Author Topic: The Verdict (March 1, 2019) Album Discussion  (Read 7884 times)

99% vegan

• View Profile
Re: The Verdict (March 1, 2019) Album Discussion
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
My interpretation was more political. I was thinking about the Trump regime. Building your walls, more of the same, etc.

So hail, hail to deathmocracy
Hell for your thought crimes, hail to your piety
Oh, the irony, the antidote is the disease
The balancing of ignorance and atrophy

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »
Here is another link that has it listed available as a UK import in the 2 cd boxset format and has a red vinyl release available too.

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/vinyl/lp-cd/queensryche-the-verdict-transparent-red-vinyl.html

As a follow up to this. I pre ordered the 2 cd box set of The Verdict, I ordered mine from Nuclear Blast. It is a little on the pricey side, considering I'm purchasing it strictly for the bonus disc, since I've already pre ordered the cd from the pledge campaign. It came in at around $54 US dollars after the currency exchange. A little steep but I saw it as an opportunity to get those three Condition Human bonus tracks on cd, plus I want those 2018 acoustic versions. Everything on the bonus disc is pretty cool, except for the live tracks rehashed from the 2013 Self Titled album, as most I'm sure already have those.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
I would have waited it out for a while, it's bound to show up on ebay for cheaper after release  8)

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »
I'm really fuckin digging Man the Machine, that song is growing on me bigtime after numerous listens.  8) I can't wait to hear the next one.

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
Another track released the other day.  Definitely like this one better than the first:

Dark Reverie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dcf1EekiE
Quote from: NJFIREFIGHTER
That Justbob guy doesn't post too much, but he is pretty much always right  ;D

justbob

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
I don't remember hearing of any confirmation that Todd is the one actually drumming on this upcoming release (yes, there was some video of him behind the drum kit, but that could have just been him screwing around), but in reading the QR page on Century Media's website they come out and say it:

When personal commitments forced drummer Scott Rockenfeld to sit out the recording sessions that spanned between Seattle’s Uberbeatz, Michael Wilton’s Washington State home studio and Zeuss’ Planet-Z Studios in Hadley, Massachusetts, La Torre ably handled the drumming chores with the sort of reverence for QUEENSRźCHE’s subtleties and nuances he demonstrates behind the mic. “I’ve been drumming for 30 years,” says La Torre, who was recruited from Floridian metal band, Crimson Glory. “I certainly know the nuance and style of QUEENSRźCHE’s drum parts first hand so it certainly made me a logical choice to record the drums.”

http://www.centurymedia.com/artist.aspx?IdArtist=638
Quote from: NJFIREFIGHTER
That Justbob guy doesn't post too much, but he is pretty much always right  ;D

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »
Another track released the other day.  Definitely like this one better than the first:

Dark Reverie

I'm biased, it's no secret how much I love Todd, Parker and the current lineup. But God damn, this is coming to be expected from this lineup now, another great fucking song. I've listened to this one like five times in row and absolutely love this tune. I really liked Man the Machine a lot, that one is holding up well, but I think this one is a little stronger and moves the needle up a notch. Just think, if they are holding back the best , say four tracks on this record,  till later this is gonna one hell of a record.

To think how far back from the dead this band had to climb following the lackluster series of studio albums that preceded the Self Titled 2013 release, the Caberet debacle and the Tate losing his marbles and being fired and ensuing court battle insanity. This lineup of the band has released (soon to be, judging from these first two songs) three awesome friggin records, and this time they are even pulling it off with no involvement from Rockenfield. Pretty damn impressive.

Kudos to Parker, Dark Reverie is right up there with Where Dreams Go To Die. Wonder who played the layered keyboards appearing on this one, kind of gave it a little Rage for Order vibe.   8)     

(Shadow Walker: Nice to see you reading the thread, feel free to post your thoughts on the new songs dude, your certainly welcome to participate)  8) 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »

Dark Reverie

Agreed. This one is better than Man The Machine for sure.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
I don't remember hearing of any confirmation that Todd is the one actually drumming on this upcoming release (yes, there was some video of him behind the drum kit, but that could have just been him screwing around), but in reading the QR page on Century Media's website they come out and say it:

When personal commitments forced drummer Scott Rockenfeld to sit out the recording sessions that spanned between Seattle’s Uberbeatz, Michael Wilton’s Washington State home studio and Zeuss’ Planet-Z Studios in Hadley, Massachusetts, La Torre ably handled the drumming chores with the sort of reverence for QUEENSRźCHE’s subtleties and nuances he demonstrates behind the mic. “I’ve been drumming for 30 years,” says La Torre, who was recruited from Floridian metal band, Crimson Glory. “I certainly know the nuance and style of QUEENSRźCHE’s drum parts first hand so it certainly made me a logical choice to record the drums.”

Yes, this news likely just came out "officially" this week. However, Todd has also confirmed it on his FB page while chatting with fans.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »

Dark Reverie

I'm biased, it's no secret how much I love Todd, Parker and the current lineup. But God damn, this is coming to be expected from this lineup now, another great fucking song. I've listened to this one like five times in row and absolutely love this tune. I really liked Man the Machine a lot, that one is holding up well, but I think this one is a little stronger and moves the needle up a notch. Just think, if they are holding back the best , say four tracks on this record,  till later this is gonna one hell of a record.

To think how far back from the dead this band had to climb following the lackluster series of studio albums that preceded the Self Titled 2013 release, the Caberet debacle and the Tate losing his marbles and being fired and ensuing court battle insanity. This lineup of the band has released (soon to be, judging from these first two songs) three awesome friggin records, and this time they are even pulling it off with no involvement from Rockenfield. Pretty damn impressive.

