Author Topic: Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick quit Megadeth  (Read 8315 times)

Maine Is Where Dreams Die

• View Profile
Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick quit Megadeth
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
With Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick both leaving Megadeth in consecutive days following the announcement that Megadeth will enter the studio in January, I'm guessing that the next album will be worse than the last.  I'd like to hear other opinions.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:45:10 AM by Maine Is Where Dreams Die »

bhg70

Re: Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick quit Megadeth
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Well, Supercollider is the album that got me into Megadeth in the first place, so I liked it quite a bit. I know it's not all that thrashy, but I'm okay with that.

I am disappointed that Chris and Shawn both left, especially so close together, but I am hopeful for the album.

New Reign

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »

Lucretia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »
I think they were asked to leave, and Dave already has replacements in mind. It'd just a little too coincidental for them to bail at the same time.

Travis The Dragon

• Dragon Of The Rÿche
    • View Profile
    • Light Up Fun
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
I know I'm being WAY too hopeful, but a Rust In Peace reunion lineup would be SO SWEET!
Countdown to Iron Maiden in concert!: http://tinyurl.com/zgc426t
Site Designer and Product Promotions for: http://www.lightupfun.com/
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/​
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

thrashinbatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »
I think they were asked to leave, and Dave already has replacements in mind. It'd just a little too coincidental for them to bail at the same time.
There's a chance that there was a dispute between Dave/David and Drover/Broderick, and they both decided to leave for the same reason, like what happened to Sabaton.

Maine Is Where Dreams Die

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »

Of course this is just speculation, but I highly doubt they were asked to leave.  Chris stated in his press release creative and artistic differences.  I think they found out the direction of the new album and didn't like it.  Just my opinion.

Wardy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
Little disappointed with this, while not up to the classic period nor the highs of Thirteen and other recent material, like bhg70 thought too Super Collider was quite tasty regardless and Broderick fantastic again :-\

Anyways, can only imagine perhaps some kinda reunion of sorts otherwise confused!?  Might be as simple as them not being happy with Dave's direction, who knows?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:12:19 PM by Wardy »

Nemo Atkins

• Just a small town boy living in a lonely world
    • View Profile
    • Nemo Atkins' Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
I have to say, while I do like the reunion speculation, if what I remember from the rumour mill about Broderick having material that he hoped would be used by Dave is accurate, it sounds like both of them wanted to provide material to Megadeth that wasn't mostly written by Dave, Dave was having none of it and they quit/were fired. If it was a case of a reunion or something that Mustaine was aware about for long enough to find new members, Megadeth would almost certainly have announced replacements at the same time as the news broke about Broderick and Drover leaving the band, so this leads me to suspect that they both left the band with immediate effect, not after a grace period to let Mustaine find new members for the band or agreeing to stay until new members were found like has occurred with friendly departures from other bands. So it's likely that there's some bad blood connected to this, although I'm honestly taking a guess there and could be very wrong indeed, so take that not as a statement, but as pure speculation on my part.

All speculation about why Drover and Broderick left the band aside, I've got three questions which I feel are worth bringing up connected to this (and apologies to the mods if these are off topic):

1) Is Dave going to be OK, especially considering his mother-in-law was found dead a few days after this news broke? I doubt that losing band members is going to be too much of an issue for him due to how many of them have been in the band in Megadeth's career, but the timing of this means it's likely going to be harder on him than usual.

2) What is going to be the plans involving the upcoming album? While I imagine that the band could get a session drummer for it and Dave could record all of the guitars, it's likely that going into the studio without a full line up is going to mean that no tour can be planned for the album until that's sorted, so this is going to make it harder to promote the album...which will be a huge shame if the new album turns out to not be the disaster that Drover and Broderick's departures have me suspecting that it's going to be!

