Author Topic: The Verdict (March 1, 2019) Album Discussion  (Read 18757 times)

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
The Verdict (March 1, 2019) Album Discussion
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
May as well kick off some discussion on the new album due in early 2019, we can merge it to a new thread once we have a title for the release.

Here is an interview with Whip Wilton stating that the band currently has twelve new songs basically completed for the new release.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-has-twelve-songs-written-for-next-album/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:38:52 AM by NJFIREFIGHTER »
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Dream Evil

Re: New Album Thread for the new 2018 release
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »
Twelve is the exact number that was on Condition Human. So that is cool. A few extra would be nice unless a couple are going to be longer in length. I'm sure they will also have a few extras to use as bonus tracks somewhere along the line with different releases of the record. I have no reason to believe it won't be just as good, if not better than the last one. It actually won't surprise me if it is even better.

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:12:21 AM »
I have a pretty good feeling that this one is going to be every bit as good as CH, and maybe even better. we shall see. A lot of bands have chosen to not record new music as much these days, Hopefully this won't be the last one. I personally don't think it will be. I think they have at least one more in them after this one.

I wish though that sooner or later they would transition over to doing a split set live show and playing a set of the new material and then maybe a short break and then doing a set of older material. at least for their full length headline shows. I don't even need the show extended beyond the 80 minute mark. But at least give me a half hour to forty minutes of new stuff then forty to fifty minutes of the older material to total out at around the eighty minute mark. Wishful thinking huh  8)

I sat, actually stood through multiple shows when they did both Mindcrime's on tour, I think the old school fans would survive and even enjoy a set of the newer material. I don't quite understand their logic in thinking otherwise (that fans just wanna hear the classic material).   

RTM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
This album SHOULD be the release where post Tate QR finds their rhythm and reach their potential, but I'm skeptical.

Self Titled  was badass, but the compositions felt elementary by QR standards, and the sub 40 minute run time was suspicious for a band that had allegedly been  shut out of the writing process for a decade.

With Condition Human the guys took their time,  adding depth and complexity to the songs while letting the album breathe more. That being said,  CH wasn't without its flaws - even Todd admitted the album had a few too many mid tempo tunes and lost steam (American Soldier anyone...)

Logically I would expect the third release to build on the positives of CH while addressing it's faults, leaving us with an album representative of post Tate QRs full potential. But is that realistic?

Maybe it's just me, but I  hear Todd fading in a serious way.  I see Ed digressing to the stage right statue of yesteryear. Scott has been on maternity leave so long he could've had another child by now, and The Whip is a grandfather.

My hopes are high,  but my expectations arent. Regardless of the outcome, it's clear the reborn QR have already had their 15 minutes,  though I would still love an album to rank amongst the classics.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:14:27 PM by RTM »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »
I think this lineup has pretty much already found and shown their rhythm and potential but the upcoming record could certainly add and build upon that. I too think the self titled was a badass record, I would argue to the contrary with the overall premise that the song compositions were elementary by Queensryche standards, songs like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "In This Light", "A World Without" and "Open Road" fit perfectly along side some of the bands best material in my opinion. Some of the remaining songs could have been fleshed out or expanded upon but remember this album and Frequency Unknown were somewhat rushed to get a leg up on the pending legal battle that lurked. Therefore I give a bit of a pass to the overall record and even it's length given the time constraints regarding the aforementioned legal situation surrounding the need to get this record out there. The hot mastering sucked but I give props that they were able to come right out of the gate with about six killer songs on that record.

Condition Human, yes agree they took their time adding depth and complexity and creating more atmosphere. I don't think there was TOO much mid tempo stuff or losing steam because a lot of that mid tempo stuff was really good. There is a difference, it was quality mid tempo stuff. I certainly would not mention American Soldier in the same breath. I like almost the entire record quite a bit and it has held up over time really well to my ears.

I think it is certainly possible that this upcoming record has the realistic potential to be even better than Condition Human and is capable of showing this lineup at it's best as this band continues to create with a new and expanded songwriting cohesive structure. That is if that in fact stays true, I'll get to that in a moment, but first I'd like to argue your next point.

I in no way, in listening to the Condition Human album and watching/listening to all the live clips on the net and having seen him live I think four times now, think for one second that Todd is losing steam or fading at all, and you said "in a serious way" I don't see that at all, I wholeheartedly disagree and I would like to see some evidence of that. I think you will see when he finally puts out his solo material that he has hit his stride now and is ultimately in his prime vocally.

Now to my concern that I mentioned above. Eddie has long been a statue stage right, not a concern John Entwhistle and many other bassist's (Roger Glover, Bill Wyman, John Wetton) have or had done this for years it kinda goes with the territory for several bass players. Whip being a grandfather no biggy, many not so old people are grandfathers, however, Scott Rockenfield is making me tremendously nervous with his prolonged long term absence and lack of any communication to the fans and no statements being made to put anybody's concerns for his return to rest one way or the other. I hope I'm wrong but are we about to get word soon that perhaps Scott has decided to retire from the band.