Kudos to Parker, Dark Reverie is right up there with Where Dreams Go To Die. Wonder who played the layered keyboards appearing on this one, kind of gave it a little Rage for Order vibe.   8)     

(Shadow Walker: Nice to see you reading the thread, feel free to post your thoughts on the new songs dude, your certainly welcome to participate)  8)

Yes, you're definitely biased on the current lineup NJ! :D

Kidding aside, I feel pretty much the same way I did back in 2012. It's a solid incarnation, but not one that I would travel for to see multiple shows.

In my opinion, they'll never be able to capture the chemistry the original lineup had. That's a once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment for most recording artists, with only a small handful of exceptions.

Be that as it may, I'm happy they found La Torre though and carried on. I agree, Parker has also earned his place in the band as well. This lineup deserves to continue without question--- hopefully with Rockenfield still in the fold.  :(... 8)

ted262

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »

It came out on Twitter a while back after Eddie Trunk asked them about it.

Scott won’t give us a statement.  Due to his hiatus, we thought the most logical way to continue the album would be to keep it within the band, without an outside drummer, that’s why we used Todd.

https://twitter.com/queensryche/status/1067649883044114432?s=21

Eye9

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
I really like man the machine a lot, but I agree, I think dark reverie is a little better. Better song structure and I like the vocal changes and the drums and guitar harmonies are better in this one. Very solid song after a few listens. Agree with NJ's assessment that these songs are pretty impressive given the absence of Scott. They didn't miss a beat here. If this is a good representation of the quality of material on the whole record, I don't give a fuck if he comes back or not honestly  8) 

Dream Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
Pretty damn good song and great lyrics, Nicely done Parker. The lyric video is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86rOTinVRs

ShadowWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

Since you asked, neither song is doing much for me. I was pretty high on the TLT line-up when they hit the road with the Return To History tour (one of those shows is in my all time top five Queensryche shows I have attended) but it has been the law of diminishing returns since then. Of the first two albums this line up has released, A sum total of one song has stuck with me (In This Light). The albums have had no staying power and part of that is how the band has structured the live shows since TLT has joined. Gone are the two-hour shows that featured at least five or more songs from the current album being promoted. They just don't put the emphasis on new material the way the band did on every album tour up to DTC. And when the band doesn't get into it, my interest tends to follow.

That being said, the absence of SRock on drums is very noticeable on these new songs. The songs lack his unique groove. His playing is very nuanced and you really don't think about it too much until he is not there. Casey Grillo, as good as he has been, is not SRock and it shows in the live performance. Same with TLT on these two studio tracks. I could have made a legit case for Queensryche keeping the name up until now.

What I have heard from The Verdict so far is not what I would consider Queensryche. Neither song has hooked me in a way that has made me want to buy the tracks individually as I wait for the album's release. They just don't capture my imagination. Bland. Generic. No memorable hooks. And it could be my bias in finding the live shows to be enjoyable in the moment but forgettable once the final shows come to an end. The only reason why I plan on taking in two shows on this tour is because Fates Warning is on the bill (though I am worried FW will be cut short due to those shows being two of the three with a third act). While I hope to be pleasantly surprised by something on the rest of the album (and yes, I will buy it when it gets released to be ready for the tour just in case they actually decide to promote  the new album) to give me a reason to be excited about the band again, given my long history and the role it has played in forming some lasting friendships, not much is keeping me in the fold these days and neither song sparked any renewal of interest.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
Well, we certainly disagree and would be at opposite ends of the spectrum. I know there are those who absolutely prefer the original lineup over this one, me included, if we're speaking about the glory years. Those years however are LONG behind us, they ended by most people's standards after HITNF, some may argue after Promised Land, still others may argue after Tribe (me being one of them). So I never really get the idea that this lineup hasn't done anything worthwhile, when their last two, soon to be three albums, as well as their live performances have literally wiped the floor with their studio output and live shows from the bands 2006-2012 period.

I'm not sure why you or anyone else who were along for that 2006-2012 ride feels the way you do, everybody has their own opinions and the music of course is always subjective. but... Man, we went from Mindcrime 2, to Take Cover, to American Soldier, to Dedicated to Chaos, The Cabaret Tour, The Brazil meltdown, The Rocklahoma debacle, The court fight for the naming rights etc. How anybody cannot see the last two albums and the last six years live shows as a breath of fresh air after all that is beyond me.

Comparing any of the bands studio offerings from Mindcrime 2 to DTC  against S/T and Condition Human, and these two new songs is like comparing Rush's Moving Pictures or 2112 to Hold Your Fire. I don't get it. Same with the energy of the live shows.

Most of the comments regarding the last two albums, as well as the first two songs released from the new one that I've seen from all different sources all around the web have all been largely positive, I'd say at least a cumulative 75% positive overall, if not better than that.

I do agree with the lack of playing the new material live, hopefully that is going to get resolved this year, as it has been alluded to on the bands site and facebook page. But you had said that the new songs don't really do it for ya, and only "In this Light" has had any staying power. I sure as hell would imagine than, that nothing from Mindcrime 2 through DTC has had any staying power then?

The two hour sets, I don't care anymore about that. I'm older now and a 90 minute show suits me fine, as does seeing them in smaller venues at a nice price  ;D

I just don't get it, as a diehard Queensryche fan since the mid eighties, who's seen the band over thirty times and was just about at my breaking point to abandon the band after DTC, before divine intervention struck and Todd landed in the band and the result of that being more energetic live shows and two albums that are far superior than IMO anything the band has done since probably Promised Land. That is saying something, Geoff (pre 2006) is my favorite singer of all time and I love Todd's work.

I just find it hard to comprehend. Would you rather Geoff still be in the band and them making the kind of music on DTC or worse? I sure as hell wouldn't   8)