
If Scott Doesn't Return to the Band
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
First off, lemme just say that having a lengthy parental leave is nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know what it is in the States, but in Canada it's like 12 months. Granted, that's typically for the mother, but whatever. My wife took a year off for each of our kids and I took 6 weeks off for each of them. It was pretty great.

That said.

For the sake of argument, let's say Scott doesn't return to the band for whatever reason and they end up getting someone like Casey "When's Scott Comin Back" Grillo. How would that impact your enjoyment of Queensryche's music, be it live or in the studio?

For me, I've enjoyed what Scott has done on the last two QR records (which is saying something because I typically don't worry about the drums as long as they're properly servicing the song and the rhythm section), but at the end of the day I wouldn't be too upset if he packed it in. Maybe going back to doing more soundtrack work would afford him the opportunity to stay home with his family more. Who knows.

I just kinda wish the band were a little forthcoming in letting their fans know when or if Scott was coming back.
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: If Scott Doesn't Return to the Band
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
While nothing has been confirmed either way, which isn't good in my opinion. I'm glad you made this a stand alone topic. I thought it was perfectly normal and a combination of the guy wanting to stay home for a bit of an extended time with the new baby, and maybe being a little burned out and needing a breather after all the turmoil and work load of the last several years so he said now is a good time to extend this and take a break. But now I wonder if that hasn't turned into, maybe it's a good time to either take a partial or a more permanent break. 

I started to think about this a little while back. Who takes this long off for a paternity leave? How many rock and roll band guys can you think of that have done so? I can't think of many, if any. But up until a few weeks ago I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

As the new year approached and I started really dissecting recent interviews and kept seeing the same thing, very little mention of Scott, I started to wonder if there was more to this, if maybe other band members were keeping quiet because he had already made this decision and he had everybody keep it secret while the band and management figured out how to make it public, or maybe there was a silence because he hadn't decided yet but had made it known that he was contemplating it.

I didn't want to jump to conclusions and start a bad rumor mill, that is what a certain someone that we all are very familiar with (looking at you B) would have done if his site was still around. So what I did was dip a toe in the water by making mention of my concern in the new album thread. I also saw someone else conveniently question "what's the deal with Scott" on the official band forum in a thread, so I saw my opportunity and I questioned it and made my concerns known. To my dismay that post/concern went unanswered, fueling even more suspicion on my part.

The admin over there is a good dude. I didn't even really want to bring that part up. But he can't answer to that question/suspicion if  1) he may not even know the answer to it, and 2) even if he did, he sure as hell can't answer to it without the bands blessing and consent on the bands official site forum. But days passed, if the fans were curious and suspicious and it was absolutely false and they know it, you think somebody would have put that sentiment to rest, but that didn't happen. Then I started noticing that a few other people commented, and added that people were bringing it up and questioning it on social media as well (this included Fozzy O'Hare's wife and supposedly on the band and members own facebook pages) and those were being avoided and nobody was addressing them. I'm not on social media so I don't follow that shit, but that is a fucking red flag right there.

How hard is it for Scott to post a little "jeez people, relax I'll be in the studio next week just took a little vacation, all is good can't wait to return" kind of post/tweet something. That hasn't happened.

So I believe,  it now is to the point where a lot of people are suspecting the worst and questioning this, and with social media the band is certainly aware of it, word travels fast these days. and no one has put it to rest or said a word to put anyone at ease with it. That's not good. If it was not a legitimate concern or have some type of truth involved you would think somebody from the band or management, preferably Scott himself would have cleared the air and discounted it by now. Why haven't they. Cause the suspicions are real ? maybe. We will soon find out I'm sure cause now there is growing concern and people are apparently talking about it and asking questions, so they can't hold this back too much longer, I wouldn't think.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:17:59 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
Now I'll answer the question of, if in fact that is what is happening here, in some capacity. What would be the impact?
 My guess is that one of two things would be the case. either he would stay on as a writing and recording member of the band and relinquish touring duties to Casey or another touring drummer so that he can stay home and off the road, there is precedent for that, we have seen other musicians do this over the years. That would be a little lesser of a hit to the band I think.