What would the level of damage be to the band if that were in fact to happen, and say Casey Grillo or even someone else was announced as a permanent replacement as they begin recording this album, or if he were to stay on as a recording member of the band but retire from live touring. Just putting it out there as I have seen no indication that this might be in the works, but I have also not seen anything out there to the contrary either.

I have yet to see any quotes regarding anyone in the band lately commenting on when he will return or totally rebutting any idea that he may not unless I missed it.       

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:48:36 PM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

Operation:Queensr˙che

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:36 AM »
Regarding Scott's return, I have to admit I'm starting to wonder about it too. The band enters the studio on Mon. 1/8 and there's no mention of his return.

Interestingly, Queensryche are scheduled to headline Harley Davidson's Backstage Biker Fest in Mesa, AZ. on 4/7 with (a version of?) Autograph opening the show. Only a mile from my house. I'll likely walk there!  :)

In May, Kamelot is playing here as well so I assume Kasey will be back with them by then. Yes, it appears to be a strange time for the band. I hope I'm wrong.  :(

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
I agree with most of what RTM says:

Self Titled was badass, but the compositions felt elementary by QR standards, and the sub 40 minute run time was suspicious for a band that had allegedly been shut out of the writing process for a decade.

I really like Self Titled, but it was obviously rushed, and the biggest bummer about the record for me was having an awesome chorus from "In This Light" get kinda wasted in a simple, by-the-numbers, unfinished-sounding song like it was.

With Condition Human the guys took their time, adding depth and complexity to the songs while letting the album breathe more. That being said, CH wasn't without its flaws - even Todd admitted the album had a few too many mid tempo tunes and lost steam

I've always said the "side one" of CH is awesome, but I still have a really hard time getting into the "side two" of it.

Maybe it's just me, but I hear Todd fading in a serious way...Scott has been on maternity leave so long he could've had another child by now

Regardless of how Todd performs live, he really knows how to rip ass in the studio, so I'm not too worried about him. If anything, I hope he goes a bit further outside of QR's comfort zone.

If Scott comes back, I could see him recording the record and doing touring until the end of the year (or at least the first few months of promoting the new album), but maybe that'll be it for him. Who knows what sort of challenges he and his family may be facing.
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

Rockox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
The one thing I will say about Todd’s singing on the new record is I hope he writes in a way that helps his live performances. His vocals on the last two albums worked on those albums, but when translated to a live performance, he seemed to have written them a bit too difficultly. So going forward, I hope he’s being a bit smarter with how he writes and makes a point to keep in mind places to breathe and finding a range that is comfortable not only in a single song, but within a 90-minute set.

It’s a tricky thing to do, because on one hand Todd wants to show everyone what he can do, but on the other hand he needs to “save his voice” somewhat for when he sings the really challenging old QR songs live. I certainly don’t envy his position.
"Does he talk about you so much it's an auto correct?"

Dream Evil

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of buzz to this point about the new album. It almost seems as if the bands hands are tied to give many updates or show recording footage teases and so forth due to the Scott Rock situation. Dream Theatre came out and made a few statements about making a heavy progressive new album and there's all kinds of buzz about that on the DTF. I know these records don't sell a lot these days, but wtf the band can't create some buzz and start early marketing and promotion tactics and get the fans excited. I wonder if the drummer and Scott situation is holding all that back. I'd have to figure it must be  :-\

frankdp23

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of buzz to this point about the new album. It almost seems as if the bands hands are tied to give many updates or show recording footage teases and so forth due to the Scott Rock situation. Dream Theatre came out and made a few statements about making a heavy progressive new album and there's all kinds of buzz about that on the DTF. I know these records don't sell a lot these days, but wtf the band can't create some buzz and start early marketing and promotion tactics and get the fans excited. I wonder if the drummer and Scott situation is holding all that back. I'd have to figure it must be  :-\

Being that the album they are saying will be released early next year, I would think that some of that buzz might start happening more towards October or so than now.  Having some buzz too soon makes it fade a bit and lose steam.

I'm a bit concerned about Scott too though.  I really hope he played on the new album.  Sounds like he didn't though.  I guess as long as his imput was there I can live with that. 

99% vegan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
QUEENSRYCHE TODD LA TORRE Interview! 6/14/18 Suquamish, WA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-GUWeIO-I

February 2019
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:25:21 PM by Vegan »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: New Album Thread for the upcoming 2019 release
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:29:05 AM »
I edited the thread title to reflect the anticipated release change to Feb, 2019. I wanted it sooner, but like Todd says in the interview, why rush it, make sure all the detail is in order and it's the best possible product. So I'll live with the later release date.

The interview itself is pretty good, sheds some light on things from an informational perspective.