3) Who is likely to be called up to fill the lead guitar and drummer spots? As much as everyone is probably calling for a reunion line up, I don't see that happening, but, at the same time, I don't see a lot of people wanting to work with Dave due to his reputation. I could MAYBE picture Dave Lombardo being the drummer for Megadeth if asked by Dave (he certainly sounds like he'd be happy to fill the drummer seat if asked from what I've noticed, so I could imagine him being happy to be a session drummer for the next Megadeth album as a sort of trial run to see if he'd suit the band), but the lead guitar spot is more difficult to fill. The name that springs to mind at the minute is Jeff Loomis (after all, he was asked to join the band when Glen Drover left the band and did audition for them in the 80s, so he would be a fairly natural choice), but he's recently joined Arch Enemy and I don't see Michael Amott being happy with having Arch Enemy considered to be like a side project by Loomis if he joins Megadeth, so I don't see that happening any time soon. On top of that, Loomis would probably have to put his solo career on hold if he joined Megadeth due to how intense their schedule seems to be, which I don't see being something Loomis would want to do, and it would also make a Nevermore reunion pretty much impossible (although I imagine that Warrel Dane and Jim Sheppard aren't holding out for that happening any time soon while Sanctuary is doing stuff again, so I doubt that this is going to be a deciding factor for Loomis if he is asked).

NJFIREFIGHTER

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Mustaine has had his issues with several of the former members, so much so that I'm not banking on any kinda nostalgia trip or ex members rejoining. I think he pulls a Coverdale and just brings in replacements and they may not even be well known names, just fill the roll guys that Mustaine can control and guys willing to take what he's willing to pay for their services, that's my guess.
Champion of the Queensryche Board Wars :)

Grappler

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
So Chris Broderick was interviewed on Sirius XM and Blabbermouth printed some exceprts regarding him and Shawn leavinig Megadeth and their future plans.  A snippet of the future plans are below.

I have to wonder if they're working with Todd LaTorre....Todd did the song with Glen Drover, so Shawn is definitely aware of him.  Then again, Shawn played in Eidolon with Glen and Nils K. Rue (of Pagan's Mind) sang on those albums.  Shawn also attended ProgPower USA recently, so he's been exposed to plenty of additional melodic metal talent as well.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chris-broderick-on-his-decision-to-leave-megadeth-it-was-simply-time/

Chris: "Well, one of the things that I've always wanted to do is a solo CD, so I'm definitely gonna be working on that in 2015. But one of the things that I've really recently become very excited about is, through talking with Shawn Drover, we've talked about how we had all this material that was never gonna get released, all these killer, heavy riffs that we had written and stuff, and so we just decided, 'Hey, why don't we put the stuff out? Why don't we form a band and get out these killer riffs, just to see what people think?' So we formed a band, we're working with a killer singer — he's awesome — and we've got record labels that have made some good offers on the table, and we're really excited about where that's gonna go."

bhg70

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
That would be awesome. I loved "Discordia." Todd's wail over a twin guitar attack from Chris and Glen? Yes, please!

AnybodyListening.net

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »
Well, it would make sense if the Broderick and the Drover brothers got together, potentially with Todd and a bass player.

But if they want to make it a full time band, I have to wonder if Todd has time.

Grappler

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
And the hopes are dashed quickly:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/exclusive-former-megadeth-members-broderick-and-drover-join-forces-with-ex-scar-the-martyr-singer/

Former SCAR THE MARTYR singer Henry Derek Bonner (pictured) has joined the as-yet-unnamed new band formed by ex-MEGADETH members Chris Broderick (guitar) and Shawn Drover (drums), BLABBERMOUTH.NET can exclusively reveal.

Asked whether the new band has a name, Chris said: "Here's the funny thing: we have many names. But the problem today is that there are so many bands out there that the first thing we've gotta do is run them by trademark and make sure that we can get… We don't wanna run into the 'GHOST' and the 'GHOST B.C.' issue, right?! So we're looking into trademarks on the names, and I would love to tell you, but we wanna save some of it for our official press release, and we'll talk about the singer then, and we'll have the record label on board by then."

Regarding whether the musical ideas that are being used in the new band are things that were originally presented to MEGADETH and were turned down or if they are brand new compositions, Chris said: "Some of them were presented, but then some of them also… I'd be, like, 'Oh, this isn't appropriate for MEGADETH, their sound.' I have a tendency to write very complex stuff, and so I've gotta watch it when I write and submit for MEGADETH under that kind of… I wanna make sure it's not too complex and too crazy and all over the place. So those are the things that I would have held back."