The second would be if he outright retired from the band, and the hush, hush, aspect may be because they wanted to wait and formally announce a permanent replacement at the time of making it public. If that were the case, I think that is a little bigger hit to the band. why? Like Rock said, drummer, eh...can get around that. The trouble is that after DeGarmo left, Tate and Scott were the most visible members when it came to interviews and leading the band for the most part. Michael and Todd have, since Tate's departure, been a little more in the forefront and Scott seemed to have even taken more of a back seat to those two, so that isn't that big of a concern to me now that Whip and Todd have done that and done it well in my opinion.

So would it really be that big of a deal?
I'm a fan of numerous bands that have been splintered over the years losing as much as half the lineup to replacement members, some of which are down to two original members, some having only one original member. Look at Kansas, Styx, King Crimson, Nazareth, Deep Purple, UFO, Faster Pussycat, Dokken, and a laundry list of others. Fortunately Queensryche was a five member band, so having already lost two members, if they lost Scott they would still have two remaining. My preference would be three, of course. The more original members the better obviously. Could they survive with two, absolutely.

How would that go musically for the band? That might actually turn the bands sound a little harder edged and more metal cause you'd have Michael, Todd and Parker taking that much more the lead on things and those three are the more "metal' and harder edged contingency of the band. Hopefully Ed Bass would be cool with that and stick around for the long haul. So that could definitely, depending on your perspective be somewhat of a positive in that regard (for those that want the band leaning toward a more harder metal direction) and I think that would be the end result if that were the case.

So to me, while I'd prefer Scott remain, I will continue to support this lineup and any new music that they put out. From a live standpoint, either option above being the case (either of which Scott would not be involved in live shows) I would still go and catch the band live at every opportunity that I got.             
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:22:39 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »
I went to their Facebook page and read every post dating back to the first of December, I lost count at how many people inquired about Scott's return, What's up with Scott, When will Scott be back, will he be on the new album. Every single one, my guess they numbered at least fifteen went unanswered. Meanwhile, whoever does their posting were answering other inquiries and posting pictures, videos and odds and ends and concert ticket sale info for upcoming booked shows.

They did answer one question that I saw from 12/20/17, Will Scott be back for the Monsters of Rock cruise, and they said NO. That cruise isn't until next month, so I guess it's safe to assume his return is at least another month away, if at all. The very next poster ( the same day or a day later) asked if Scott will be on he new album, that inquiry has went unanswered as well as of five minutes ago.

Tour dates are on sale for several of the booked dates that are lined up as of this time. If they know that he is not going to be participating while selling tickets to upcoming shows. That would be pretty fucked up that they are not saying anything regarding this. The question has been asked and it's been brought to their attention. I don't like the secrecy one way or the other.

How fucking hard is it to put out a two sentence official statement that puts fans at ease and disqualifies the speculation, That is, unless there is some truth to the speculation. If I were them I wouldn't wait too much longer to make a statement or they may catch some backlash either way.

Cause if they come out next week and somebody says all is well, my response would be was that so fucking difficult? why did you wait so long. People been asking this since the Beginning of December. If there is some fire to go with this smoke then I can understand that they would want to get their ducks in a row first and that is what makes me think there's more to this story and we're not going to like the outcome.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
So it looks like he will have been gone a full year as of the end of March, and considering he will not be participating in the MOR Cruise. That isn't all that far beyond the date of that cruise. I would certainly hope somebody addresses this shit by then.

Sully NM_156

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
Just putting this out there, but first thing that came to my mind is maybe the child was born with problems.  A couple months in a NICU would be draining.  That would explain the lack of an update.  They could be keeping it quite out of respect to Scott and his family.  No idea if that is the case, but that is just where my mind went.  Still, they are starting recording of the next album.  They should give some sort of update.  Even if it is just "Scott is continuing his sabbatical" that would be neutral enough and still respect his privacy.

I would be disappointed if he splits.  IMO, his drumming style is a unique part of the band and would be missed.  It would sound different, especially considering he kind of had a resurgence on the last two records after being somewhat MIA on the Tate/Slater albums (which we know is because he probably didn't even play on them).  I'd still be interested in the band, but the enthusiasm would be down a bit.  then again, if they can survive Degarmo leaving they can probably survive Scott.  I think it helps the Latorre and Parker have established themselves already. 