I certainly trust his evaluation of what constitutes a great Queensryche record, especially present day Queensryche. This I base off of his body of work thus far with the band, his stage and live performances and that the fact that he too before joining was a big classic era fan of the band.

points of interest worth noting that I took from this interview were,
1) I like the fact that he loves the whole record, says all the songs are very good and there is no filler on this record.
2) I like that there are more faster paced songs on this album, I like the sound of there being more progressive elements and some creepy and haunting sounding stuff.  ;D
3) thought provoking lyrical content from a current events and political landscape. this particular point I hope does not go too far over the edge and become a negative.
4) The full record itself is pretty much completed and done at this time except for some bonus track material completion for import and deluxe etc editions.
5) video shooting in the next few months, teasers and studio footage forthcoming soon on the pledge campaign :D
6) He makes mention of the fly-in dates and saying that next year will commence a lot of ground touring and more of a full tour itinerary. I definitely like the sound of this and maybe this could be why Scott wanted an extended break and/or time to contemplate if he is up for doing that or if he would prefer to step aside  :-\

Two omissions not discussed, as most have come to expect first and foremost being the Scott Rock and who played the drums topic. He probably in all likelihood requested that the interviewer not even go there lol. Secondly, how about adding some newer material into the set list as this is the third record with this lineup. I understand that these records today are selling a ton and that Queensryche like a lot of other bands from that era aren't exactly breaking box offices and in the mainstream but the majority of the people going to the non festival shows are the die-hards and most of those I would argue want to hear more of the new stuff. I would love for them to do a full tour playing nothing but the three albums (counting this one when it gets released) that this lineup has released as a main set then play a four song classic encore. I know pipe dream  :(

But I'm very much looking forward to this new album and I have no reason to think it wont be every bit as good as the last two, which in my opinion are both stellar and each one is better collectively as a whole than any album they've done since Promised Land.   

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:42:42 AM by NJFIREFIGHTER »

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 03:07:26 AM »

Yeah, this latest interview with Todd puts me more at ease but until I listened to that interview I would have agreed as there really hasn't been any buzz at all on the official band forum either. After the where's Scott? stuff started to really crank up that forum died and has pretty much remained very quiet, after a few early studio shots and the analysis that those brought regarding where is Scott? those then stopped and none have been put up since. So this interview was a breath of fresh air. I guess they will start putting up the teasers and album details and get rolling with pre release hype in due time probably by end of summer or so.   

radardude65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 03:55:09 AM »
I'm running the BS flag up the pole on the "we are trying to do things right for the album art, track order, blah blah blah".  It's delayed over the situation with Scott. If that was sorted out now, that album would be out the end of July.  If not now lol. 

I dont see them going into full on Otep political rants.  Current events and politics are a real target rich environment right now but they aren't a political band, as in Otep or Ted Nugent, so I see more along the lines of Empire title track. 

They really need to step up touring.  And not just a week here or there when the Scorpions grace North America.  They need a package tour to special guest for Priest or Maiden for a solid 6 to 8 weeks maybe some solo headline dates in between when the old bands rest.  On headline shows drop Silent Lucidity and Jet City Woman.  Drop an EP song.  Drop most of O:M songs.  Play four of the new album songs along with one each from self title and Condition Human.  Put a moratorium on  dropping to less than four songs from the new album.  Swap some out but keep four in the set list for the first tour cycle year. 

They only played 41 shows last year.  They are on track for 41 shows this year.  They need to step that up for 2019. 

livgrnfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 04:16:01 AM »
I'm running the BS flag up the pole on the "we are trying to do things right for the album art, track order, blah blah blah".  It's delayed over the situation with Scott. If that was sorted out now, that album would be out the end of July.  If not now lol. 

I dont see them going into full on Otep political rants.  Current events and politics are a real target rich environment right now but they aren't a political band, as in Otep or Ted Nugent, so I see more along the lines of Empire title track. 

They really need to step up touring.  And not just a week here or there when the Scorpions grace North America.  They need a package tour to special guest for Priest or Maiden for a solid 6 to 8 weeks maybe some solo headline dates in between when the old bands rest.  On headline shows drop Silent Lucidity and Jet City Woman.  Drop an EP song.  Drop most of O:M songs.  Play four of the new album songs along with one each from self title and Condition Human.  Put a moratorium on  dropping to less than four songs from the new album.  Swap some out but keep four in the set list for the first tour cycle year. 

They only played 41 shows last year.  They are on track for 41 shows this year.  They need to step that up for 2019.

Agreed with all of this.  Todd did seem to strongly indicate that they will step up touring in 2019.  Hopefully this means around 80-100 shows in a year like in 2015 and 2016.  That almost definitely means they will have Scott's situation clarified before then.  If Scott doesn't want to do it, then I'd hope they can get someone like Mark Zonder.  If not, then either Casey or Dana Burnell would be good, too.

Todd also said his lyrics will try to encourage people to think instead of telling them what to think, so I think your assessment of being like Empire's title track is spot on.  As for the setlist, I'm hoping for three/four songs from the new album, All There Was, and Don't Look Back.  I wouldn't count on dropping Silent Lucidity or Jet City Woman, though.