Grappler

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:40 AM »
Wacky Mustaine comments begin! 

My only hope is that the reference to his catalog of old riffs and not wanting to write another radio song mean that this new album is going to be a burner.  As much as he touted Supercollider, I think he's figured out again that fans just want him to rage.

The comment about prior members is weird.  Nick and Marty have both been putting the ball in Dave's court in interviews, saying things like "Never say never."  Now Dave's saying "fans don't want these other guys in the band...." 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-fans-dont-want-shawn-drover-and-chris-broderick-in-megadeth/

On whether he views lineup changes in MEGADETH as an exciting opportunity to have new people add their unique talent to the band or it's more disruptive than anything else:

Mustaine: "Well, it depends if they they really have talent and they come in or if they're a utility player. We've had a couple of situations [in] the past, where the 'Rust In Peace' lineup broke up, Jimmy DeGrasso [drums] came in. Jimmy was a great player; we never really congealed, though. Same with Al Pitrelli [guitar]. I love both those guys as people, and I have so much respect for them as players, but for some reason, we never really could get that equilibrium between all of us.

"When you're playing in a band together, that's as close as you'll ever get to another person without having sex with them. I mean, you can't get any closer to a bandmember. After that, [we had] James Lomenzo, James MacDonough, Glen Drover, Shawn Drover, Chris Broderick… all those guys… the fans don't want those guys in MEGADETH."

On his plans to record new music:

Mustaine: "I'm going in the studio March 2 no matter what. And the songs that we have right now, we talked to the label, and I said, 'I'm not making another radio song ever.' 'Cause that's what record companies want. And I think that was the bane of MEGADETH's existence. When 'Countdown [To Extinction]' came out, we had so many radio songs… From 'Countdown' to 'Youthanasia' to 'Cryptic [Writings]' to 'Risk' and going down and down and down, it was more radio, radio, radio… You know, I love all those songs, but it's not really what MEGADETH fans wanna hear; they wanna hear stuff like 'The Conjuring', like 'Set The World Afire', like 'Devil's Island', stuff like 'Holy Wars', stuff like 'Take No Prisoners'… And I get it — I wrote those songs, [and] I can do that in my sleep — but when you're having someone else say, 'This is what you have to do,' either you listen or you don't."

"The most exciting part right now is that I've been cataloging songs my whole career, and I had stuff from microcassettes to cassette tapes… I mean, I didn't have any 8-tracks, but I had everything possible that you could put any kind of medium of music on, including handwritten tablature. It took me three years to archive all this stuff."

On whether MEGADETH is largely a Dave Mustaine solo project as opposed to a real band:

Mustaine: "In MEGADETH, I think that my heart feels it's unfair to discredit the other guys that I'm playing with, because it is really a team effort, although I carry a lot of the weight. It's like a quarterback — I touch the ball on every play. Like a pitcher, I touch the ball on every play. But I do recognize that people know I'm the leader. Now some leaders can… they're like in the animal kingdom… the head's in the front and the asshole's in the back. But I think we're more like a living organism. Not so much as amoeba, but we all work together. It's, like, a car has four tires. And the reason that guys have been asked to leave or quit was because they decided they were gonna turn one direction and the other three wheels are going in a different direction."

On the songwriting process for his next studio album:

Mustaine: "I think because there's so much music that… I mean, there's music that I have saved from back around 'Peace Sells' era, 'So Far, So Good' era, stuff that I listen to it and I'm thinking, 'How the fuck did I play that?' So I have to put it into a machine and listen and slow it down and scoop out all the noise in the background so I can hear what I was doing, 'cause it's mindblowing riffing. That is what is exciting for me right now.

"When [bassist] David Ellefson did the last record, on 'Super Collider', the bass playing was really… He had said that he really had a lot of playing and stuff like that. And a lot of people don't like that record, because there's so many radio-type songs on it, and I think a lot of that has to do with the producer that you're working with."