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »
Well, putting all that together and evaluating that information, coupled with I do believe they currently have reconvened in the studio to begin work on the record, that doesn't look good.
 It's no secret that Scott wasn't involved much in a few previous albums (thanks to Geoff and Slater) so maybe they're laying down some basic tracks without him using Todd and Casey to fill in until his return and he will lay down his drum tracks later. Interesting situation for sure.
 I'm sure they will put up some studio footage or photo's soon, and if Scott isn't shown in any of those photos, they are going to get further bombarded with questions regarding his involvement or lack thereof.

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:24 PM »
Just putting this out there, but first thing that came to my mind is maybe the child was born with problems.  A couple months in a NICU would be draining.  That would explain the lack of an update.  They could be keeping it quite out of respect to Scott and his family.  No idea if that is the case, but that is just where my mind went.  Still, they are starting recording of the next album.  They should give some sort of update.  Even if it is just "Scott is continuing his sabbatical" that would be neutral enough and still respect his privacy.

I would be disappointed if he splits.  IMO, his drumming style is a unique part of the band and would be missed.  It would sound different, especially considering he kind of had a resurgence on the last two records after being somewhat MIA on the Tate/Slater albums (which we know is because he probably didn't even play on them).  I'd still be interested in the band, but the enthusiasm would be down a bit.  then again, if they can survive Degarmo leaving they can probably survive Scott.  I think it helps the Latorre and Parker have established themselves already.

Plausible possibility but they put a photo up on Facebook of Scott and son on a Christmas card. Looks like a cute little healthy guy to me.  :)
https://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/photos/a.183090515157442.43082.163601033773057/1206438589489291/?type=3&theater

I too would be pretty damn disappointed if he left. The drumming on the last two albums was phenomenal, and the live shows with Casey, as respectable as he is, have been slightly off. I certainly prefer Scott. Agreed, it helps that Todd and Parker have established themselves and I highly doubt it would be the be all end all of the band. I'm sure they could survive and thrive with a replacement, but I rather they didn't have to. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:20:50 PM by Eye9 »

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »
Related question, how much does the number of original band members matter to you? If Scott were to leave and there would only be two original band members in Queensryche, does that bring the band's legitimacy down in your eyes? Or as long as the music is still good, it doesn't matter?
That Man/Machine Imperfection guy didn't post too much, but he was pretty much always right.

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Related question, how much does the number of original band members matter to you? If Scott were to leave and there would only be two original band members in Queensryche, does that bring the band's legitimacy down in your eyes? Or as long as the music is still good, it doesn't matter?

When there are less original members (or definitive members, take your pick) it does hurt a band's name. Yes, making great music helps, but it's ultimately tough for me to say that "it doesn't matter". Great music to me is also about the people behind it, not just the songs alone.  8)

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:53:57 PM »
The longer this goes unanswered by the band, the more likely it is that something is a miss here regarding Scott.  :(

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
Depends on the band and the situation as well as the quality of music. Yes is down to Steve Howe and Alan White from the classic era, and neither of them were original members and seem to be doing fine and just released a pretty ambitious and pretty damn good I might add live release performing most of Tales from Topographic Oceans and Drama (Topographic Drama - live across America).

In Queensryche's case, They went one member down because he basically decided to pursue a different career and pretty much all but left music outright. The singer was next to go because of his own actions, his decline in vocal ability and his tarnishing the bands image and catalog for years. So I say yes they could survive without Scott as long as the product they put out is still strong.

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
Lots of people have speculated over the last couple of years that this might be the last album the guys do. Maybe Scott is just getting all his ducks in a row before he dives back in one last time.

It's just bizarre that the band hasn't said anything about it. One of these days, they're going to have to post a picture of SOMEONE drumming in the studio. It's gonna either be Scott or someone else.

(Just to troll everyone, Queensryche should post a picture of Todd playing drums in the studio. Hahaha, that would be hilarious.)

Setzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »
Let the rumours float about Geoff coming back in, and kicking Todd behind the drum set  ;D
Owner of the Queensr˙che bootleg channel.
https://youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

Lucidity

• Visualize your dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
Let the rumours float about Geoff coming back in, and kicking Todd behind the drum set  ;D
Great idea! Awesome! :D